Opinions on the real big boys? 500J, 505 Gibbs, .500 NE, 577NE, 600NE, 700NE etc.

I finally came across the first factory 505 Gibbs ammo I've seen in the Country (Canada).

At $30/round I see why these are such exotics.

I've still never seen any 500 Jeffery in stock but 500 NE is readily available at $13.50/round.

Sounds like the answer if you're not a handloader is to buy a nice double in 500 NE. I handload for my 500 Jeffery. I get 10 full power loads per case, it costs me less than $3 per round.

Last edited:
Sounds like the answer if you're not a handloader is to buy a nice double in 500 NE. I handload for my 500 Jeffery. I get 10 full power loads per case, it costs me less than $3 per round.
I finally came across the first factory 505 Gibbs ammo I've seen in the Country (Canada).

At $30/round I see why these are such exotics.

I've still never seen any 500 Jeffery in stock but 500 NE is readily available at $13.50/round.
As a newbie here,, full disclosure, I haven’t,yet, DG in Africa.

As John Barsness defines, I AM a “rifle loony “, and pistol, revolver, shotgun loony for the last 47 years.Tried out many big bores. My “gateway drug “ like most here, was a .375 H&H.

I jumped the gap from.416 Rigby, Remington, .458 Winchester to the .500 Jeffery, CZ 550.

Factory.500 Jeffery Kynoch (recent production) 535 grain at 2400 fps just rocked my world, not in a good way dark eyed brunette in college.

3 shots and then I reloaded 570 grain bullet at 2100-2150 Nitro Express ballistics.

Good at 25 yards, but I could not consistently hit an 8 inch paper plate at 50 yards. Just too much of a good thing.

“A Man’s Got to Know His Limitations “
Clint Eastwood.

Sold it to a member here, who stopped a Buff a few feet away. The .500 Jeff did the job.

Following some very good advice from a long time poster, old African hand, on another site, I load my.458 Win Mag Whitworth with Woodleigh PSP, to 2150-2200 fps, a la .404 Jeffery original ballistics.

That rifle just fits me perfectly.
Can shoot dozens of rounds with this, and still shoot 500 grain slugs at 2150.

@NorthernShooter, if you fancy a. 500 rifle to try out, buy at a deal, so if you want to sell ( and probably will), and just put the money towards ammo, practice, and buffalo.

That’s my game plan.

Finn Aagaard said of the.458 WM “ it puts a bloody big whole in anything you hit.”

I’m just working on hitting the target.

I'm not sure my retinas will still take it...

If you’re looking for a big boy north of the medicine line, I have a CZ 505 with ammunition, brass, bullets, and dies I’d be willing to part with….

I'd considered building a .500 A-Square on an Enfield Model 1917, with an A-Square Hannibal stock. Then, I looked at not necking it up and just leaving it a .460 Weatherby. But a bunch of you guys convinced me that a .458 Lott was the way I should go. So that's what I did. Got another Model 1917 action, it's being modified. Got a new barrel. MPI Stocks (moved to WA from OR) just called me and the new Hannibal stock I ordered in April is just about done. I put two mercury recoil reducers in it...one 16 ounce and one 11 ounce. I'll probably just shoot open sights on it. From the way my .375 Weatherby turned out on the same action and stock, I think the Lott might be totally controllable. We are throating it out the same as a .450 Watts, which is basically the identical cartridge but uses the full length of the case at 2.85". The factory Lott cases are 2.80". They're not that expensive...Hornady makes them. But for half the price, you can get Hornady Basic Belted Magnum brass and one trip through the full length die and you just made .450 Watts / .458 Lott "extra length" cases. I'll report back once I get it shooting. All this being said, I'd really like to get a Heym 89 in either a .470 or .500 Nitro.

As a newbie here,, full disclosure, I haven’t,yet, DG in Africa.

As John Barsness defines, I AM a “rifle loony “, and pistol, revolver, shotgun loony for the last 47 years.Tried out many big bores. My “gateway drug “ like most here, was a .375 H&H.

I jumped the gap from.416 Rigby, Remington, .458 Winchester to the .500 Jeffery, CZ 550.

Factory.500 Jeffery Kynoch (recent production) 535 grain at 2400 fps just rocked my world, not in a good way dark eyed brunette in college.

3 shots and then I reloaded 570 grain bullet at 2100-2150 Nitro Express ballistics.

Good at 25 yards, but I could not consistently hit an 8 inch paper plate at 50 yards. Just too much of a good thing.

“A Man’s Got to Know His Limitations “
Clint Eastwood.

Sold it to a member here, who stopped a Buff a few feet away. The .500 Jeff did the job.

Following some very good advice from a long time poster, old African hand, on another site, I load my.458 Win Mag Whitworth with Woodleigh PSP, to 2150-2200 fps, a la .404 Jeffery original ballistics.

That rifle just fits me perfectly.
Can shoot dozens of rounds with this, and still shoot 500 grain slugs at 2150.

@NorthernShooter, if you fancy a. 500 rifle to try out, buy at a deal, so if you want to sell ( and probably will), and just put the money towards ammo, practice, and buffalo.

That’s my game plan.

Finn Aagaard said of the.458 WM “ it puts a bloody big whole in anything you hit.”

I’m just working on hitting the target.

