Montana Rifle Company Returning in 2023?

Captain Munro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
jtwannabewriter.blogspot.com
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I saw this on NRA's American Rifleman Website today. Not sure if this was the right section to post in, but I think it counts as news.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.35 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 166
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.36 AM.png
    690 KB · Views: 168
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 6.51.37 AM.png
    539.5 KB · Views: 154
Wish them well, there was a rumor that Nosler bought them a couple of years ago. I had understood that the same place that does Ruger’s casting was also casting their receivers. I wonder if that played into closing up? Hopefully they can repair the customer service damage that was done at the end.

That’s good news for anyone that wants what I would call a semi-custom rifle. I really like mine in .416 Rigby. It is a beefy rifle and very accurate.
It is good news. I own a few left hand versions and all run smooth. A buddy of mine got a 416 Rigby that won’t feed worth a darn, so expect a little smith work from time to time..

I’ll buy another if they get up and running again.

About 1800$ is what buddy paid for his before all the pandemic small arms hysteria. Likely more if they follow the new Parkwest-Dakota business model.
I bought an American Legend in 30-06 from them at the Vegas SCI show. Best I've ever owned. Ordered a 404 Jeffery but they closed before it went into production. I hope they do come back. Fine examples of rifles and they shoot as good as they look..

I sure hope so. They should keep about 4 different model/lines and could steal a bunch of rifle customers from Kimber.

Safari Grade
Stainless/Synthetic
Tactical/Heavy Barrel
Light Weight/Mountain Rifle

There is certainly a void right now created from the departure of Barrett Fieldcraft and the lack of Kimber Montanas.

CRF. The Montana action isn’t the highest quality setup, but once some work is done to it by a competent gunsmith… they become very serviceable.
Can you expand on this a bit?

Can you expand on this a bit?
John Bolliger (American custom rifle maker) and I discussed about this when talking about suitable actions for a .505 Gibbs custom build. He explained that the Montana actions are a little bit rough and need comparatively more work done to them (than say, Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser actions or Waffen Prechtll Magnum Mauser actions) to make them more reliable for custom dangerous game rifle builds. But nothing to worry about. This is only a matter of relativity.

I’d say the Montana 1999 action is on par with Ruger actions in terms of quality. Which is not meant as a put down. Ruger makes a very serviceable rifle. Just a bit rough is all. In terms of design, the Montana 1999 is a better action than the Ruger since it largely mimics the Model 70. @Hunter-Habib is right that Granite Mountain and Prechtll make a far superior product. They bloody well should for the price difference. I’ve had custom gunsmiths tell me that you can start a custom rifle using a Model 70 or Mauser action or a Montana action and the final cost will be about the same. The M70 and Mauser cost more, but require less handwork. The Montana (and the CZ 500) cost less to buy but require more handwork. I’m glad to hear that Montana may get back in business. It should be a good option for those of us who can’t or won’t shell out the big bucks for a true custom rifle.

John Bolliger (American custom rifle maker) and I discussed about this when talking about suitable actions for a .505 Gibbs custom build. He explained that the Montana actions are a little bit rough and need comparatively more work done to them (than say, Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser actions or Waffen Prechtll Magnum Mauser actions) to make them more reliable for custom dangerous game rifle builds. But nothing to worry about. This is only a matter of relativity.
At a fraction of the cost. I understand what you’re saying.

Are they any better/worse that a current M70/Kimber action?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?