Muzzle Energy vs Recoil vs Rifle Weight for Dangerous Game

Here is a good site to confirm the premise of this post .....
I used it when determining powders for my 505 Gibbs

As for the cartridges I did not include, oh well… Look guys and gals, I selected what seemed the most popular cartridges or those representative of them.
I did notice the failure to include the very popular 400 H&H. You are forgiven. I will note that this wonderful cartridge will send a 400gr A-frame at 2350 fps with 81 grains of H4350... very reasonable recoil.

Excellent post! As much as these classic cartridges have an emotional aura surrounding them, I love seeing them quanitified to compare and contrast.

Is it true that the 470NE has a larger case capacity than the 500NE?

I think the concensus now is 404 Jeffery was developed in 1905.

The one I built weighs right at ten pounds loaded with four cartridges. The recoil may be  relatively modest but still all I can handle ... and I'm no lightweight. If this gun will kill an elephant, I can see absolutely no reason to own anything larger. It's more than enough gun for me.
I have shot a 470NE once, that was enough for me. I have no use for any “magnum” cartridge. I have found the 9.3x 62 is comfortable for me and all the gun I need.

For anyone that wants to compute their pet load....

Energy in foot pounds = 0.5 * (bullet weight in grains / 7000) * (velocity)^2 / 32.17

Example: .375 Weatherby with 300gr at 2885 ft/s (I've chrono-graphed two of mine and got 2885 and 2889 ft/s)

Energy = (0.5)*(300/7000)*(2885)^2 / 32.17
= 5544 ft-lbs

Knock Out Factor = (Bullet Diameter in Inches) * (Bullet Weight in Grains / 7000 ) * Velocity

KO = .375 * 300/7000 * 2885
= 46.36

The first one is Kinetic Energy.

The second is some kind of Momentum thing with Bore Diameter factored in.

I'm not sure I buy the Taylor Knock Out Factor. I get that a bigger bore imparts more energy (although it penetrates less). But it says a super slow 450/400 caliber with less than 75% of the energy has a much higher knock out factor that's 25% higher. A .378 Weatherby Magnum would only rate a 49 on this factor, which is less than a 450/400. The .378 is about nuclear. My .375 has an extra long barrel so I can approach .378 velocities.

It's the age-old argument of energy vs. momentum.

But anyway, with these two formulas, you guys can calculate any load you wish. It's really easy with a spread sheet. But you can do it with a calculator pretty easily too. No need to make Mark generate 10,000,000 combinations....ha ha!

I identify with Young Sheldon as well :)

Thanks Jim.

Just did a quick calulation to compare 2 cartridges that I hunt with regularly. The 280AI vs 45/70.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 114725.jpg

Same Energy but very different Knock Out score. This may be an extreme comparison but for me it does accurately describe the effectiveness of each cartridge.

The 280AI is fantastic on light to medium game with this projectile but anything heavier than 300Kg it is soso.
The 45/70 just poughs thru and gets the job done on heavier game. Especially when I bump the velocity just under 2000fps.

Hmm!

Just noticed the 378 Weatherby & 45/70 have the same KO score? Guess in this case Energy wins in this comparison. Guess you cannot look at either energy or KO score in isolation.

My question is where my rifle comes in right now!
Winchester M70 458 Win Mag at 8lbs…
Hornady 500gr at 2150ftps
What kind of recoil energy and speed am I seeing? Just curious?

Thank you Mr. Ouellette and fellow Marine for posting this interesting and helpful data. It very much benefits me since I’ve contemplated another rifle chambered in a cartridge more powerful than my 416 Rigby. Looking at the recoil of the 450 Rigby and even worse the 505 Gibbs, gives me the impression that the maximum recoil I can handle would likely be 458 Lott.

Updated the spread sheet with the formulas published by SAAMI in th e"Gun Recoil - Technical publication July 9, 2018.

Screenshot 2024-08-01 160516.jpg

The Taylor KO factor is regularly cited. Whether such an antiquated theoretical value, like also the Shock Power Index from A-Square, are relevant in practice for the choice of a big bore rifle can be debated.

What kills a game is a bullet that penetrates deep enough in the right place and make a wound channel as large as possible. That's why the caliber, the bullet and the impact velocity of this are above all particularly important for the choice of a big bore rifle. At last there are personal factors such as interest for a cartridge and recoil tolerance.

Sorry

Sorry - did not do that calulation. I have found the formula to calulate - need the weight of powder if you know it?
I do not know the weight of powder as it is factory Hornady loadings…
I just know it’s a 8lb rifle shooting a 5gr projectile at 2130ftps

For anyone that wants to compute their pet load....

Energy in foot pounds = 0.5 * (bullet weight in grains / 7000) * (velocity)^2 / 32.17

Example: .375 Weatherby with 300gr at 2885 ft/s (I've chrono-graphed two of mine and got 2885 and 2889 ft/s)

Energy = (0.5)*(300/7000)*(2885)^2 / 32.17
= 5544 ft-lbs

Knock Out Factor = (Bullet Diameter in Inches) * (Bullet Weight in Grains / 7000 ) * Velocity

KO = .375 * 300/7000 * 2885
= 46.36

The first one is Kinetic Energy.

The second is some kind of Momentum thing with Bore Diameter factored in.

I'm not sure I buy the Taylor Knock Out Factor. I get that a bigger bore imparts more energy (although it penetrates less). But it says a super slow 450/400 caliber with less than 75% of the energy has a much higher knock out factor that's 25% higher. A .378 Weatherby Magnum would only rate a 49 on this factor, which is less than a 450/400. The .378 is about nuclear. My .375 has an extra long barrel so I can approach .378 velocities.

It's the age-old argument of energy vs. momentum.

