Opinions on the real big boys? 500J, 505 Gibbs, .500 NE, 577NE, 600NE, 700NE etc.

Back to the original question - I have never shot or hunted with a 700NE. But I have used all the rest. Biggest disappointment was an unfired 500J made by Harald Wolf . I was test firing to buy - it jammed . Eventually got it shooting . No doubt a great cartridge but passed on the rifle . Can’t really say 505 Gibbs or 500NE are better than each other . Depends if you want a bolt or double . Own one of each and love them . Use here in OZ on buff - very effective . Not sure why some are down on 577 and 600 NE they are amazing cartridges . Key with 600 is it needs to be doing circa 2000fps . Own one and love it but would love a 577 too . Have hunted with both and they are brilliant . Recoil not bad . Love the 375 H&H but the big boys really are great .

Harald Wolf was regrettably not always successful with his rifles, but we want to let him rest in peace.

As far as weapons with a caliber over 50 are concerned, the bolt action rifles caliber 500 Jeffery and 505 Gibbs are still about good to handle, or perhaps the DR caliber 500 Nitro Express. We are not talking about recoil which is present in all weapons of these calibers and should no longer be a topic in such discussions. A problem is but the handling of the heavy rifles caliber 577 Nitro Express and 600 Nitro Express, especially the weight of the barrels which makes such weapons among other things tip-heavy. Nowadays imho such weapons are not suitable for a client that does not have to do a backup. By the way, for the latter, other weapons also do the job well.

I have taken multiple elephants and buffalo with .500 MDM and .500 NE. Using @Red Leg 's example of a tight shot at 70 yards I would not hesitate to take that shot at a buffalo with my red dot equipped .500 NE OR .500 MDM from sticks. Now, elephant I'd want to be closer if going for a brain shot (my preference).

In regard to recoil and accuracy issues for a hunter, I submit it would take the same amount of practice to get proficient with a .375 as it would for a .500. Of course, if one does not practice then the caliber does not matter.

Leaving for Zim in 3 days with my .500 NE for a big tusker and a buffalo with CMS and Dean Kendall as PH once again.

Good luck in your hunt @Tanks and keep us posted on the adventure!

HH

Back to the original question - I have never shot or hunted with a 700NE. But I have used all the rest. Biggest disappointment was an unfired 500J made by Harald Wolf . I was test firing to buy - it jammed . Eventually got it shooting . No doubt a great cartridge but passed on the rifle . Can’t really say 505 Gibbs or 500NE are better than each other . Depends if you want a bolt or double . Own one of each and love them . Use here in OZ on buff - very effective . Not sure why some are down on 577 and 600 NE they are amazing cartridges . Key with 600 is it needs to be doing circa 2000fps . Own one and love it but would love a 577 too . Have hunted with both and they are brilliant . Recoil not bad . Love the 375 H&H but the big boys really are great .

500 Jeffery's are notorious for feeding issues. It takes an excellent gunsmith to make one feed and function flawlessly. Luckily for me, I know a few :) Mine had some issues to begin with but functions flawlessly now, and shoots well under 1 MOA.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Would you please tell us about your experience with the .600..what rifle..its weight..ammunition/reloads and bullets used..? I am considering a .600 for elephant hunting..

Would you please tell us about your experience with the .600..what rifle..its weight..ammunition/reloads and bullets used..? I am considering a .600 for elephant hunting..
A Farquharson Rifle . About 12 were built in OZ back in 1990s. It is in the Cal Pappas book on 600s. A 26 inch barrel . Only ever used it on buff in Australia . Devastating effect with shoulder shots and head on . Use 900 grain Woodleigh soft nose . A friend loads for me so not exactly sure of powder load but worked loads up from Graeme Wright / Geoff McDonald’s excellent book . As rifle is a single shot I do not have regulation issues and was getting 2000fps on the hand loads . Kynoch 600 factory loads are slow at circa 1800 - 1850 fps . Weight is about 14 lbs from memory .

Folks here is my .585 Hubel express, put together on a Montana Arms PH action, the irons are aligned for the 750gr Woodleigh RNSP at around 2400 fps. Rifle weighs circa 12.5 pounds (I might double check that weight forgotten exactly the weight)

Off the top of my head load is 155gr of AR2209 behind that pill.

I used to own a .585 Nyati built on a Brno 602 (In an all weather type style), I sold that to fund this build as I wanted a more traditional African Look. Also the .585 Nyati on the Brno didn't leave much lip on the bolt face. Th large PH action fixes that issue. The .585 HE suits this action better, the Nyati would swim in the large mag box of the PH action.

Bob De'Vries of Kudu Services did all the metal work.