Understand when I first got my 500 Jeffery I went to the range wearing only a T-shirt and did load development (6 different loads, 6 shots each, last one was 570g TSX at 2510 fps) Got an epic bruise. It was two months later before I dared shoot it again. I was thinking man did I make a mistake lol Now it's my favorite rifle to shoot (a few times)

Understand when I first got my 500 Jeffery I went to the range wearing only a T-shirt and did load development (6 different loads, 6 shots each, last one was 570g TSX at 2510 fps) Got an epic bruise. It was two months later before I dared shoot it again. I was thinking man did I make a mistake lol Now it's my favorite rifle to shoot (a few times)

Wow! That's what a PAST recoil shield is for. I use mine all the time when shooting my handful of big bores on the range, especially from the bench.

Yeah you are right it is a strong argument. If someone wants to hunt with an open sighted big bore they have to be prepared for limited shot opportunities when compared to a scoped rifle. I think I shoot my 450 Rigby really well but there has still been quite a few times when I looked down those open sights in the field and then brought the gun back down off my shoulder because the shot that was available was just too difficult with open sights. Having said that I haven't yet had an instance where I couldn't eventually get myself into the position I needed to for an effective shot with the iorns but I am sure that luck will run out one day.
Love the 450 Rigby . I had a 3 point industrial diamond fitted to front sight . Works brilliantly - a bright white dot on dark hide if there is any light available . Cost me a couple of hundred A$ all up .

Some claim so - I think I imagined so on the first animal I killed with one - a black bear. All my subsequent experience with them indicates they act just like any other quality solid. The head does seem to facilitate straight line penetration. But if they really caused a more destructive wound, the results would have been be very apparent on Suni, Oribi, or Duiker. But they were not - very clean taxidermist friendly .375 holes going and coming. And as I said, double lunged animals in the Nyala, sable, and waterbuck class take a long time for the lights to go out. Neither it nor any other solid, would be my choice for a first shot at a cape buffalo. I absolutely would choose the hydro to brain an elephant. In that case you either hit the brain or you don't - a solid's wound channel won't matter.
Do you have any aspirations to hunt elephant Joe? Are have you already, and I missed it?
If you were heading after elephant tomorrow, what rifle from your current collection would you use?

I have taken multiple elephants and buffalo with .500 MDM and .500 NE. Using @Red Leg 's example of a tight shot at 70 yards I would not hesitate to take that shot at a buffalo with my red dot equipped .500 NE OR .500 MDM from sticks. Now, elephant I'd want to be closer if going for a brain shot (my preference).

In regard to recoil and accuracy issues for a hunter, I submit it would take the same amount of practice to get proficient with a .375 as it would for a .500. Of course, if one does not practice then the caliber does not matter.

Leaving for Zim in 3 days with my .500 NE for a big tusker and a buffalo with CMS and Dean Kendall as PH once again.

Back to the original question - I have never shot or hunted with a 700NE. But I have used all the rest. Biggest disappointment was an unfired 500J made by Harald Wolf . I was test firing to buy - it jammed . Eventually got it shooting . No doubt a great cartridge but passed on the rifle . Can’t really say 505 Gibbs or 500NE are better than each other . Depends if you want a bolt or double . Own one of each and love them . Use here in OZ on buff - very effective . Not sure why some are down on 577 and 600 NE they are amazing cartridges . Key with 600 is it needs to be doing circa 2000fps . Own one and love it but would love a 577 too . Have hunted with both and they are brilliant . Recoil not bad . Love the 375 H&H but the big boys really are great .

I'm still at the point where I'm walking down the magical line asking myself if the 458 WinMag is as big and reasonable as I should go? Or if I NEED more..

No likely elephants in my future but the whitetails sure are big in my neck if the woods.
Yeah, for those big whitetails, a 450gr. Barnes TSX out of a .458WM should be sufficient. I would use my Lott though for elk here, if my .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM failed me. LOL

I didn't realize R8s were that heavy. I always assumed they were a lot lighter. Good to know.
My R8 Professional 375 H&H comes in at 9lbs 2oz, loaded with 4 rounds of ammo, a small sling and a Leupold 2-7×33 scope installed in Blaser low mounts. Carries like a deer rifle.
My Professional 458 Win Mag only weighs 10lbs 2oz with 4 rounds of ammo, a small sling, and a Nikon 1-4×20 scope, installed in Blaser low mounts. And 9lbs 2oz with an RMR on board.

I use small scopes on DG rifles to bring the weight down. I don't use a kickstop in the stock, and both of my stocks have the aluminum receiver.

My R8 Professional 375 H&H comes in at 9lbs 2oz, loaded with 4 rounds of ammo, a small sling and a Leupold 2-7×33 scope installed in Blaser low mounts. Carries like a deer rifle.
My Professional 458 Win Mag only weighs 10lbs 2oz with 4 rounds of ammo, a small sling, and a Nikon 1-4×20 scope, installed in Blaser low mounts. And 9lbs 2oz with an RMR on board.

I use small scopes on DG rifles to bring the weight down. I don't use a kickstop in the stock, and both of my stocks have the aluminum receiver.
Those two rifles are probably the best set ups I've seen here for both PG and DG. Wish I could afford an R8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilbertHer

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!