Need new boots

Kenetrek Safari or Desert Guide-both the MOST comfy boots I've ever worn!!! (My son is still wearing my old pair-from 2 pr ago!) 'Recently picked up their lightweight hikers for hot summer-and they'd also be fine in Africa.

Since Russell's was bought the new owners have "streamlined" the operation. They no longer make boots/shoes to fit. They have decided on TWO lasts to form all of their boots/shoes. If your foot happens to match one of the two lasts, then fine, go ahead and purchase a pair. Unfortunately, mine don't so I maintain the 8 pairs that I have because there will be no more. Incidentally, part of their streamlining was to farm-out the repair business, so if you sent a pair back to them for repair/resole, they forward them on the a different shop. Just another example of a business being bought out by someone more interested in profits than products.

This ^^^

I have 4 pairs, two for Africa, one for rocky terrain and another for sporting clays (loafer style). I will be giving James Leddy of Abilene a shot now that some of my skins are in. On the way to DSC, this year, I sat on the throne to be measured.
Al's measurement throne.

Measuring Throne.jpg

Seems like members here who are serious archer, spot & stalk type bow hunters, would have some valid suggestions on non-aggressive sole / soft sole foot wear ?

Since I can’t hit the ground with an arrow, I don’t bow hunt.
Nonetheless with rifle in hand, I am a spot & stalk addict.
Courteney boots are my favorite for stalking in hot dry conditions.

However, the pair that I have does have an aggressive lug sole and the OP is looking for boots with a more passive tread.
I’ve no idea if Courteney does custom orders or not.

As for custom boot makers, the ones I’ve seen from White’s Boot Company looked excellent.
However, I’ve never owned a pair.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Fellow Hunters,

I tried more than once to attach a photo of my regular, run of the mill, off the shelf (therefore very affordable) Wolverine boots.
However today, no luck on my attempts to post this mentioned photo.

Anyway, these boots are neither as light to walk in all day as my similar height Courteney’s are (6”)?
Neither is the sole of a lug pattern (I definitely prefer the Courteney lugged but not hard soles).

Also, this model of Wolverine boot is tormented with an almost stark white colored sole.
Until well worn and thereby finally taking on a dirt color, every time you raise your foot, I figure critters see each step toward them, as we would see blinking light bulbs attached to someone’s feet.

Nonetheless, the Wolverines are my 2nd favorite hunting shoes for hot, dry conditions.
Wolverine also makes this same boot with a taller top as well (perhaps 8”) ?

I once bought a cheap copy of these described boots, in Mexico City except that, those came almost up to my knees.
They held up pretty well, considering they cost half what Wolverine boots cost.
I even wore them deer hunting on rainyass Kodiak Island, (Alaska) but, with goretex socks in them to keep my feet dry.

Eventually, I gifted them to a PH in South Africa, (John Luyte, co-owner of Duke Safaris, Limpopo District), as he wore the same size as myself.

El Doggo out.

Last edited:
Since Russell's was bought the new owners have "streamlined" the operation. They no longer make boots/shoes to fit. They have decided on TWO lasts to form all of their boots/shoes. If your foot happens to match one of the two lasts, then fine, go ahead and purchase a pair. Unfortunately, mine don't so I maintain the 8 pairs that I have because there will be no more. Incidentally, part of their streamlining was to farm-out the repair business, so if you sent a pair back to them for repair/resole, they forward them on the a different shop. Just another example of a business being bought out by someone more interested in profits than products.

This is depressing I hadn’t heard that and was saving to buy another pair. I was looking on there website and they still make custom orders I think or maybe I read it wrong.

I saw your post on another site. If you want all leather, non-insulated, non-gortex, non-aggressive sole I stick by my suggestion to check out the Red Wing and Thorogood offerings. They are work boots but they seem to check all the boxes. I have a pair of the Thorogood 6"American Heritage moc toes boots I'm breaking in. I'm thinking I may use them as my secondary boots for Africa. I think I paid about $160 for them locally.

Too bad you can't get the green Browning upland boats that were made with kangaroo leather anymore.

If you want custom, I second MDWest's suggestion of contacting Al Dos Campos at James Leddy Boots in Abilene. Being an ex-Rhodesian, he knows Africa and what works there.
I’ve always been a diehard Red Wing fan for work boots but tried out som Thorogoods recently. They lasted about six months before the soles began to separate. I’ve gone back to Red Wings for work..

I've got Kenetreks, Lowas, Danner in several models, and even Courtenay ostrich, but the ones I absolutely WORE OUT over many many miles of pheasant, etc were Redwings. It's funny how they were'nt the lightest but my feet felt better after a day of hell than with others.(that's the way my brothers felt about Wolverine durashoks) Next in comfort for the long hall were Danner Ft. Lewis, tho heavy. My least worn?...kangaroo bird boots that just make my feet hurt. That said, I have high hopes for some Hoka One One hikers.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I ordered the Safaris on the left from Courteney with the cleated tread because the tire tread is too aggressive for my home turf.
IMG_2403.jpeg

So far I could not be happier with the new Safari boots as well as the trackers with the tire tread are the #1 & #2 most comfortable pairs of footwear I’ve owned in my life.

I saw your post on another site. If you want all leather, non-insulated, non-gortex, non-aggressive sole I stick by my suggestion to check out the Red Wing and Thorogood offerings. They are work boots but they seem to check all the boxes. I have a pair of the Thorogood 6"American Heritage moc toes boots I'm breaking in. I'm thinking I may use them as my secondary boots for Africa. I think I paid about $160 for them locally.

