Mountain rifles

Take a look at the Weatherby mountain rifle. It’s nice to support a company that took the risk and pulled stakes from the anti firearm state of California and put new roots in Wyoming.

Attachments

• Model 307™ Alpine™ CT - Weatherby, Inc..pdf
    409.7 KB · Views: 10
The lightweight rifles are an interesting and somewhat polarizing subject. Some of them don't feel right to me. I have found the Gunwerks to be easy to shoot with their stock design and balance. I have a friend with a NULA and it doesn't feel right to me. It's light to the point of being whippy...it doesn't really settle in...or I have to fight to settle it down with lots of muscle tension if that makes sense. I think rifles can be too light.
I’ve got very similar rifles to you - a Nexus 300 prc and a recently bought Gunwerks Clymr in 6.5 PRC for my lightweight rifle with a 20” barrel.

I’d buy another Clymr in 7 PRC (or 7 SAUM if I was a hand loader) if I wanted a little more bullet weight and diameter for moose. I wholeheartedly agree that there is a point of diminishing returns where a lighter rifle becomes less shootable and accurate in my hands. My Clymr feels like the perfect balance of weight and shootability. TBH, it hasn’t made it to the range yet :(

I’ve got very similar rifles to you - a Nexus 300 prc and a recently bought Gunwerks Clymr in 6.5 PRC for my lightweight rifle with a 20” barrel.

I’d buy another Clymr in 7 PRC (or 7 SAUM if I was a hand loader) if I wanted a little more bullet weight and diameter for moose. I wholeheartedly agree that there is a point of diminishing returns where a lighter rifle becomes less shootable and accurate in my hands. My Clymr feels like the perfect balance of weight and shootability. TBH, it hasn’t made it to the range yet :(
Not to derail the conversation, but have you found the Gunwerks to be worth the money?

I remember eyeing their LR-1000 a while back when they came out with the 7 LRM, but it seemed awfully pricey.

Not to derail the conversation, but have you found the Gunwerks to be worth the money?

I remember eyeing their LR-1000 a while back when they came out with the 7 LRM, but it seemed awfully pricey.
Yes, for my purposes. I’ve done a few of their courses so have shot a number of their rifles and have a great deal of confidence in every one of them. I am selling off rifles that are less often used to defray the cost and to declutter. When you find a rifle or two that shoot very well, fill you with confidence, and fit you DON’T sell them no matter the brand. Very little I can’t hunt with a 300 PRC or a 6.5 PRC, will mostly depend upon the terrain and the size of the game which I carry.

I’ve had enough rifles over the years to know what I like and selling a safe full of $800 to $2000 rifles to fund one Gunwerks makes a lot of sense for me. Their Clymr comes to my shoulder and feels more comfortable for me in field positions than any other hunting rifle I own or have tried.

On another topic, that new Weatherby rifle looks great, but for me the fun of buying, trying, and getting new rifles to shoot well has passed. I simply want a small number of rifles that I shoot very well and am confident in. I like shooting and hunting more than I do -)/&:)3!! around with rifles.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...you can't just drop a bomb saying 130" Coues without a photo. I have to see it. I was proud of this 100" Coues at 520 yards. I worked my butt off for that Coues after a week in the cactus.

View attachment 614047
Got home now so sending pictures you and @WAB requested! The pictures are from 2005 & 2004 before digital cameras on cell phones so I took pictures of the 35 mm pictures so not the best quality for posting. I hunted Sonora quite a bit back then. Took the heavy 6x5 130” Coues deer on the first evening of a 2005 trip and a 36” wide mule deer scoring 197” the very next morning. Deer hunt of a lifetime with two B&C deer! Please don’t hate me LOL. Also took a 113” Coues deer in 2004.

IMG_4552.jpeg

IMG_4550.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4553.jpeg

IMG_4554.jpeg

Holy smokes @Scott CWO, that first coues deer looks like it has the mass of a Canadian whitetail and that mulie buck is impressive as well. Those are impressive deer for sure.

I have what I consider a premier mountain rifle listed for sale right now. You're not going to find a flatter shooting rifle than 26 nosler. Pair that with the McMillan stock on the Browning Hells Canyon--and you have a tack driver ready to reach out and touch something.

Attachments

• X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range McMillan WITH 94 Rds Ammo (NO SCOPE) - Bolt Action Rifles at G...pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heather387

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex
A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?