Obsessed With Ruger Rifles Especially #1s

Ses, don’t forget the 275 Rigby :)

When did Hamilton Bowen die?
I read an article saying that.... I went to the website just now and it looks like he is still with us... I hope. Thanks for pointing that out!!! After the Seyfried article I sent in a 458 No. 1. LaBonte did the reboring. Bowen had the rifle reblued several times as he was not happy with it...until acceptable by him. The rifle is really nice. Since then I have moved on to Merkels and Heyms in doubles.

I read an article saying that.... I went to the website just now and it looks like he is still with us... I hope. Thanks for pointing that out!!! After the Seyfried article I sent in a 458 No. 1. LaBonte did the reboring. Bowen had the rifle reblued several times as he was not happy with it...until acceptable by him. The rifle is really nice. Since then I have moved on to Merkels and Heyms in doubles.
I went looking for an obit but didnt see one.

I had a friend tell me about 1999 that his #1 was the best rifle he had ever owned. He was kind enough to find a magazine with a picture of one in An advertisement. So I took that magazine home and left it on the kitchen counter opened to that page and then later put it in the den, then on the bathroom counter and finally back to the kitchen where I would look at it over dinner and discuss the relative facts of the rifle with my son. The wife took note of all this and imposed upon a next door neighbor to go gun shopping with her. My birthday was fast approaching so off they went one afternoon to Thompson Arms in Little Rock AR and she came home with the 300 in stainless and with the laminate stock Topped with a nice Bush ell 3x9x40 scope. As previously mentioned I wasn’t all that taken with the stainless at first but it grew on me quickly.
What a wife ! mine would through the magazine in the trash & nag me for a week telling me i do not need an other gun,

What a wife ! mine would through the magazine in the trash & nag me for a week telling me i do not need an other gun,
I picked the right girl.

I was in a Cabela's yesterday. Gun room empty and locked, 1/2 the shelves in the store completely empty the rest filled with turkey gear, fishing and waterfowl gear. Not the same store I was used to seeing. Sad really, hope the investors are looking long term not short returns.

I fear the gun room in Green Bay will soon be the same way. The floor gun racks were well supplied with plastic stocked trash but the 3 or 4 double decker used gun racks were gone and the gun room was home to some random leftovers.

The rest of the store was well stocked.

I fear the gun room in Green Bay will soon be the same way. The floor gun racks were well supplied with plastic stocked trash but the 3 or 4 double decker used gun racks were gone and the gun room was home to some random leftovers.

The rest of the store was well stocked.
The new owner gutted Cabelas. Cabelas had a "style" different from the Bass Pro owner who bought out Cabelas ... and destroyed Mitchell, S.D. to prove he could. There is still a tiny niche for the local gun store if done properly, but the good old days before the relentless onslaught of the gun grabbers are long gone.

The new owner gutted Cabelas. Cabelas had a "style" different from the Bass Pro owner who bought out Cabelas ... and destroyed Mitchell, S.D. to prove he could. There is still a tiny niche for the local gun store if done properly, but the good old days before the relentless onslaught of the gun grabbers are long gone.
I went through Sidney, NE a couple weeks ago at about 10 on a weekday morning and the parking lot at Cabelas had 3 cars in it. There was a time when that lot was packed at 9 just waiting for the doors to open. I rarely stop there any more and when I do I leave saddened at what a pathetic shell of it's former self it is.

I went through Sidney, NE a couple weeks ago at about 10 on a weekday morning and the parking lot at Cabelas had 3 cars in it. There was a time when that lot was packed at 9 just waiting for the doors to open. I rarely stop there any more and when I do I leave saddened at what a pathetic shell of it's former self it is.

I was there for the opening of that store. What a glorious place it was back then!

Yes Bob you are right, she puts up with my gun obsession. I got my 9.3 x 62 barrel yesterday & Swan is fitting the 318 WR barrel next week.:giggle:

View attachment 348575 View attachment 348576
Top photo pictured left to right are my Ruger #1s in 243 Win, 270 Win, 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H.
Bottom photo top to bottom 416 Guide Gun, 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag, 270 Win, 243 Win and M77 Compact in 308.
All but the Guide Gun have the Salt and Pepper laminated stocks with Satin Stainless Steel. My wife bought me the 300 Win Mag for a birthday nearly 20 years ago. At first I wasn’t sure I was going to like the stainless but as you might guess that thought didn’t last long.
Charlie so enjoyed meeting and talking to you last night with Phillip. Your leaopard was incredible!!!

I'm a long time fan of the No.1. My first was a 458WM Tropical that I bought way back in the late '70s. Currently have just two, a No.1V in .223, and the .375 H&H Tropical I picked up a couple of months ago. I just had a 1-1/2" NEGC Brown Universal pad installed to add a little length and some additional recoil absorption.

Best regards,
A79664C6-F77F-4626-BFED-CA0D8D205CCA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a long time fan of the No.1. My first was a 458WM Tropical that I bought way back in the late '70s. Currently have just two, a No.1V in .223, and the .375 H&H Tropical I picked up a couple of months ago. I just had a 1-1/2" NEGC Brown Universal pad installed to add a little length and some additional recoil absorption.

Best regards,
View attachment 445665
The 375 H&H has a beautiful stock! Congrats on the new addition.

Best regards,
View attachment 445665
Very nice and I agree the 458 stock is very nice

View attachment 348581
Here are a couple not so easy to come by No.1’s
RMEF Rifle, it was the first stainless receiver On the No.1 and chambered in 30-40 Krag
60 made
no.1 in 303 British. Seems most of these went north of the border and to the UK.
Thx for sharing rarity … Mannlicher in stainless receiver is “S-Weet” to the eye & I know, handles like a dream!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MathiasBow

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.