Mountain rifles

Remington made a run of Model 700 "Mountain Rifles" several years ago.

I picked up a 7x57mm (floor-plate) and a .260 Remington with a DBM.

The 7x57 failed to meet my accuracy expectations (I still have it), but the .260 has been a absolute deer slayer.

(The .260 has taken my 2 largest whitetail bucks)
Don’t let the 700 action go to waste, rifle inc specializes in milling , blueprinting and accurate rebarrel the remington 700.
making a very interesting rifle is their specialty

Don’t let the 700 action go to waste, rifle inc specializes in milling , blueprinting and accurate rebarrel the remington 700.
making a very interesting rifle is their specialty
I won't.

My son has a Rokstock for a Tikka action.

It's very good for benchrest or prone, but IMO, it sucks for standing or shooting elevated.

I won't be buying one.

I’ve switched to only Blaser r8 so no dog, but most use it for hunting. So that’s interesting info.

I won't.

My son has a Rokstock for a Tikka action.

It's very good for benchrest or prone, but IMO, it sucks for standing or shooting elevated.

I won't be buying one.
Do you use vertical grip at all? It took a while for me to get used to it. I use a chassis a good bit on r8

I haven’t seen a chassis on the R8. Any photos?

IMG_4004.jpeg

GRS Ragnarok

Attachments

Reactions: WAB
I actually use them quite a bit, on AR platforms.

But, I don't like them on hunting rifles.

I've taken over 100 BG animals, but only one deer from a completely prone position.

To each his own, but I don't like vertical grips for hunting.

I had to shoot his .308 Tikka with only 1/4 of the buttstock touching my shoulder at a sleight downslope.

No thanks.

IMO, the factory stock was much better.

Good info my man. I’ve taken a lot too and I’ve never shot an animal prone.

On the memory trail...

The quintessential "mountain rifle" of the 1970's and 1980's in Western Europe was the Steyr Mannlicher with Stutzen stock. The two dominant calibers in France were .243 Win and .270 Win, while in Germany and Austria one would see just as commonly, and maybe more commonly, the 5.6x57, 6.5x55 and 7x64, and in Italy it would be a draw between American and German calibers. Eastern Europe, behind the Iron Curtain, was a mystery. The .25-06 was virtually unknown in Europe, at least to my knowledge, which is too bad as I reckon it would have been quite something in the mountains. The scope would almost universally be either a fixed 6x42 or a variable 1.5-6x42 Zeiss or Swarovski.

Mine was a Steyr Mannlicher Luxus Stutzen in .270 Win with Zeiss 1.5-6x42 on Suhl claw mounts. I still have it, and this is still my favorite mountain rifle for sentimental reasons.

Steyr Mannlicher Luxus .270 Win circa late 1970's with Zeiss 1.5-6x42 on Suhl claw mounts.jpg

Chamois hunting was generally a fall hunt, with winter snows starting to come down the mountains.

Chamois hunt La Garde 2008.jpg

The holy grail was a grand old Class III Chamois

Chamois Class III La Garde 2001.jpg

There were still a fair number of Mannlicher Schoenauer M72. This was a great rifle, but a lot less sophisticated than the Steyr Mannlicher that succeeded it. I had the opportunity to acquire one in 6 mm Rem. It was bullet proof and featured a large trigger guard to allow heavy winter snow gloves (with a small slit cut for the finger pad to contact the trigger). The 6 mm Rem - essentially a 6x57 - was almost as common as the .243 Win in those days in Europe, and generally recognized as slightly better.

Mannlicher Schoenauer M72 6 mm Rem.jpg

And one could even, from time to time, bump into an old timer carrying the mythical Mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 in 6.5x54. I had the opportunity to acquire one, but alas, without its original scope. The 6.5x54 was a good caliber in mountain hunting, but its trajectory was arcing, and its range was limited compared to the more modern calibers.

Schoenauer65x54.jpg

Gun madness was upon me in those years, and I talked myself into a single shot Kipplauf, a delightful Italian Zanardini with 2.5x10 Zeiss on claw mounts. I took it in 7x65R because I wanted the possibility of heavier bullets for Red Stag and Sanglier (Wild Boar).

Zanardini Kiplauf.jpg

If anyone wants it, PM me...

Today...

I reckon that the best calibers for lighter mountain game (e.g. Chamois, Vaal Rhebok, Mouflon, etc.) are the American .257 Wby and German 6.5x68 S, as well as recently introduced similar offerings such as the 6.5x65, 26 Nosler and various PRCs, but I shall confess to not knowing them as I see no reason whatsoever to replace the .257 Wby 100 gr TTSX that has become my favorite mountain and light PG caliber.

Heavier mountain game (e.g. the large Asian and American sheep) require more power. I can see the point for 8 mm, .338, etc. but I am still not on board for 800 yard game sniping, so although I own a .340 Wby which is the ballistic twin of the more recent hot .338s, you will not see me on a mountain with it. It is my Moose gun. The various American .300s and the German 8x68S top the list of what I reckon to be the best calibers for heavier mountain game. My big sheep, and large PG caliber is the .300 Wby 165 gr TTSX.

As to the rifle, I think that I am likely to finish my life with the Blaser R8. Since I prefer an additional pound on my shoulder to a few stiches on my eyebrow, the ultra-light argument does not resonate with me, and anyone who has actually shot upward in near vertical terrain when the scope comes so close to the face will understand exactly what I mean, and anyone who has actually hunted difficult mountains has come to realize that a little rifle heft helps tremendously when the wind blows and/or one is out of breath...

Final thought...

Do not deprive yourself of a mountain hunt in Africa! Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia may be a bit pricey for most, but Vaal Rhebok and Klipspringer in the Eastern Cape are a delight...

Vaal Rhebok 2022 - compressed.jpg

Klipspringer 2002 - compressed.jpg

Last edited:
Good info my man. I’ve taken a lot too and I’ve never shot an animal prone.

I’ve actually taken a number of antelope and mule deer prone. Locked in properly with a sling prone is incredibly stable.

Does anyone know of a lightweight vertical grip option, in either a stock or chassis, for a M70 WSM?

I literally just sent Montana Rifle Company an email the other day asking them for suggestions, I would absolutely love to put my X3 Xtreme 300 Win Mag in something that folds. Maybe if we get everyone on AH to send them an email they'll put something out? Get to work boys!! Haha

Seriously though.... I can't imagine it would be that hard for them to take a look at the options on the market and offer something on/for their rifles. Bergara is offering rifles in the XLR chassis now.

Reactions: WAB
Whoa, whoa, whoa...you can't just drop a bomb saying 130" Coues without a photo. I have to see it. I was proud of this 100" Coues at 520 yards. I worked my butt off for that Coues after a week in the cactus.

View attachment 614047
Haha well I’m traveling and don’t have a picture of it on my phone but will post when I get home.

Haha well I’m traveling and don’t have a picture of it on my phone but will post when I get home.

Please do, that’s a stud of a Coues deer!

I have no experience with mountain hunting, but I’m starting to look.

I want to check out the Bergara Premier Mg lite.

I’ve typically preferred a more traditional stock, but I see how this could have its advantages. I have three other rifles in the premier series and have been very impressed.

Bergara Mg Lite.

Does anyone know of a lightweight vertical grip option, in either a stock or chassis, for a M70 WSM?
1681897001478blob.jpeg

Would a thumb-hole stock like on this M70 work for your wrist? I can ask the doctor where he got it. Shot this 7x8 elk in NV.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WendiTully

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is roofrunner@aol.com. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with