Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Just wanted to share my experience. As everyone has, primers are hard to come by. I found a small little company within 23 miles of me that has primers in stock and I bought another 1,000 magnum primers to give a total of 2,000 which is all I should ever need. The company is Southern Munitions in Acworth GA. Look them up on their web site...they may have primers for those of you who are looking for them.

I just found 500 large magnum primers Fedearl 215 for $150 on GB. I bought another 1,000. Yes high but I do not see them going lower

Just wanted to share my experience. As everyone has, primers are hard to come by. I found a small little company within 23 miles of me that has primers in stock and I bought another 1,000 magnum primers to give a total of 2,000 which is all I should ever need. The company is Southern Munitions in Acworth GA. Look them up on their web site...they may have primers for those of you who are looking for them.
Just recently picked up a thousand large rifle magnum primers from Natchez Shooters supply. They're out there but you have to dig to find them!!

just found a small shop yesterday and he pulled out a box of a thousand and said he would sell me those for 45.00 per 100 because that is what he can get on GunBroker no thanks
You know, folks like that dealer who take advantage of the shortage should all come down with terminal crotch rot.

You’re not being realistic with all due respect. Primers are the most hardest to find. To think they will come back to historical pricing is clearly unrealistic. When I see them, yes high, I buy so when I need to reload I have what I need. Stop complaining of hoarders. I am just realistic. When you think of an African hunt and that cost paying extra reloading cost is a small price to pay

You’re not being realistic with all due respect. Primers are the most hardest to find. To think they will come back to historical pricing is clearly unrealistic. When I see them, yes high, I buy so when I need to reload I have what I need. Stop complaining of hoarders. I am just realistic. When you think of an African hunt and that cost paying extra reloading cost is a small price to pay
Realistic? When I've just bought 1000 magnum LR primers for $160.00? At $45 a hundred that's robbery! And yes I'll complain about people like that because they are crooks taking advantage of a poor situation. Not stopping you from paying $45 a hundred. Have at it friend.

The only way that any reloading components will come down to reasonable levels is if there is a major change in the political leadership in the U.S. I hate to use the term leadership with regards to the current crop. I have seen this happen several times over the years and it has always corrected with the change but this time I have no confidence in that improving. It just feels different this time.

The only way that any reloading components will come down to reasonable levels is if there is a major change in the political leadership in the U.S. I hate to use the term leadership with regards to the current crop. I have seen this happen several times over the years and it has always corrected with the change but this time I have no confidence in that improving. It just feels different this time.
Yes Sir, I agree. Powder prices have almost doubled and sure enough primer prices have gone WAY up! Point being if a person is willing to look close there are better prices out there than what you'll find on GB. Not easy but they are out there. I shoot year round. Not 10 or 12 rounds a year then declare 'ol Betsy is good to go. I love shooting and handloading and do plenty during the year. I feel prices may drop slightly in the future but will they return to the original level? probably not.

Personally 115.00 is reasonable in this climate I believe. I have never been to Hare Trigger and now never will. I am about to make a run to Precision Reloading to put my name in the hat, been trying to hold out for Hungry Dog trailer at Cabelas. I will also drop By SoDak and see what they have.

Or a major change in the attitudes of paranoid hoarders.

You guys have no reason to whine. Last summer just to get enough 30-06 ammo loaded for a trip to Africa, I was forced to buy large rifle primers from what I am certain was the only retailer in all of Canada that had them, Italian Sports in Vancouver. Federal Gold Medal grade. By the time two trays of 100 were at my door it was over $100 Canadian ... EACH. Now I too am searching for magnum primers as I'm building a 404 Jeffery. Lots of obstacles to completing that build but finding primers may prove to be the worst.

Last edited:
Several years ago after one of these great shortages I decided that I would lay in enough components to hold me for a while. So far that is working as planned for me but I know that there are plenty of folks who got caught in this one. I particularly feel for newer hunters and shooters who can't get what they need and hope that they don't just give up. If this one ever simmers down lay in a supply of what you need!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothyshize

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.