But anyway, with these two formulas, you guys can calculate any load you wish. It's really easy with a spread sheet. But you can do it with a calculator pretty easily too. No need to make Mark generate 10,000,000 combinations....ha ha!

I identify with Young Sheldon as well :)

For penetration, Momentum is what gets the work done. More so than KE

For bullet expansion I would think KE is important

I do not know the weight of powder as it is factory Hornady loadings…
In the table above and below, I referenced ADI (Australian Defence Industries) load data which indicated about 74gr of powder. The powder weight does not have a big influence on the result. My results are generally a bit lower for recoil velecoity and FRE (Free Recoil Energy) than the table that was the basis for this thread. The only reason I can see for the variance is due to a multiplication factor used to calculate the energy for the gas thrust created by the powder charge. I created a Google Sheets file, so it is very easy to input any calibre and rifle scenario. I have tried to attach a Excel version that anyone can use, it has been saved as a zip file that you will need to extract. The blue cells are the inputs and the green are the calculated outputs. There is 1 row open for inputs but you can just copy and past more rows to modify.
Capture2.JPG

Attachments

@CZDiesel , I posted the link to shooterscalculator.com at least twice in my posts.
@zephyr , also post the same link for "just such an emergency"
Here is a good site to confirm the premise of this post .....
I used it when determining powders for my 505 Gibbs

The online calculators make this stuff really easy! :)

Since we do not know the exact weight of the powder charge in your Hornady factory ammo, I used 70 grains from my H4895 loads. Chances are Hornady's loads are a little heavier on powder, making for a compressed powder charge. It still goes bang!

Also, it is ALWAYS good to clock the muzzle velocity of all loads, factory or hand loads. I've measured some 458 Lott factory ammo where on its box listed MZ of 2300, only to find the velocity was 2150. I am not kidding on that!

1722507919821.png

The chart above with data calculated using shooterscalculator.com , shows your 8 lb. rifle's free recoil energy of 80.5 lbs exceeds that of a 10.5 lb. 458 Lott and is comparable to a 10.5 lb. 470 Nitro Express that burns 60% more powder! Everything traveling down the barrel, i.e. bullet and weight of powder charge is referred to as "ejecta". The ejecta total weight affects free recoil.

For fellow shooting nerds, here's a simple article from Outdoor Life concerning shotgun recoil. The concept is the same for rifles.

“There are two kinds of recoil shotgunners care about. The first is the free recoil that the mathematic formula gives us. The second is the perceived recoil (aka felt recoil), which is the cause of a swelled cheek and sore shoulder (i.e. the recoil you feel). They are different, but free recoil is directly related to perceived recoil.

While there are several free recoil formulas, I like the one from powder maker Hodgdon. It includes the weight of the gun, the weight of the ejecta (shot, wad, and powder), and the speed of the ejecta.

The formula for recoil energy in ft./lbs. is:
(Bw Mv + 4,700 Pw)2 / (64.348 Gw) where:
Bw = weight of the ejecta (shot and wad) in pounds;
Mv = muzzle velocity in feet per second;
Pw = powder weight in pounds; and Gw = the weight of the gun in pounds.”

The above excerpt from Outdoor Life clearly identifies defines the “ejecta” as everything that leaves a gun’s chamber to include the weight of the powder. A heavier powder charge does increase recoil. That’s why if all else is equal, a 416 Rigby produces more recoil than does a 416 Remington. The Rigby was designed to operate with low pressure in the era of Cordite gunpowder which was very temperature sensitive. Even on the hottest day in Africa, where the pressure produced in an old 416 Rigby far exceeded its mean working pressure (47000 psi), the bolt will still function for a second shot! My SWAG (sophisticated wild ass guess) is a Rigby's bolt would open with 65,000 psi, if not a little more.

For comparison, here is a recoil calculator for shotguns: http://www.omahamarian.org/trap/shotshellenergy.html
It calculated for a heavy 12 ga magnum 1.5 oz load at 1350 fps muzzle velocity at 44 lbs free recoil:

1722508002862.png

One can add ejecta weight or increase velocity but a 12 ga, 8 lb. shotgun will not produce the same level or recoil as a 10.5 lb. 458 Winchester! But firing three rounds quickly from this shotgun will definitely get one's attention!

Bonus: Here's a good article on the 416 Rigby;

Attachments

• 1722504234246.png
    1722504234246.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1722504979258.png
    1722504979258.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 1722506733754.png
    1722506733754.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1722506791229.png
    1722506791229.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The formula for recoil energy in ft./lbs. is:

(Bw Mv + 4,700 Pw)2 / (64.348 Gw) where:

Bw = weight of the ejecta (shot and wad) in pounds;

Mv = muzzle velocity in feet per second;

Pw = powder weight in pounds; and Gw = the weight of the gun in pounds.”
Yes that is a different formula to the SAAMI published method.
So long as you use either formula then the relative results bewteen calibres and guns will be correct. The final proof is the calibrated shoulder and the carcass on the ground.
SAAMI paper attached for reference.

Attachments

When was your Model 70 produced? All the current Model 70 Safari Expresses weigh in at exactly 9.0 lbs, great for a 375HH,.not ideal for a 458.WM.

I have shot a 470NE once, that was enough for me. I have no use for any “magnum” cartridge. I have found the 9.3x 62 is comfortable for me and all the gun I need.
Haven't had the pleasure to sample too many of the bigger bores, but I once had the questionable joy (to say the least) of pulling the trigger on a .585 Nyati. Let's call it 'sporty' recoil-wise, even if it was a quite heavy gun. :)

So I keep shooting the 404, and get slightly better at it each time. It can be loaded down a little, to be just somewhat north of a heavy 9.3x62 load. Sadly this means that my 9.3 does not get out of the safe all that often...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewBed

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?