New Double Rifle Build

Which stock blank would you choose?

• Total voters
There is a difference between patten and grain. Bottom one (y)

Id also ask for a few more pics away from that floor. Also with a wipe from a damp cloth to bring up the patten.
They always come out different when cut but all three are nice.

Top. Beautiful wood.

I just like the style of the Verney better both the round body and imperial actions (got a quote on an imperial action but too much for me).
Price
Lead time
Reputation in general
Also I have some good friends with Verney's that are extremely happy with their doubles

All those reasons added together made the final decision. Not that there is anything wrong with Heym, I love the Heym brand.
I would go top as well.

Is there a big difference in price and lead times on Heym and VC?

I would go top as well.

Is there a big difference in price and lead times on Heym and VC?
Lead time from Heym is 2-2.5 years, Verney lead time is around 12 months.
Price difference is tricky to comment on as I just got a final price from Verney that didn't itemise the upgrades I asked for. But overall in general Verney appears to be around 5-10% less than Heym depending on what you are asking for.
This is in Australia, not sure what it's like around the rest of the world.

Many Congrats! .. 12 Months is not bad, super excited for ya.

I think "The Top" is remarkable. Honey, Marbly, ?
VC did a "Shell Walnut", I've never seen anything like it.

shell1.jpeg

@Aussie_Hunter Did the distributer, VC have a suggestion, considering the overall build?

Last edited:
I placed an order for a new double rifle today, listed below are some specs and upgrades I have chosen. Also 3 stock blanks to choose from, I have pretty much already made up my mind on which blank I am going with but I'd still be interested to hear which one others would choose and why.

It's been a long time coming, I've been wanting to build a double for alot of years but for one reason or another it just hasn't happened, finally the time has come. I'm super excited but it's going to be a long 12 months waiting for it! Lucky I have my first hunt in Africa later this year and plenty of other things happening in the meantime to keep me occupied while I wait for this rifle to be completed. I am hoping to take it to Africa in 2026 on a buffalo hunt.

Verney Carron
470 Nitro Express
Wood Upgrade
Colour Case Hardened Round Body Action
Specified LOP
Leica Red Dot Mounting Footprint

View attachment 610900
@Aussie_Hunter - 1st pick = bottom, 2nd pick = middle—-prefer straight grain for strength

Many Congrats! .. 12 Months is not bad, super excited for ya.

I think "The Top" is remarkable. Honey, Marbly, ?
VC did a "Shell Walnut", I've never seen anything like it.

View attachment 611622

@Aussie_Hunter Did the distributer, VC have a suggestion, considering the overall build?
My Blaser Kilombero has similar wood to this.

Yeah I have talked double rifles with distributor for years, he is a personal friend of mine. The stock blanks offered are actually owned by him and are already sitting over in France at Verney. We especially discussed calibre at length given I do quite a bit of dangerous game hunting on my own.

My Blaser Kilombero has similar wood to this.

Yeah I have talked double rifles with distributor for years, he is a personal friend of mine. The stock blanks offered are actually owned by him and are already sitting over in France at Verney. We especially discussed calibre at length given I do quite a bit of dangerous game hunting on my own.
VC's are stunning & always excited for anyone willing to create another. I'd have a hard time choosing particulars for a build & I really don't know wood .. short of preferred tones, hue's.

I'd imagine all those blanks are plenty strong. Assuming theirs a cost, idk. Krieghoff: after deposit, I received a message from the dealer. $1500 for the 1st. $4500 for the 2nd.
1717769626120.png

1717769657180.png

But a case-colored RB with the top= just a thought, he'll be the judge.

Last edited:
I like the $1500 straight grain better
It's seems a lot like, or prefer the straight grain, it is fine! But I'd hate to waste the factory wood .. thought it was pretty good for Krieghoff?

1717858415134.png

1717858449459.png

Last edited:
I would like both 450/500 and 500NE!
I pray to God it doesn't come down to it .. but if I have to try selling, the 500 hasn't been shot ;)

Reactions: GWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathiePost