African Huntin Boots

Curious to build on this. What is the quietest shoe? My salmon’s were the very best comfort but were loud
Hi @Rare Breed - I too have hunted Africa a few times in my Salomon's, very comfortable but I did not notice them being real noisy. I have also used Lowa Renegades, Russell Moccasins PH and Crispi Attiva Mid and all of these have been very comfortable for me. When I want to be real quiet I have worn my Gokey Shadow Hunters hut I can't walk miles and miles in these as they don't provide enough support for me. I think Russell use to make a model called the Thula Thula that were supposed to be quiet.

Courteney Safari all day and twice on Sunday. I use them as hiking boots as well, and after a good shining they make excellent smart-sporty shoes with heaps of character. Comfy, light, lots of traction and—of course—look the part. Will never switch.

View attachment 607504
Nice picture...looks like you both are having a great time. I love the look of Courtney boots however they do not fit my foot well and are uncomfortable to me so I unfortunately can not wear them.

Hi @Rare Breed - I too have hunted Africa a few times in my Salomon's, very comfortable but I did not notice them being real noisy. I have also used Lowa Renegades, Russell Moccasins PH and Crispi Attiva Mid and all of these have been very comfortable for me. When I want to be real quiet I have worn my Gokey Shadow Hunters hut I can't walk miles and miles in these as they don't provide enough support for me. I think Russell use to make a model called the Thula Thula that were supposed to be quiet.
Wow!!! The Gokey boots may just be the ticket…super light weight and very quiet…”feels like you are in your bare feet”

Wow!!! The Gokey boots may just be the ticket…super light weight and very quiet…”feels like you are in your bare feet”
For my Salamon shoes I am just going on my PH, Lou Hallamore’s comments to me on my elephant hunt. He wears Courtney

For my Salamon shoes I am just going on my PH, Lou Hallamore’s comments to me on my elephant hunt. He wears Courtney

I wish Courtney's felt comfortable to me but they don't

Gaiters:
1. https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/...POJBwOy4Hoju_afJdRMxXcgrILkt_ZQ0aApssEALw_wcB
inexpensive,durable, work well
2. https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/
designed for trail runners, lightweight,comfortable,durable. Wide variety of patterns,colors. Fit well over Russells as do the first.
Boots:
1. Am a Russell fan of old, not so much where the company has gone. Have fabric and all leather pHs with Huez soles, quiet, great ground feel.
2. For a synthetic low boot I have Salomon Ultra 4s, very comfortable, no break in, recently bought Aku Seveltica, is a mid boot, lower than the Salomon, also no break in.
I live and hunt in deep south Texas, wear shorts most of the season from Labor day through mid December, given the snake prevalence in my area and my desire to move in the brush stalking have migrated to lace up knee high snake boots. Allow me good ground feel, can run in and stay cool. Boots are either Russell Turkey hunters or “gasp” Rockys. Have yet to have Huisache thorns or prickly pear spikes or glochilds make their way the snake boots but have had thorns in the Salomon soles, consider Turtleskin insoles for thorn penetration.

Attachments

Let us know your thoughts on the Jim Greens. I was considering ordering a pair the other day. Keep going back and forth between the Barefoot boots you got and the Rangers.
I just picked up a pair of Rangers for about $108 earlier this month at Safari Outdoor while heading to the airport in Joberg. So far, I've been wearing them around my property, and when I go to the horse barn with my wife and daughter. They're breaking in perfectly and are very comfortable. They didn't have the buffalo hide version, or I'd have gotten those.

I’ve found the Courtney’s to be a bit heavy for my preferences. I went with a barefoot style Merrell with the Boyt gaiters for my buffalo hunt and I thought they worked quite well. Occasionally had to pull some sikkelbos out of the bottoms, but nothing terribly painful or more than a slight inconvenience.

I have also tried the LEMS Boulder boot, it will be my primary boot this year with leather gaiters
How you getting with the LEMs boulder boots @joker2400 ?

I liked them the bit I wore them last year and around here, but won’t have significant experience with them until August

Had problems last safari with my feet hurting after a week. This time around I bought Keen Targhee IV Waterproof Hiking Boot.
So far they are very comfortable and seem well made. I’m taking them to Namibia on Safari for the month of July. Will keep you all posted.

HH

Actually for those that are trying out new boots or just going to Africa on a hunt and don’t want to be worried about blisters pack this stuff.
My better half put me onto this.
Now for someone the squeeze her feet into high heels for five days straight to walk a load at race course she knows a thing or two about blisters. This stuff works. Its lite comes in an easy case that you can stuff in a pocket and is just a must have. Try it you wont be disappointed. Even if you don’t use it you can always leave it on the truck for the next poor bugger that’s havi trouble with his/her sockets or boots/high heels :whistle:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.36.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.36.56 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
I have liked the La Sportiva Ultra Raptor Mid GTX boots this year. Took them on South TX nilgai hunt and a Limpopo PG hunt. Have also used them on sharp loose rocks hiking in the hill country. Sole is soft but never had thorns get through them. Stiffness is pretty low but good for general hiking. Breathable in hot weather. I’ll probably buy another pair if they make it through the year.

Hi @Rare Breed - When I want to be real quiet I have worn my Gokey Shadow Hunters hut I can't walk miles and miles in these as they don't provide enough support for me. I think Russell use to make a model called the Thula Thula that were supposed to be quiet.

I'm worried about overall traction in this style of footwear (no grip outer sole).
In the moments during a stalk where you want to cover ground quickly.

I didn't read the pages of replies but footwear is a very personal subject. It depends on your need for ankle and arch support. I wear Russell PHs, which are great for my needs. Courtenays are very popular but are just too flat for my feet. One thing to keep in mind, many PHs have told me that clients show up with shoes that are just too loud...hiking boots, etc that make a lot of noise on stalks.

I would say that you should be willing to invest some real $ to get proper footwear. If your footwear isn't right or comfortable, you can seriously affect your success rates. Good shoes and good optics are worth it. You hunt with your feet and your eyes.

I liked them the bit I wore them last year and around here, but won’t have significant experience with them until August
Can you please confirm the weight of LEMS "Boulder Boot Leather" they just seem SUPER lightweight for the size they are when compared to one of the lightest Gokey shoes... I'm also confident but not certain that the weight of LEMS are per shoe not per pair but don't own any to know... But that still makes the LEMS very very light for what they physically are in sheer size...
LIGHTWEIGHT FOOTWEAR.png

Can you please confirm the weight of LEMS "Boulder Boot Leather" they just seem SUPER lightweight for the size they are when compared to one of the lightest Gokey shoes... I'm also confident but not certain that the weight of LEMS are per shoe not per pair but don't own any to know... But that still makes the LEMS very very light for what they physically are in sheer size...View attachment 618502
I have the Boulder boot mid, but yes they are incredibly light. Not 9oz light though

IMG_8749.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the Boulder boot to be quiet and very comfortable. However, since its a barefoot style shoe and has soft rubber soles I did take a few thorns to the foot. I think this issue could be circumvented with the proper insole though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andama

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with