Need new boots

MLindsay

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
My rocky safari boots finally bit the dust after 15 safaris and god knows how many miles

I am looking for an 8 inch all leather, non insulated, non gortex, flexible non aggressive sole. I have searched countless stores and every online hunting, military and tactical supplier I can find. All I find is leather boots with cordura nylon sewn in inserts or leather boots with very aggressive soles that I do not like or need.
Thanks for any help you can give

Lots of options out there these days. Depends on the function and look you want. Danner, GoRuck, Meindl, Merrill, Russell’s, White’s…

I own 2 pairs of Wesco boots made specifically for doing tree work. However, they are available in a seemingly endless array of options. I've been considering having myself remeasured for another set of 10" dark brown, uninsulated boots with a soft sole for exactly this reason.

Other top quality boots are available from White's and Nick's. All three of these companies are major suppliers to the loggers in the PNW. I'd highly recommend any of them.

Additionally - I know they are expensive, but you will get what you pay for.

I own 2 pairs of Wesco boots made specifically for doing tree work. However, they are available in a seemingly endless array of options. I've been considering having myself remeasured for another set of 10" dark brown, uninsulated boots with a soft sole for exactly this reason.

Other top quality boots are available from White's and Nick's. All three of these companies are major suppliers to the loggers in the PNW. I'd highly recommend any of them.

Additionally - I know they are expensive, but you will get what you pay for.

Thanks for the replies. There are a huge number of boot manufacturers out there but few make a boot for Africa. What do I mean? I need a all leather boot with very flexible soles and non aggressive soles.. If you have ever walked 8 hours after an eland in Botswana you know what I mean

Timberland makes a nice 6” all leather with a soft sole. Not ideal for rocky terrain, will work in most conditions

Call Al at James Leddy Boots… tell him what you want… he’ll make it for you…

I’ve hunted my James Leddy hunting boots the last two seasons… they are absolutely perfect for Africa, and get more comfortable with each and every wear…

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.15.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.15.38 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.15.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.15.41 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 79
My rocky safari boots finally bit the dust after 15 safaris and god knows how many miles

I am looking for an 8 inch all leather, non insulated, non gortex, flexible non aggressive sole. I have searched countless stores and every online hunting, military and tactical supplier I can find. All I find is leather boots with cordura nylon sewn in inserts or leather boots with very aggressive soles that I do not like or need.
Like these??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.41 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.41 AM Large.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.43 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.43 AM Large.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.45 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.45 AM Large.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.50 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.14.50 AM Large.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 71
The Courtney Patrol boot would work. I have a pair. They are excellent. Check with African sporting creations.

Courtney’s are leather only, no liner. Good for hunting down to about 30-35 degrees. Ideal for hot weather hunting.

I would avoid a stiff sole boot with a big heal. They are louder when walking. (But I bet you know that!)

They may not meet your exact specs but the Lowa GTX have been fabulous for me and many of my clients. I now have a pair for work as well.

I have a pair of GoRuck MacV1 boots in full grain leather. Super lightweight, no liners, cool, comfortable, quiet. I bought them because they were on sale for $120, ended up being very pleased.

The Lowa and Goruck both have seen in nylon panels
I did not know Courtney made 8 inch I will check with them

The Courtney Patrol boot would work. I have a pair. They are excellent. Check with African sporting creations.

Courtney’s are leather only, no liner. Good for hunting down to about 30-35 degrees. Ideal for hot weather hunting.

I would avoid a stiff sole boot with a big heal. They are louder when walking. (But I bet you know that!)
Hey I can not find their patrol boot

Just for fun check out lathrop and sons-they have a custom option that you might like

I saw your post on another site. If you want all leather, non-insulated, non-gortex, non-aggressive sole I stick by my suggestion to check out the Red Wing and Thorogood offerings. They are work boots but they seem to check all the boxes. I have a pair of the Thorogood 6"American Heritage moc toes boots I'm breaking in. I'm thinking I may use them as my secondary boots for Africa. I think I paid about $160 for them locally.

Too bad you can't get the green Browning upland boats that were made with kangaroo leather anymore.

If you want custom, I second MDWest's suggestion of contacting Al Dos Campos at James Leddy Boots in Abilene. Being an ex-Rhodesian, he knows Africa and what works there.

Some of the best leather boots made and without a seam on the heel. I also wear Meindl that are designed by Limmer but built by Meindl.

Just for fun check out lathrop and sons-they have a custom option that you might like

I have 2 pairs, they are more for mountain i.e. hard soles. Good boots for what they are meant for.

They are expensive but Russell Moccasins are a great pair of boots I work in mine and they are a pleasure to work in.
This ^^^

I have 4 pairs, two for Africa, one for rocky terrain and another for sporting clays (loafer style). I will be giving James Leddy of Abilene a shot now that some of my skins are in. On the way to DSC, this year, I sat on the throne to be measured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deaner20

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt