Common Blood-thinning Drug Neutralises Cobra Venom

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

A drug commonly prescribed to thin blood can be repurposed as a cheap antidote to cobra venom, a team of scientists based in Australia, Canada, Costa Rica and the UK has discovered.

Snakebites kill about 138,000 people a year, mostly in poorer rural areas in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, South and South East Asia.

More than 400,000 others develop necrosis when the tissue around the bite dies and turns black.

Continue...
Screenshot_6.jpg

Heparin carries its own set of risks.

Heparin can't be self-administered - it's generally given by IV. The article doesn't say, but I imagine it's talking about Lovenox (generic enoxaprin), which is administered via subcutaneous injection. Too much heparin too fast could cause hemorrhaging.

They're both relatively cheap, at least when compared to common antivenins. The common one in the US, administered for rattler and cottonmouth envenomations, is Crofab - it runs 6K - 10k USD per dose.

Although not mentioned in the article, I have often wondered what effects various snake bites had on people taking Warfarin. Many hunters traveling to Africa have had some need for anti-coagulation, as they are the age group most at risk. In the old days, that anticoagulant was rat poison. Very interesting topic.......................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dirk89B86

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?