Most efficient 3 cartridge spread for dangerous game?

I'll go with just one, though (disclaimer) I don't own one: a Marlin converted to a .50 Alaskan. Heck, I've even got the GBL to convert, and as an Alaskan, I SHOULD have an Alaskan, shouldn't I? :unsure: ;)

I guess it depends on what kind of dangerous game you're hunting.
Well he sais Africa so for most countries that would mean minimum 375....

As much as I like the 505, the 500j makes more sense. I lot less recoil so it can be built lighter with a shorter barrel and length. I need to build another on my 602, need two.

What has worked for me
9.3x62 plains game
404 Jeffery/416 Rigby
470 NE Double
have used all 4 with a great amount of success

I'll go with just one, though (disclaimer) I don't own one: a Marlin converted to a .50 Alaskan. Heck, I've even got the GBL to convert, and as an Alaskan, I SHOULD have an Alaskan, shouldn't I? :unsure: ;)
I had Wild West Guns build me a 50 Alaskan 10 years ago, great packing gun for hiking in bear country.

I had Wild West Guns build me a 50 Alaskan 10 years ago, great packing gun for hiking in bear country.
The three calibers I actually used on dangerous game were my wildcat .505 SRE (duplicates .500 NE in performance), .458 WM (my Krieghoff double rifle) and .375 H&H (my second set of rifle barrels for my Krieghoff). They never failed me.

9.3X64 004 (5).jpg

Krieghoff 007 (2).jpg

Interesting, I've never actually seen a rifle chambered for 400H&H or commercial ammo for it. That's one of H&H's newer inventions right?
In my search for the perfect dangerous game cartridge, I stumbled across the following article:

Does anybody on this forum have experience with the 400 H & H? Seems to me very close to perfect...

The three I'm planning at the moment are
.300 H&H bolt
.400 H&H or .404 Jeffery bolt
.450/400 3" double
Might even do a second set of barrels in .300 H&H for the double OR...get the 300 and 400 in a two barrel breakdown combo
The 400 H&H has my interest at this moment....I can not see any flaws in this cartridge!

In my search for the perfect dangerous game cartridge, I stumbled across the following article:

Does anybody on this forum have experience with the 400 H & H? Seems to me very close to perfect...
@zephyr has the most experience with this cartridge of any person I know of. But check out the threads for 400H&H too.

I would probably go 3-4-5
375 H&H
450 No 2 NE or 470 NE
500 NE

A possibly more versatile triplet in the same vein but to optimize for longer range PG opportunities would be:

300 H&H
450-400 NE
500 NE

@zephyr has the most experience with this cartridge of any person I know of. But check out the threads for 400H&H too.
Thank you, Pheroze! That will put me definitely on the right track....

Most “efficient” for me is what I already own.
A 9.3x62 Verney-Carron take down bolt action,
A .375 H&H Sako m85 Kodiak, and
A .450-400 3” Nitro Express Merkel double.
Good low power variable scopes in good QD mounts on all three.
All are reliable, accurate, and “powerful enough” for my wants and needs.

375 H&H
458 Lott scoped bolt
450 3-1/4” NE Double

458 B&M…all I ever need for DG, all 7 of them!

my choice for everything else:
243 AI
300 WSM LA

9,3 x 62
416 Rigby
500 NE

The argument can be about the 9,3 vs. 375 H&H. I see this as light, moderate and heavy... with overlap. If I were stuck with one for everything, I'd go with a 416.... carries the water at long and short range. A 4 rifle spread for everything... add a 7mm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriS2834

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]