More thoughts on 9.3x64

I own a couple of 9,4x64 rifles, great and versatile caliber.
For medium/heavy game, including plains game, I prefer bullets like the Accubond or other lead-core bullets with 250gr weight. Most of this bullets offer a high B.c. which last in high energy also in 300 m distance with flat ballistics.

If you intend to hunt buffalo with the 9,3x64, which is possible, you should focus on real premium bullets as heavy as possible like A-Frame, North Fork or check if the 320gr bullets from Degol or Woodleigh are available.

For our European game, especially if lead-free is requested, bullets like the 230gr Aero ( http://www.styriaarms.com/aero.html ) can be recommended, good ballistics due to good B.c. makes the caliber versatile.

The 9,3x64 is in my eyes a very precise caliber and so far I did not had any disappointments regarding non-precise bullets...

I had shot many Brenneke cartridges, including 7X64, 8X64S and 9.3X64. I felt the 8X64 was redundant and sold it off keeping the 7mm & 9.3mm... if I had been sharp that day, I would have went the other way around and kept the 8mm and sold the other two. However, I love my Ruger M77 Brenneke's... shot a lot of game with them, mostly with S&B TUG's.

The 7x64 and 9.3x64 sound like a nice combination.

The bottom rifle pictured is the 7X64 Brenneke.

20240114_084853.jpg

I opted for a 9,3x64 at one time, but for 100 -150 fps according to my chronograph over my 9,3x62 both handloaded to max and more blast and recoil I sent two 64s down the road. If I need more than the 62 I will opt for the 375 Ruger or 416 Rem..Components for the 9,3x64 are hard to come by these days and it has little to offer...

Sound like more than needed of a good thing on both counts to me. Why must we always try to improve on what already works perfectly, until we make it not perfect anymore? In my non-magnum crazed opinion you cannot improve upon the 7x57 or 9.3x62 without making them less than perfect, at least for a meat eater. Just a meat eaters humble opinion. If you have to shoot more than 300 yards, you don't need a magnum. You need to work on your stalking skills.

Sound like more than needed of a good thing on both counts to me. Why must we always try to improve on what already works perfectly, until we make it not perfect anymore? In my non-magnum crazed opinion you cannot improve upon the 7x57 or 9.3x62 without making them less than perfect, at least for a meat eater. Just a meat eaters humble opinion. If you have to shoot more than 300 yards, you don't need a magnum. You need to work on your stalking skills.
I might feel the same way if I was in New York and naive about the demands of hunting in big, steep, open country, or dangerous African big game. Please don't tell me about Bell killing 1,000 elephants with a 7x57. Just because something can be done does not mean it is a good idea.

I might feel the same way if I was in New York and naive about the demands of hunting in big, steep, open country, or dangerous African big game. Please don't tell me about Bell killing 1,000 elephants with a 7x57. Just because something can be done does not mean it is a good idea.
Well we do have common ground. I whole heartedly agree with your last sentence.

A couple of slide comments:

1.) Bell chose 7x57 (and 6.5x54) for elephant not because they were the best, but because A.) they can work, and B.) He had reliable ammo for those calibers at a time when most ammo was unreliable.

2.) 7x64 is certainly not overkill. It’s a slightly more powerful 7x57, virtually identical to 280 Remington. One of the primary reasons to select 7x64 is the rifles tend to be custom/vintage/european and attractive which is often not the case with many other calibers.

3.) Just a general comment that caliber and optimal accuracy are not particularly important factors I consider in rifles at the start, the quality of the bullet and reliable feed are the first things on my mind.

Use more gun. A 375 is much more powerful than a 9.3 and even with the Magnum nomenclature it is a mid-4 gun and quite pleasant to shoot. I have absolutely never ever fired a 375 that was unpleasant. I think it was Kevin Robertson that compared the 9.3 to the necked up 30 ought 6 cartridges like the 35 whelen 33806 etc. I've used them in Africa on PG and do not recommend it and especially not on any DG.

Wow, I didn’t know that about Bell killing that many elephants with a 7x57. Crazy! But I guess he used what worked at the time? Didn’t somebody back in the day kill a number of lions with a .30-30 Winchester?

Use more gun. A 375 is much more powerful than a 9.3 and even with the Magnum nomenclature it is a mid-4 gun and quite pleasant to shoot. I have absolutely never ever fired a 375 that was unpleasant. I think it was Kevin Robertson that compared the 9.3 to the necked up 30 ought 6 cartridges like the 35 whelen 33806 etc. I've used them in Africa on PG and do not recommend it and especially not on any DG.

The 9.3x64 with a 293gr factory load is literally 99% of the energy as a 375HH with a 300gr factory load. Whatever nod we give the 375HH for that miniscule amount of extra energy (both are over 4300 foot pounds), we have to give the nod to the Brenneke for the better B.C. And subsequent penetration.

If you’re comparing a 9.3x62 to a 375HH, then yes, the 375HH has a lot more oomph. (Nonetheless, my pre-teen son used a 375HH loaded with lighter 260gr bullets at 9.3x62 velocities for DG with no ill effect other than pleasant 26lb felt recoil)

There are probably a lot of Meat Eaters here.
A lot of vegetarians , vegans, snags and Hipsters would probably feel uncomfortable among the meat harvesters and meat eaters here.
And the Man Bun crowd probably don’t fit in among us dinosaurs of the site.
There are a few members younger than me but not all that many..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarionKueh

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe