Most efficient 3 cartridge spread for dangerous game?

Your title is DG only but your question is just the age old three gun battery for anything from birds to bull elepants. This takes care of that far better than so many others here. If you don't want to include birds just omit the shotgun.

Me, I'd go something similar to what Teddy Roosevelt did in 1910. I'm reading African Game Trails right now and what he took with these three is amazing.

12 gauge shotgun
30-06
500/450 (Teddy's choice) or 416 (my choice)
Teddy’s double was a gift from the English Aristocracy of the day. Not sure he had much say in the matter .

Sure, there are many cartridges that will do-it-all and take everything from plains game to elephant.

But

If you were to choose 3 cartridges (+rifles) to hunt dangerous game. Which 3 would you choose?

A few thoughts:

A. 375--416--458
Basically small, medium and large. The 375 being arguably the most versatile African game cartridge for hunting plains game on up to elephant. The 416s as being similar to the 375 but being more ideal for larger game, less ideal for plains game(?). And the 458 for having the stopping power and authority on Buffalo on up that you don't get with the other two.

B. 375--470 NE--500 Jeff
Same as above except your cutting out the middle and reducing the overlap of the 375 & 416. Adding a 470 NE fills the middle the same as the 458 (similar ballistics/energy) but also opens up the options of carrying a double rifle. For anything above and beyond what you would conceivably need a 470 for, there's the 500J that will take anything and act as a stopping rifle moreso than anything else mentioned so far.

C. 404 Jeff--450 NE --505 Gibbs
The classic Africana threesome?

What combo would you consider? What would the most efficient spread consist of if you were to limit it down to three cartridges?
Does all of the above count?

My Dangerous game rifles are;
Winchester model 70 stainless classic 375 H&H, Winchester model 70 Super Express Classic 416 Remington Magnum, and a Chapuis Elan 470 Nitro!
That's a good line up. I feel like once you go above the 416s there is a cartridge options all doing roughly the same thing with a 500 grain bullet at around 2,150 fps.
458 Win Mag
450 NE
470 NE etc.

You have to jump up to a 500NE or 505Gibbs to see a noticeable increase in performance from there.

Last edited:
Only because these are the 3 I currently have:
30-06
375 H&H
458WM

Got to throw in a 12 gauge shotgun for all around bird hunting.

Only because these are the 3 I currently have:
30-06
375 H&H
458WM

Got to throw in a 12 gauge shotgun for all around bird hunting.
...or a Drilling 12/12/.30-06

HWL

My dangerous game rifles are, an AHR CZ-550 in 375 H&H, and a Win Mod 70 in 416 RM, and that is where it ends for me unless I win the lotto and buy a double in 375. :)

I have a 404 (for big stuff) and a 375 (for other stuff). I can only carry one at a time, but if I get in a bind, the PH has a 500 NE.

No worries.

My Dangerous game rifles are;
Winchester model 70 stainless classic 375 H&H, Winchester model 70 Super Express Classic 416 Remington Magnum, and a Chapuis Elan 470 Nitro!
What about your 358 Norma?

Remington model 700 358 Norma and Interarms mark x 358 Norma, and of course both of those are custom built rifles!
The best all round cartridge ever built!

375 HH mag with 3-9 scope
416 Rigby with 1-6 scope
470 ne double

Would depend on the game for me, but:
.375 H&H - Bolt
.416 Rigby - Bolt
.450 Rigby - Bolt

Or

.375 H&H - Bolt
.416 or .450 Rigby - Bolt
.470 NE - Double

375 H&H
404 Jeffery
458 Lott

This is my battery. Shoot Barnes TSX in the two peashooters. CEB solids as well

CEB solids only in the Lott

.375 H&H
.416 Rigby
.470 NE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anuskaxett

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]