More thoughts on 9.3x64

I don't know about lions with a .30-30, but Jim Corbet killed several man-eating tigers with a .275 Rigby (7x57). For all I know, our own hunters habit might have as well. Maybe he'll tell us. Anyway the exploits of "Karamojo" Bell are well.dacumented. I believe he killed over 1100 elephants, most of which were with a 7x57.

I would not try to accomplish either of those things with a rifle that light even if it was legal. Those who say that cartridge doesn't matter at all and only shot placement counts are living in a dream world. There who live in flat, wooded country where any shot over 100 yards if long range and likely have never seen a game animal bigger than a white tall, really need to get out more before they lecture other hunters that "magnum" rifles are not useful and only Eastern hunters know anything about stocking.

Sort of a slide thread, but an interesting anecdote. I had a friend (now deceased) that will remain anonymous, that wanted to out-do WDM Bell with his elephant prowess. The friend had taken many elephant over the years with all sorts of calibers big and bigger. He killed an elephant with a 256 Newton, thus using a smaller gun than even Bell.

I asked him how it went on his hunt and his answer was it went without any fanfare. Shot to the brain, dead instantly.

We're fortunate to live in an era where wholly reliable powders exist and the quality of our bullets have never been better. I'd be completely comfortable hunting elephant with any weapon above 40 cal and 400grains given today's bullets. I'd be comfortable with my kids doing the same with a 375HH if I was backing the shot.

But in Bell's era under his circumstances? He made the right choice. The ammo was terribly unreliable and he had numerous problems hunting elephants with bigger guns until he settled on reliable 180gr FMJ solids in his 7x57 and 160gr solids in his 6.5x54MS. They penetrated straight and went bang every time he shot, better than he could accomplish in that era with his large bores.

I might feel the same way if I was in New York and naive about the demands of hunting in big, steep, open country, or dangerous African big game. Please don't tell me about Bell killing 1,000 elephants with a 7x57. Just because something can be done does not mean it is a good idea.
One thing I am not is niave! I freely admit I am not a good enough shot to take advantage of a gun in a caliber that can shoot tiny groups at 5-600 yards or further. If I offended you I apologize. To me the challenge and thrill of hunting is getting as close to my quarry as I can and humanely ending its life. But that’s just me. If you enjoy the challenge of long range hunting with magnum calibers go with god and do what you enjoy. The great thing about this sight is that no one here tries to tell you how you should do it. We kid and try to educate and seek others opinions. Ok down off my soap box. Enjoy your hunts.

Just picked up a Masuer 66 in 9.3x64 along with a 7x64 barrel for same....waiting for it to arrive to Iceland. Have a Baikal 9.3x74r ou double...which should be fun to regulate !

Had a x62 and enjoyed it when I was an active gunsmith also built one for each of my three boys. Got talked out of my x62 and later got a Highwall in 375 that made one shot kills on Eland, Buffalo and Sable. Recently found an 8x68S in a Brno 602 and am looking forward to using it on moose. Understand that it is a great alaround caliber for heavy game similar to the 93’s. Any input would be appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodrickRag

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?