HE 1.jpg
HE 2.jpg
HE 3.jpg
HE 4.jpg
HE 5.jpg

Wow, I love a big bore but honestly not liking what the numbers are telling me on this bad boy. I have accepted my limit of a 11 lb 500jeffery

IMG_4972.png

Yea, I ran the same numbers and came up with 168 ft lbs. Gun is pretty light. What does it hold...2 plus 1? As much as I like my 500J and 500NE, they penetrate less than my 416 Rigby.

Yea, I ran the same numbers and came up with 168 ft lbs. Gun is pretty light. What does it hold...2 plus 1? As much as I like my 500J and 500NE, they penetrate less than my 416 Rigby.
Hi GC 3 down one in the chamber....I will weigh it this coming weekend and check I have the weight correct. It is a hand full, I did the load development for the smith and damn it all the tightest groups came form the highest powder charge :cry:

I could always add a Mercury recoil reducer to the stock as well. I had shot some feral horses with my old .585 Nyati many moons ago and it was the most devastating performance I had seen....a feral horse is a much different proposition to African game (which I have never hunted) I understand.

Folks here is my .585 Hubel express, put together on a Montana Arms PH action, the irons are aligned for the 750gr Woodleigh RNSP at around 2400 fps. Rifle weighs circa 12.5 pounds (I might double check that weight forgotten exactly the weight)

Off the top of my head load is 155gr of AR2209 behind that pill.

I used to own a .585 Nyati built on a Brno 602 (In an all weather type style), I sold that to fund this build as I wanted a more traditional African Look. Also the .585 Nyati on the Brno didn't leave much lip on the bolt face. Th large PH action fixes that issue. The .585 HE suits this action better, the Nyati would swim in the large mag box of the PH action.

Bob De'Vries of Kudu Services did all the metal work.

View attachment 571475View attachment 571476View attachment 571477View attachment 571478View attachment 571479
A really nice rifle for a very serious cartridge . Bob de Vries work is fantastic . He is nearly finished on my new 505 Gibbs . A GMA action , Krieger barrel . Ross Waghorn did the stock and Ray Croxon has done the engraving . Love the big calibres .

A really nice rifle for a very serious cartridge . Bob de Vries work is fantastic . He is nearly finished on my new 505 Gibbs . A GMA action , Krieger barrel . Ross Waghorn did the stock and Ray Croxon has done the engraving . Love the big calibres .
PCc600 how did you get a GMA action in ? Is there an Aussie distributor?

Your rifle sounds amazing!

My view.
100 usd per round, not my cup of tea.
Those guns are either for proffesional guides, or for clients who can spend 500.000 as minimum on multiple dg safaries in their life time, or as a third option, afficionados who reload.

PCc600 how did you get a GMA action in ? Is there an Aussie distributor?

Your rifle sounds amazing!
I bought the action from GMA in the USA about 13 years ago maybe a bit longer . I used Queensland Gun Exchange as importer . They aren’t around any longer but I am sure a friendly licensed dealer would assist .

Reactions: pc3

Yes the bigger frontal area combined with less sectional density will make them penetrate less. But they hit a lot harder! No one to my knowledge has faulted the 500 NE or 500 J as dangerous game cartridges for lack of penetration.

Yes the bigger frontal area combined with less sectional density will make them penetrate less. But they hit a lot harder! No one to my knowledge has faulted the 500 NE or 500 J as dangerous game cartridges for lack of penetration.
Nothing wrong with anything 416 or bigger on DG if the shooter can hold it in the field. Some penetrate more...some hit harder as you said. At some point, you cross into the stopping rifle category.

Nothing wrong with anything 416 or bigger on DG if the shooter can hold it in the field. Some penetrate more...some hit harder as you said. At some point, you cross into the stopping rifle category.
wow. even with my knowledge how to find and use the lowest grains of powder to achieve my desired FPS at safe PSI 500 NE was still at my top end for recoil. over that blows my mind (and shoulder). lol!!!

wow. even with my knowledge how to find and use the lowest grains of powder to achieve my desired FPS at safe PSI 500 NE was still at my top end for recoil. over that blows my mind (and shoulder). lol!!!
I'm with you and truth be told, very few can realistically handle more recoil than 500NE or 500J. For me it takes practice and it's a perishable skill. I've found that 416 Rigby is my level that I can maintain without practicing. With a little bit of practice, I can handle the 458 Lott well...and more is required to be comfortable with 500NE or 500J. I don't have any need for more than that.

I can barely shoulder the 577 anymore.

@IvW had a good write up, so did a contributor on the 500 N.E. alone, it was a great article.
pleased to hear 600grn's preferred for the Jeffery ..

@IvW had a good write up, so did a contributor on the 500 N.E. alone, it was a great article.
pleased to hear 600grn's preferred for the Jeffery ..

Not sure the animal can tell much difference when I’m shooting the 505 Gibbs in either 570 grn or 600 grn. But since their isn’t much difference on range for what I’m using I have been using the 570 grain Swift A frames and break a way solids. Everything seems to die pretty quickly with that combo.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg