Mauser M98 Magnum - Scope Mounts

Call Jerry Noblin at JD Outfitters. He is a Mauser and Rigby dealer and will have what you need. He has helped me out with Rigby/Mauser rings a few times

. It's easy to believe that the Mauser Magnum and the Rigby Big Game models with Double Square Bridges would use the same mounts.

Aren't they basically the same gun, Rugby buying/getting finished barreled actions from Mauser?

The double square action are made neutral. <snip> The gunmaker mills the action according to what kind of mount is desired.
Hi Grand.
The work you’ve described has all been done, by Mauser, as standard. The Double Square Bridge is ready for swing mounts of the industry standard kind. No further craftsmanship is needed.

It’s odd that Recknagel and EAW (and others) do not include this Mauser M98 Magnum action in their catalogues.

EEF63533-DF9D-44CB-BD2A-340334EC098D.jpeg

From Reto Beuhler's shop... similar to Talley mounts, but remove with 1/4 turn of the lever...

404 May 25:21-B.JPG

Aren't they basically the same gun, Rugby buying/getting finished barreled actions from Mauser?
Yep. Rigby proudly describe how they use barrelled actions supplied to them by Mauser, just as it was before The Great War. While it seems obvious that the Double Square Bridge would be the same on both Mauser and Rigby versions, I have not found confirmation of this.

Hello all. I'm looking for advice on scope mounts (with 30mm rings or a Zeiss rail) for a current version Mauser M98 Magnum with a Double Square Bridge.

There's a good chance that someone here is using Recknagel/ERA pivot mounts on their M98 Magnum. Hopefully you still have the little box they came in, to look up the part number. I've looked everywhere in the Recknagel catalogue, to no avail. I'm told that these pivot mounts are not shown in the catalogue - bewdy!

Other options are the MAK two-piece mounts or MAKflex bridge mount or EAW mounts, but again, specific part numbers are elusive. Is anyone using these?

Thanks for any clues. Regards, Rick.

View attachment 508521

View attachment 508522View attachment 508523
Happy New Year.

The Rigby uses a Mauser action. My Big Game 416 Rigby clearly shows it is a new Mauser 98 magnum action (it's on the receiver). I have Recknagel mounts on mine. My other Rigby has EAW. NECG and/or a good gunsmith will know which mounts you need. I suggest you have a good gunsmith install them as they are overly complicated, and most will need additional work to fit.

Safe Shooting

Happy New Year.

The Rigby uses a Mauser action. My Big Game 416 Rigby clearly shows it is a new Mauser 98 magnum action (it's on the receiver).

Safe Shooting
Hi SF.

I like how the Rigbys have ‘Mauser - Made in Germany’ on the receiver and ‘Rigby - London’ on the barrel.

Your gunsmith could win AfricaHunting for the day if s/he knows the Recknagel part number used for your 416. :)

Hello all. I'm looking for advice on scope mounts (with 30mm rings or a Zeiss rail) for a current version Mauser M98 Magnum with a Double Square Bridge.

There's a good chance that someone here is using Recknagel/ERA pivot mounts on their M98 Magnum. Hopefully you still have the little box they came in, to look up the part number. I've looked everywhere in the Recknagel catalogue, to no avail. I'm told that these pivot mounts are not shown in the catalogue - bewdy!

Other options are the MAK two-piece mounts or MAKflex bridge mount or EAW mounts, but again, specific part numbers are elusive. Is anyone using these?

Thanks for any clues. Regards, Rick.

View attachment 508521

View attachment 508522View attachment 508523
I’ve got a Rigby DSB in 375 with Recknagel rings. I’ve handled a Mauser DSB in 416 and the mount inserts/bases built into the action look identical. I know that Rigby acquire their barreled action in the white directly from Mauser and I’d be very surprised if it’s different.
Call Dave at Pro Tactical in Brisbane if you want some. Pretty sure he’ll have them in stock.

This is a bit of a find - a video with a good segment showing the rifle I've ordered and with the Recknagle mounts I need, holding the scope I think I'll be buying. Very handy.

The gentleman's name is Calvin. If anyone can put me in touch with him, they'll win the internet for today, without question. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Rigby acquire their barreled action in the white directly from Mauser and I’d be very surprised if it’s different.
Hello R eight.

I've received news from Recknagel via a dealer that there is a difference in the pivot mount sets they make for Mauser M98 Magnum rifles versus Rigby Big Game rifles. There is a small difference in the height of the rear ring. To me this suggests that the ring sets for these rifles should not be seen as interchangeable. Recknagel's part numbers for the ring sets for the two rifles differ. Ring sets for Mauser Magnum rifles end with '2U', while sets for Rigbys end with '2Q'.

Hello R eight.

I've received news from Recknagel via a dealer that there is a difference in the pivot mount sets they make for Mauser M98 Magnum rifles versus Rigby Big Game rifles. There is a small difference in the height of the rear ring. To me this suggests that the ring sets for these rifles should not be seen as interchangeable. Recknagel's part numbers for the ring sets for the two rifles differ. Ring sets for Mauser Magnum rifles end with '2U', while sets for Rigbys end with '2Q'.
Thanks for the info mate. Good to know (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andama

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with