New Qatar Weapons Requirements!

If I ever go back over I won't have to worry about their form. Since I fly cattle class I'll do the 14 hour flight instead of the 36 hour one

The problem without having a completed copy of the Qatar firearms surrender form ahead of time is that the US domestic carrier may want to see the completed form. I almost didn’t make my flight from DIA to DFW on American Airlines in 2022 over this same issue and I HAD a completed copy of the form. The clueless American gate agent was on the phone to the Qatar “help” line for half an hour to make sure they knew my rifles were going to be transferred to them. I can’t imagine showing up at the counter without a completed Qatar form on the domestic flight side of things.

The problem without having a completed copy of the Qatar firearms surrender form ahead of time is that the US domestic carrier may want to see the completed form. I almost didn’t make my flight from DIA to DFW on American Airlines in 2022 over this same issue and I HAD a completed copy of the form. The clueless American gate agent was on the phone to the Qatar “help” line for half an hour to make sure they knew my rifles were going to be transferred to them. I can’t imagine showing up at the counter without a completed Qatar form on the domestic flight side of things.
I was told by travel agent I needed to check directly with Qatar. I flew Pittsburgh to Chicago on American and had to recheck with Qatar in Chicago even though it’s all the same ticket. Qatar isn’t supposed to accept firearms from American. I had no real issues with Qatar but because I don’t live near one of their hubs it will be easier for me to fly on delta or united to Southern Africa.

I was told by travel agent I needed to check directly with Qatar. I flew Pittsburgh to Chicago on American and had to recheck with Qatar in Chicago even though it’s all the same ticket. Qatar isn’t supposed to accept firearms from American. I had no real issues with Qatar but because I don’t live near one of their hubs it will be easier for me to fly on delta or united to Southern Africa.
No, Qatar wasn’t the problem and at DFW had to recheck with Qatar for the flight to RSA. I just got lucky and had a clueless American counter agent AND her supervisor who was equally uninformed. Just my luck of the draw I guess? LOL

The issue was not in Doha, as your checked bags are "In Transit". The issue was at the Qatar Gate in DFW at departure check-in, and again, at the Qatar check-in in Johannesburg for the return flight to the USA. I forgot to get a blank copy of Qatar's, "Declaration Of Surrender OF Firearms", form #: QTR/SEC/018 REV02. I recommending requesting Qatar to email you this form so you will have it completed to hand to them at check-in. All the information they ask for on the form is a duplication of US Customs and Border Protection form #CBP Form 4457 and SA SAPS Form 525 (formerly SAPS 520). Another very important note, is make sure you check in on your return flight 24 hours prior, and let them know you are checking in Weapons. The agents in Johannesburg freaked out when they found out I was checking a weapon even though I had brough the weapon on their inbound flight. How Qatar is rated #1 airline in the world is beyond me. Love their Q-Suites though!

Check in 4 hours prior, good luck hunting, and mind the moon phases!

Thank you, that is a very important advice for that trip!

Just took Qatar Airlines for the first time to Johannesburg. They have a new form for weapons. This form is not available on their website, it must be completed by the gate agent, information then communicated to baggage manager, then approved by a gate manager. I was at check it 4 hours prior to the flight with one hunter in front of me and two behind me in line. It took my gate agent 1 and 1/2 hours to complete my form with the same information that a US Customs form has and the South African SAPS 525 form. The hunter, two persons back from me, did not make our flight. DO NOT FLY QATAR if you are bringing your rifles!!!
1723459101719.png

Is this the form you're referring to?

Gio from Gracy sent it to me last week.

Just took Qatar Airlines for the first time to Johannesburg. They have a new form for weapons. This form is not available on their website, it must be completed by the gate agent, information then communicated to baggage manager, then approved by a gate manager. I was at check it 4 hours prior to the flight with one hunter in front of me and two behind me in line. It took my gate agent 1 and 1/2 hours to complete my form with the same information that a US Customs form has and the South African SAPS 525 form. The hunter, two persons back from me, did not make our flight. DO NOT FLY QATAR if you are bringing your rifles!!!
Let's not make blanket statements. Yes Qatar has a new form. Jay did you use a TA? How about the guys behind you? I do not believe anyone missed a Qatar flight if they were there the required 3 hours prior.
The new form is very similar to the old form. I used a TA and when I got to the counter at DFW this year the Qatar staff had every single document needed. They had my 4457, copy of passport, SAPS, etc. This is all part of why we pay a TA. The only delay was the guy filling out the declaration form.
Yes checking in with Qatar can be slow. Always use the Business Class line if you have a rifle. They will direct you to "the one guy" who does the guns.
I am sorry but I get irritated when someone does something wrong and then tells the world emphatically not to take rifles to Africa.

Last edited:
That doesn’t sound good. I’m going to travel with Qatar in October with my rifles. Just to clarify: is this the procedure while checking in at the airport of your origin or while checking through in Doha?
Nothing in Doha.

Or us
The issue was not in Doha, as your checked bags are "In Transit". The issue was at the Qatar Gate in DFW at departure check-in, and again, at the Qatar check-in in Johannesburg for the return flight to the USA. I forgot to get a blank copy of Qatar's, "Declaration Of Surrender OF Firearms", form #: QTR/SEC/018 REV02. I recommending requesting Qatar to email you this form so you will have it completed to hand to them at check-in. All the information they ask for on the form is a duplication of US Customs and Border Protection form #CBP Form 4457 and SA SAPS Form 525 (formerly SAPS 520). Another very important note, is make sure you check in on your return flight 24 hours prior, and let them know you are checking in Weapons. The agents in Johannesburg freaked out when they found out I was checking a weapon even though I had brough the weapon on their inbound flight. How Qatar is rated #1 airline in the world is beyond me. Love their Q-Suites though!

Check in 4 hours prior, good luck hunting, and mind the moon phases!
Or use a TA and enjoy your trip.

Sorry for a bit off topic: is there any procedure in Doha when travelling with guns like for example in Addis?

This form sounds like it is different than the firearm surrender form that we have had to have in the past.
Jim it is the same Declaration of Surrender form just a little different format and with the Arabic translations for each field. It is new and the TA's didn't have it yet.

If it is that close to the old form, then why did it take the OP's gate agent 1 1/2 hours to get it done?
It was slow at DFW this year because "the one guy" was also the one guy who knew all the answers and he was constantly interrupted by poorly trained or new staff. If all paperwork is sent by the TA and if they would give us the new form it would be a 10 minute max effort.

If it is that close to the old form, then why did it take the OP's gate agent 1 1/2 hours to get it done?
Because the entire Qatar staff is relying on 1 person who knows what they are doing, so you have 5 people watching one person fill out a form.

Neither myself or my hunting travel agent knew anything about this new form until I walked up to the counter.

Seriously, the Qatar counter @ DFW was the biggest cluster F#%K I’ve ever seen while traveling.

I just logged onto my QA account and did an online help chat. The guy says all the paperwork is handled at check-in now. Given the hit-or-miss of competency/knowledge, recommendation is to arrive at check-in at least 3 hours before scheduled departure. Out of an abundance of caution, we'll be at check-in 4 hours before scheduled departure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodney denis ncube

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe