Opinions on the real big boys? 500J, 505 Gibbs, .500 NE, 577NE, 600NE, 700NE etc.

I just received an email from Buffalo Bore. They now have two 577 NE loads. One 750gr TSX Solid and the other is a 750gr Cutting Edge Solid. $199/box of 5

Yes, they are also offering 600 NE and will be offering 500 NE. Tim Sundles is a big double rifle user.

Not sure the animal can tell much difference when I’m shooting the 505 Gibbs in either 570 grn or 600 grn. But since their isn’t much difference on range for what I’m using I have been using the 570 grain Swift A frames and break a way solids. Everything seems to die pretty quickly with that combo.

HH
I'm really last to speak on behalf of projectiles. Solid/Soft is my extent.

I was curious why a PH member here preferred 600's in the Jeffery? .. simply because that's all I have.
What is a break away Solid? or the theory .. if you find a chance.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I always had a double when I hunted Africa, mostly a 450-400, but a 577 and a 470, sold the 577 and booked a hunt, traded the 470 for a 450-400..the big boys never impressed me much, all fun and games..Back then you could buy a double for $6000 to $8000 keep it a year or so and double your money and buy two doubles, they paid for lots of hunting.

I have taken multiple elephants and buffalo with .500 MDM and .500 NE. Using @Red Leg 's example of a tight shot at 70 yards I would not hesitate to take that shot at a buffalo with my red dot equipped .500 NE OR .500 MDM from sticks. Now, elephant I'd want to be closer if going for a brain shot (my preference).

In regard to recoil and accuracy issues for a hunter, I submit it would take the same amount of practice to get proficient with a .375 as it would for a .500. Of course, if one does not practice then the caliber does not matter.

Leaving for Zim in 3 days with my .500 NE for a big tusker and a buffalo with CMS and Dean Kendall as PH once again.
We getting the report ?!

Still don't understand the theory of the TSX in 577.
I thought Elephants & solids were synonymous.

The TSX in the .577 is useful for everything that's lesser than brain shots on elephant. The 577s use isn't exclusive to elephant hunting. It's a wonderful thumper of buffalo, hippo, or just about anything you care to point it at.
Still don't understand the theory of the TSX in 577.
I thought Elephants & solids were synonymous.

The TSX in the .577 is useful for everything that's lesser than brain shots on elephant. The 577s use isn't exclusive to elephant hunting. It's a wonderful thumper of buffalo, hippo, or just about anything you care to point it at.
Thank you, just curious. The TSX seem to outsell the Solids, with Buffalo Bore's recent inventory.

Has been an interesting read. As a young man in the army I carried a M60 over hill and dale for more miles than I care to remember. at that time going to the woods with anything that weighed less than 20 pounds was acceptable. As father time puts a little more grey around the temples and pounds feel heavier than they did in my 20-40's. I now find 12lbs a much better carry all day weight. The costs of big bores have been covered. and recoil has been mentioned in FT/LBS of recoil and speed that the rifle comes back into your shoulder. Some people have a problem translating those number to felt recoil. so here is my attempt to explain felt recoil assuming a proper fitting rifle (Most important factor in a big bore)

Using american football positions for comparisons. you are the running back and the rifle is the defensive position that is tackling you.

375-450/400 class- Is like getting tackled by one of the cheerleaders on the sidelines
416-404 class - I like getting tackled bay the defensive back or connerback.
458-470 class - Is like getting tackled by a linebacker
500-505 class - Is like getting tackled by the defensive lineman with a full head of steam
577 - Is like getting tackled by a defensive lineman and linebacker at the same time
600 and bigger class - is like getting hit by 4 defensive lineman at the same time

I still shoot my 577, and have a hunt that my 505 will come along on in 2025 but at some point after that will evaluate them vs my 458B&M or 500/416.

I'm not very familiar with football, cool, though.

There's a "frame of mind" element, the state you're in contributes a bit.
Fit, though. Love the 500 Jeffery. The Sako in .500 however, would need some addl work before I could be confident/controlled.

That's my limit, until the day the Jeffery becomes intolerable.

I've reached my recoil tolerance with my 500 Jeffery. 570g at 2300 fps is still fun to shoot. 570g at 2510 fps fun index is zero. I stick to my 2300 fps load Based on the recoil calculator online that's 96 ft lbs of recoil in my 11 lb 500 Jeffery with 103g H4895. The 2510 fps load generates 118 ft lbs with 120g IMR 4350. That's a huge difference.

My current upper limit for what I've tried is a 500 grain 458 WinMag at 2,140fps out of my 9lbs Model 70.

It's definately stout enough to grab your attention but it's not intimidating in anyway and I feel like I could comfortably handle more.

How much of an increase in felt recoil is it jumping from this up to a 10lb 470NE or 500NE or a 11lbs 505 Gibbs?

I've reached my recoil tolerance with my 500 Jeffery. 570g at 2300 fps is still fun to shoot. 570g at 2510 fps fun index is zero. I stick to my 2300 fps load Based on the recoil calculator online that's 96 ft lbs of recoil in my 11 lb 500 Jeffery with 103g H4895. The 2510 fps load generates 118 ft lbs with 120g IMR 4350. That's a huge difference.

There's no way that 577 can be worse than a 9lb Sako with Norma 540's 7000ft/lbs.

We should take it out today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg