Mauser M98 Magnum - Scope Mounts

MauserM03Blog

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.mauserm03blog.blogspot.com
Hello all. I'm looking for advice on scope mounts (with 30mm rings or a Zeiss rail) for a current version Mauser M98 Magnum with a Double Square Bridge.

There's a good chance that someone here is using Recknagel/ERA pivot mounts on their M98 Magnum. Hopefully you still have the little box they came in, to look up the part number. I've looked everywhere in the Recknagel catalogue, to no avail. I'm told that these pivot mounts are not shown in the catalogue - bewdy!

Other options are the MAK two-piece mounts or MAKflex bridge mount or EAW mounts, but again, specific part numbers are elusive. Is anyone using these?

Thanks for any clues. Regards, Rick.

M98 Magnum.png

ERA rear pivot mount.png
ERA front pivot mount.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.00.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.00.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.00.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.00.54 PM.png
    691.2 KB · Views: 82
You may also want to look at Smithson QD mounts. Below is a pic from JP Smithon‘s website and a link.
8363449_orig.jpg

I have a new .404 Jeffery built on a Granite Mountain Arms Double Square Bridge action and I chose these mounts. So far I am very impressed!
Matt at MNR Custom did the work and I can recommend him without reservation. Excellent work, great communication and delivery in the time frame promised. Couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.01.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.01.26 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.01.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.01.27 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:
You may also want to look at Smithson QD mounts. Below is a pic from JP Smithon‘s website and a link.
View attachment 508608

I have a new .404 Jeffery built on a Granite Mountain Arms Double Square Bridge action and I chose these mounts. So far I am very impressed!
Matt at MNR Custom did the work and I can recommend him without reservation. Excellent work, great communication and delivery in the time frame promised. Couldn’t be happier.

Matt is proving himself to be a very talented builder. And a super nice guy to boot.

Attachments

Brevex Magnum Mauser Action, EAW-Montage,
Cal. 460 WBY-Magnum
IMG_0004 (1).jpeg

Double Square Bridge Mauser Magnum Action, ERAMATIC-SCHWENKMONTAGE mit Klemmringen, Cal. 12,7x70 Schüler
IMG_0002 (4).jpeg

'm looking for advice on scope mounts (with 30mm rings or a Zeiss rail) for a current version Mauser M98 Magnum with a Double Square Bridge.
Do not go cheap, or low quality.
I put Rusan magnum steel rings on ZKK with double square bridge on dove tail. "Magnum" means 6 screws on front ring.

Other brand, EAW.
My sistem is german swing mounts, and hold zero prefectly, is and fast to remove or put back.
Drop email to optics trade, the owner of shop will help you decide.

6 scope installed.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.04.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.04.09 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
Hi Rick,

I think the M98 Magnum actions use the same mounts as the DSB Rigby Big Game.

I know Pro Tactical have the Recknagel mounts to suit in stock - I saw some there a couple of weeks ago.

T: (07) 3420 6763
M: 0457 760 822

I am using the G9 Plus Version on my 9,3x64 Mauser - page 32

View attachment 508552
Hi Flow. I've studied this page of the catalogue more than any other. Sadly, the Mauser M98 Magnum with Double Square Bridge is not listed. So which part number did you choose - and, did the set come with bases that are screwed onto the receiver? Clearly, with a Double Square Bridge I don't need bases. Just front and rear rings of the same height.

I think the M98 Magnum actions use the same mounts as the DSB Rigby Big Game.

I know Pro Tactical have the Recknagel mounts to suit in stock - I saw some there a couple of weeks ago.
Hi Tintin. Thanks for this. It's easy to believe that the Mauser Magnum and the Rigby Big Game models with Double Square Bridges would use the same mounts. And yet I've been told they don't, by someone who should know. Frankly, I think you're the one who has it right. Why would the Double Square Bridges be different between these actions - other than to give Rigby the ability to charge like wounded Cape Buffalo bulls for proprietary mounts. Hang on .... Hmmmm. :unsure:

I've just stumbled onto these mounts, from Henneberger in Germany. With these I could choose a scope with a rail mount, for the first time ever. The rail would add stiffness to the scope, which has to be good when swinging the mount on and off the bases. I'm trying to figure out if rail mounted scopes sit higher than ring mounted. It looks like they will be higher.
Henneberger swivel Zeiss rail.png

Hi Flow. I've studied this page of the catalogue more than any other. Sadly, the Mauser M98 Magnum with Double Square Bridge is not listed. So which part number did you choose - and, did the set come with bases that are screwed onto the receiver? Clearly, with a Double Square Bridge I don't need bases. Just front and rear rings of the same height.

To be honest I would have to ask my gunsmith, which part number it is - usually I am just telling him what I would like to have and he is the guy who is dealing with this info... I also have a DSB - there weren't any bases, just the rings

Katalog 11
I have Recknagel's Katalog 11 and have read every page. No mention of Mauser M98 Magnum with Double Square Bridge. Strange really. The Recknagel peeps will find an email from me in their inbox, waiting for them with exactly this question. I'm hoping the answer is that it's too easy. Mauser have made it easy by inclusion of that beautifully prepared Double Square Bridge. It could be, 'Choose any pivot mount and leave the levelling bases in the box.'

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-01 at 12.05.08 PM.png
    847.4 KB · Views: 74
Matt Roberts at mnr custom. One of his specialties is machining in Talley bases on double square bridge guns. Just had him do one of my gma rifles…tops job.

I have Recknagel's Katalog 11 and have read every page. No mention of Mauser M98 Magnum with Double Square Bridge. Strange really. The Recknagel peeps will find an email from me in their inbox, waiting for them with exactly this question. I'm hoping the answer is that it's too easy. Mauser have made it easy by inclusion of that beautifully prepared Double Square Bridge. It could be, 'Choose any pivot mount and leave the levelling bases in the box.'

The double square action are made neutral. Recknagel does not take into account the type of Mauser action. The gunmaker mills the action according to what kind of mount is desired.

The serial rifles from Mauser have pre-milled systems that only require an adapt system that is prepared to accept a standard mounts systems, in the majority cases a Schwenkmontage mit Klemmringe.

Custom rifles are milled as required. You won't find anything in the catalogues, as this is about pure craftsmanship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acetylcholine

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with