Mountain rifles

Who built that rifle for you Scott?
A very detail-minded doctor client of mine with his own hobby shop who trained under David Miller of AZ. We’ve done some trading of hunts for rifles. He also built me a similar, but heavier, specialty elk hunting rifle with a fluted stainless Krieger barrel in 338 WM. Both shoot tight groups. They would be easy rifles to replicate with another good gunsmith.

I also shot a 130” Coues deer with the same 300 WSM rifle at 550 yards.

Last edited:
Excellent Scott. All those rams are great but that bighorn is a tank. Very cool...reminds me of the saying you should see the other guy! He beat the crap out of some rams.
Yes and old warrior! Biggest ram to ever come out of the San Francisco River unit in western New Mexico back in 2010. I found him a week before the season but then he disappeared for five days! Found him again the night before opening day and got him opening morning about 9am. 40” long and scores 186. Bases aren’t the biggest but he doesn’t taper much!

I think he's fantastic...ram of a lifetime.

If you’re contemplating a custom build on a 700 platform, it would be worthwhile to give TS Customs a look. Incredible rifles. He is very process oriented, so his turnaround time is the best I have seen. He did the barreled action inclusive of trigger and rings on this rig. I bolted it into the MDT chassis. I’ve shared the photo before. That’s my 600 yd target.

Image1718504249.019930.jpg

I'm thinking about ordering one of these for my next build.
If you're looking for Ultra lite and classic lines it's pretty hard to beat. At 18-21oz, you could have a pretty light rifle built if you desired.

I'm thinking about ordering one of these for my next build.
If you're looking for Ultra lite and classic lines it's pretty hard to beat. At 18-21oz, you could have a pretty light rifle built if you desired.

Take a look at the MDT HNT26.

I'm pretty familiar with it, just not a chassis fan for hunting. I have several Accuracy International rifles and love them for precision rifle shooting, but prefer a more traditional stock for hunting.

I agree with you, I wish my wrists did! Reduced mobility after surgery in both wrists makes vertical grips much easier to use.

I'd give some serious consideration to Hill Country Rifles and their Custom Carbon Rifleman as well. I'm a huge fan of Matt and Dave and they have done nothing but deliver exceptional service and even better performance on their builds for me over the last 20 years. It is however this particular rifle they built for me in 7mm PRC with a Defiance action and 20" Proof carbon fiber barrel that is my go to rifle whenever elevation is involved. This one is sub 1/4 minute and is the ultimate Aoudad rifle in my book, so would be no different for the different kinds of sheep others in this thread have shared - great looking animals, btw!

Aoudad are a fun subject. If you haven't hunted them yet, you should consider it. This one was taken by me near Big Bend, TX.

Aoudad are a fun subject. If you haven't hunted them yet, you should consider it. This one was taken by me near Big Bend, TX.

I may need to do that hunt!

If you do an aoudad hunt, my recommendation is to do one on a big ranch with cliffs and vertical terrain. It's a lot different than shooting one near a feeder or water source.

IMG_7573.jpeg

Take a look at the MDT HNT26.
I'm going back and forth between the HNT 26 and the XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium right now to put my HMR Pro in. I like that the XLR has full length arca Swiss (and metal vs carbon fiber) and also has built in bubble level. The stock on the hnt 26 looks comfortable though.

I put hands on the HNT 26 and started thinking about what rifle build to go with with no actual need for a new rifle. I immediately fell in love with that chassis. I just picked up a 1 year build otherwise I would already have put in an order.

Remington made a run of Model 700 "Mountain Rifles" several years ago.

I picked up a 7x57mm (floor-plate) and a .260 Remington with a DBM.

The 7x57 failed to meet my accuracy expectations (I still have it), but the .260 has been a absolute deer slayer.

(The .260 has taken my 2 largest whitetail bucks)

I'm going back and forth between the HNT 26 and the XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium right now to put my HMR Pro in. I like that the XLR has full length arca Swiss (and metal vs carbon fiber) and also has built in bubble level. The stock on the hnt 26 looks comfortable though.

Does anyone know of a lightweight vertical grip option, in either a stock or chassis, for a M70 WSM?

No doubt about it, free range Aoudad in West Texas are hard to beat - here is a nice Dodo I took NW of Marathon.
Nice mass on that ram. I was pleased with mine and would like to go back sometime and look for even older rams.

IMG_8454 3.JPG

A very detail-minded doctor client of mine with his own hobby shop who trained under David Miller of AZ. We’ve done some trading of hunts for rifles. He also built me a similar, but heavier, specialty elk hunting rifle with a fluted stainless Krieger barrel in 338 WM. Both shoot tight groups. They would be easy rifles to replicate with another good gunsmith.

I also shot a 130” Coues deer with the same 300 WSM rifle at 550 yards.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...you can't just drop a bomb saying 130" Coues without a photo. I have to see it. I was proud of this 100" Coues at 520 yards. I worked my butt off for that Coues after a week in the cactus.

IMG_2924.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WendiTully

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is roofrunner@aol.com. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with