Too bad you can't get the green Browning upland boats that were made with kangaroo leather anymore.

If you want custom, I second MDWest's suggestion of contacting Al Dos Campos at James Leddy Boots in Abilene. Being an ex-Rhodesian, he knows Africa and what works there.
I agree with the Browning kangaroo leather boots, I had a pair that were 10 years old but lost them in Mozambique to a mischievous baboon or hyena when I left them outside of my tent to dry and forgot about them until after dark!

I’ve always been a diehard Red Wing fan for work boots but tried out som Thorogoods recently. They lasted about six months before the soles began to separate. I’ve gone back to Red Wings for work..
I wear Rocky S2V uninsulated soft toe toe for work and they last about 2 years. If I'm doing heavy work, I switch to a set of Timberland steel-toe slip-on boots but that doesn't happen often. Tree work requires the Wesco's.

The Rocky's are also my go-to boot for hunting because of the medium tread and light weight.

I have never understood the oft described mechanics or physics of the so called "quiet" sole. And good luck with wearing soft, thin leather moccasin soles or socks for hunting in anything other than something like golf course turf :):) The "ouches" and "utterances" of pain from the smallest pebble or thorn is going to be louder than any twig breaking under a boot sole. From my experience a flat sole with little or no tread seems as noisy as an aggressive sole. The hardness of the sole material and the overall rigidness of the sole bed may have something to do with quietness, but I simply haven't noticed the tread pattern or depth having much to do with quiet. I have Courteney's in both cleat sole and tyre tread sole. Honestly, the tyre tread is more flexible and is just as quiet, if not quieter, than the much less aggressive cleat pattern sole. I guess once a theory is heard and repeated enough it becomes fact :):) IMO

My rocky safari boots finally bit the dust after 15 safaris and god knows how many miles

I am looking for an 8 inch all leather, non insulated, non gortex, flexible non aggressive sole. I have searched countless stores and every online hunting, military and tactical supplier I can find. All I find is leather boots with cordura nylon sewn in inserts or leather boots with very aggressive soles that I do not like or need.
Thanks for any help you can give
This ^^^

I have 4 pairs, two for Africa, one for rocky terrain and another for sporting clays (loafer style). I will be giving James Leddy of Abilene a shot now that some of my skins are in. On the way to DSC, this year, I sat on the throne to be measured.
I have a pair of custom made Russel Boots, believe called “Sheep Hunter” and designed to hunt Mountains for sheep etc.. so not what I’d want for Africa. As far as quality - best leather and brass eyelets, all hand sewn and “beautiful”. I wore them for a Mountain Lion hunt in Idaho and they were by far the best looking boots in camp - also the heaviest, most uncomfortable, and poorly insulated boots ever. Cinder blocks are lighter and bedroom slippers warmer. Russell customer service was fantastic and they immediately offered me 3 options: New Boots, full refund, or “keep existing boots” and get 50% refund. I chose the 50%/keep the boots. They are slated to be worn in my coffin and told my Wife “I have all eternity to break them in”. I still love Russell and their quality boots - especially love a company that cares what their customers think - they want you “happy”...I just didn’t pick the right boot for that hunt.

Did not know that - too bad, nice people when I bought mine 15 years ago. I liked the tradition and liked those “handmade” boots - all leather. Even though I have some modern material boots that are more water proof and lighter.

This is depressing I hadn’t heard that and was saving to buy another pair. I was looking on there website and they still make custom orders I think or maybe I read it wrong.
Russell has what is now called "Made To Order" You have the choice of two last (foot shapes) and then several options with type of leather, soles and trim- but nothing to do with actually making a shoe to fit your foot. They no longer use the tracings, even if they are on file and have made several shoes for you previously.

They are expensive but Russell Moccasins are a great pair of boots I work in mine and they are a pleasure to work in.
Not anymore they got bought and aren’t much interested in making new ones that aren’t standard sizes. Also they got rid of most of their designs so I would go with something else.

Thanks for the replies. There are a huge number of boot manufacturers out there but few make a boot for Africa. What do I mean? I need a all leather boot with very flexible soles and non aggressive soles.. If you have ever walked 8 hours after an eland in Botswana you know what I mean
Jim Green Ranger boots.

Fellow Hunters,

I tried more than once to attach a photo of my regular, run of the mill, off the shelf (therefore very affordable) Wolverine boots.
However today, no luck on my attempts to post this mentioned photo.

Anyway, these boots are neither as light to walk in all day as my similar height Courteney’s are (6”)?
Neither is the sole of a lug pattern (I definitely prefer the Courteney lugged but not hard soles).

Also, this model of Wolverine boot is tormented with an almost stark white colored sole.
Until well worn and thereby finally taking on a dirt color, every time you raise your foot, I figure critters see each step toward them, as we would see blinking light bulbs attached to someone’s feet.

Nonetheless, the Wolverines are my 2nd favorite hunting shoes for hot, dry conditions.
Wolverine also makes this same boot with a taller top as well (perhaps 8”) ?

I once bought a cheap copy of these described boots, in Mexico City except that, those came almost up to my knees.
They held up pretty well, considering they cost half what Wolverine boots cost.
I even wore them deer hunting on rainyass Kodiak Island, (Alaska) but, with goretex socks in them to keep my feet dry.

Eventually, I gifted them to a PH in South Africa, (John Luyte, co-owner of Duke Safaris, Limpopo District), as he wore the same size as myself.

El Doggo out.
BAB9808D-9359-4A79-91CE-6CBFC1392E42.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruthie0197

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]