Montana Rifle Company Returning in 2023?

GREAT NEWS! I have a MRC in .338 RUM, that has become one of of my favorite rifles.
I looked for their booth at SCI 2020, to no avail. I had every intention of ordering a .280. A few weeks later I learned they closed their doors.

Excellent news. Competition is a good thing! I guess "rough" is a relative thing. I bought an action in the white from MRC a few years ago. It was not rough at all. I've handled several CZ 550s as finished rifles and they were all what I would call "rough" or maybe gritty is a better term? :)

CRF. The Montana action isn’t the highest quality setup, but once some work is done to it by a competent gunsmith… they become very serviceable.
Incredible - at least to me, that a new rifle would need to be sent to a gunsmith to become “serviceable”. No thanks.

Incredible - at least to me, that a new rifle would need to be sent to a gunsmith to become “serviceable”. No thanks.
Lots of rifles fit that description, including CZ and Zastava. And there are a boatload of fans of both on this BBS.

If you're looking for bespoke quality, Rigby or Holland & Holland would be suitable. I dare say that 3000 USD would bring a CZ or Zastava to the same level of quality, though certainly not the aesthetic, of the classic British gun makers.

I have a 1999 that has never been to a gunsmith and it’s plenty serviceable. I’ve killed multiple white tails and a mule deer with it. It’s accurate and perfectly functional. It is NOT a custom rifle and shouldn’t be compared to one. Its custom guns that we’re speaking of and a 1999‘s suitability as a basis for one. If you are pleased with the quality of products produced by Winchester, Remington, Browning, Ruger, Savage, et. al., then the 1999 will also suit you.

I would truly love it if Ron Petty got them back up and running. I've corresponded with Ron, he certainly seemed earnest to me.

The one caliber missing from my collection would be a LH 404J. I REALLY hope they're coming back.

I also hope they make the PH models again in all the calibers, with the barrel band rather than the sling swivel stud in the fore end. I tried to buy one of their PH actions to build off of a while ago.

When I had my .416 built I added a barrel band, had the barrel cut from 24” down to 22” and had it serra coated (sp) . I hope they will still offer these services when they reopen?

When I had my .416 built I added a barrel band, had the barrel cut from 24” down to 22” and had it serra coated (sp) . I hope they will still offer these services when they reopen?
I liked the semi-custom aspect of the company, even though I didn't get to buy one. Hopefully there is more detailed information released soon. Maybe the owner will read this forum post to know what the people want.

I liked the semi-custom aspect of the company, even though I didn't get to buy one. Hopefully there is more detailed information released soon. Maybe the owner will read this forum post to know what the people want.
I don't think their problem was understanding what their customers wanted, it was, as I recall, a question of QA and delivery. Happy to be corrected on that, though.

The reason they gave at the time they closed was they were unable to keep up with demand. Of the many reasons for a company to fail, that’s pretty unusual. Kind of a classy problem to have actually. Usually, companies respond by increasing productivity by adding workers, adding equipment and even new plants. If they can’t do that, they increase their price until demand drops to match their ability to produce. I thought it was curious at the time….still do.

When I ordered mine, I was told 10-12 wks for delivery. If I remember it was ten weeks. Quality is fine. nicer than M70’s I’ve owned.
IMO, to separate themselves from Winchester, they should have gone more “custom”, and let you choose your barrel length and maybe iron sights. Wouldn’t have affected the delivery time by much as it would have only cost a couple hours of work. Charging an extra $100-$200 for that would be reasonable.

When I ordered mine, I was told 10-12 wks for delivery. If I remember it was ten weeks. Quality is fine. nicer than M70’s I’ve owned.
IMO, to separate themselves from Winchester, they should have gone more “custom”, and let you choose your barrel length and maybe iron sights. Wouldn’t have affected the delivery time by much as it would have only cost a couple hours of work. Charging an extra $100-$200 for that would be reasonable.
Agreed. I'd like express sights with some of the Big Boomers. How long were the barrels on the African models?

I really hope they come back- the industry needs more options and a robust profile. I'm also kind of selfish about it because then maybe I can more easily get replacement parts, if needed, for the one MRC actioned rifle I have. I have no idea why they folded. Maybe simple as not enough return to primary financial backers plus the constant customer service headaches and marketing hype swamp the managers had to subject themselves to. Who knows? But, if they do come back, I would make one recommendation. Resist the temptation of hooking up with the marketing swamp of hucksters like Buck Ward aka Colorado Buck. The industry is awash with them. A good product will stand on its own merits.

I really hope they come back- the industry needs more options and a robust profile. I'm also kind of selfish about it because then maybe I can more easily get replacement parts, if needed, for the one MRC actioned rifle I have. I have no idea why they folded. Maybe simple as not enough return to primary financial backers plus the constant customer service headaches and marketing hype swamp the managers had to subject themselves to. Who knows? But, if they do come back, I would make one recommendation. Resist the temptation of hooking up with the marketing swamp of hucksters like Buck Ward aka Colorado Buck. The industry is awash with them. A good product will stand on its own merits.
Amen to that! Nothing would put me off purchasing a product more than an endorsement from Buck, Boddington or Shockey! I realize that they’re just trying to make a dollar. However the profit motive is just too strong for a person’s integrity not to be questioned. I like my hunting mentors to be grouchy and skeptical.

Hope these guys come back, I own an X3 in 300 Win Mag (stainless). great shooting rifle, love it!!!

(pic from spring bear western MT this year)

1667927094041.jpeg

I will point out an issue I had though..... I was on the range and had some weird issues with the action, essentially the pin next to the yellow arrow was sliding out, i forget all of the symptoms but i do remember that it wouldn't fire.....
So a gunsmith i Missoula installed the small screw (blue arrow) to keep the pin from moving out again, this issue was after +/- 120 rounds. The gunsmith told me this was actually a common issue he's seen over the years with MRC and Winchester 70 actions. No issue since.

1667927929306.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholeHor

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with