New Qatar Weapons Requirements!

If I ever go back over I won't have to worry about their form. Since I fly cattle class I'll do the 14 hour flight instead of the 36 hour one

The problem without having a completed copy of the Qatar firearms surrender form ahead of time is that the US domestic carrier may want to see the completed form. I almost didn’t make my flight from DIA to DFW on American Airlines in 2022 over this same issue and I HAD a completed copy of the form. The clueless American gate agent was on the phone to the Qatar “help” line for half an hour to make sure they knew my rifles were going to be transferred to them. I can’t imagine showing up at the counter without a completed Qatar form on the domestic flight side of things.

The problem without having a completed copy of the Qatar firearms surrender form ahead of time is that the US domestic carrier may want to see the completed form. I almost didn’t make my flight from DIA to DFW on American Airlines in 2022 over this same issue and I HAD a completed copy of the form. The clueless American gate agent was on the phone to the Qatar “help” line for half an hour to make sure they knew my rifles were going to be transferred to them. I can’t imagine showing up at the counter without a completed Qatar form on the domestic flight side of things.
I was told by travel agent I needed to check directly with Qatar. I flew Pittsburgh to Chicago on American and had to recheck with Qatar in Chicago even though it’s all the same ticket. Qatar isn’t supposed to accept firearms from American. I had no real issues with Qatar but because I don’t live near one of their hubs it will be easier for me to fly on delta or united to Southern Africa.

I was told by travel agent I needed to check directly with Qatar. I flew Pittsburgh to Chicago on American and had to recheck with Qatar in Chicago even though it’s all the same ticket. Qatar isn’t supposed to accept firearms from American. I had no real issues with Qatar but because I don’t live near one of their hubs it will be easier for me to fly on delta or united to Southern Africa.
No, Qatar wasn’t the problem and at DFW had to recheck with Qatar for the flight to RSA. I just got lucky and had a clueless American counter agent AND her supervisor who was equally uninformed. Just my luck of the draw I guess? LOL

The issue was not in Doha, as your checked bags are "In Transit". The issue was at the Qatar Gate in DFW at departure check-in, and again, at the Qatar check-in in Johannesburg for the return flight to the USA. I forgot to get a blank copy of Qatar's, "Declaration Of Surrender OF Firearms", form #: QTR/SEC/018 REV02. I recommending requesting Qatar to email you this form so you will have it completed to hand to them at check-in. All the information they ask for on the form is a duplication of US Customs and Border Protection form #CBP Form 4457 and SA SAPS Form 525 (formerly SAPS 520). Another very important note, is make sure you check in on your return flight 24 hours prior, and let them know you are checking in Weapons. The agents in Johannesburg freaked out when they found out I was checking a weapon even though I had brough the weapon on their inbound flight. How Qatar is rated #1 airline in the world is beyond me. Love their Q-Suites though!

Check in 4 hours prior, good luck hunting, and mind the moon phases!

Thank you, that is a very important advice for that trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgnsna

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe