Love the 222 Rem

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
A 222 Remington is a cartridge i seem to have had all my life, old Sako L46, Remington 722, 600 700 i have them all at one time & sold them to get something else, my first center-fire rifle was a REM 722 in 222 i think i was 17 at the time & purchased the rifle during my lunch break at a sports store in George st in Sydney Australia, there were 5 gun shops in that street at that time, i took that rifle home wrapped in brown paper on a bus. I have played with 223, 22 PPC, 22 hornet 220 swift ect. Just got a mint Remington 700 ADL 222 1968 vintage its like new so i am in love again with the 222.

I had a beautiful Sako with a heavy barrel, and a prone stock. And I had all the benchrest dies of highest quality. Unfortunately, after a plane crash that seemed serious enough to keep me out of the field for ever, and changes in Canada's gun laws, I was reluctantly willing to sell it...

It was a phenomenal rifle. After I glass bedded it, with an 8 power scope, it would shoot real half inch five shot groups. I logged every target and load development group I ever shot with it. Sako has a nice new 222, but nobody seems to want them. I never see one for sale. And I don't really have anything to shoot it at, with changes in our hunting regulations.

The Triple duece is a great cartridge, got one in a 788 and 722. My first coyote was killed with Dad’s 788.

I had a beautiful Sako with a heavy barrel, and a prone stock. And I had all the benchrest dies of highest quality. Unfortunately, after a plane crash that seemed serious enough to keep me out of the field for ever, and changes in Canada's gun laws, I was reluctantly willing to sell it...

It was a phenomenal rifle. After I glass bedded it, with an 8 power scope, it would shoot real half inch five shot groups. I logged every target and load development group I ever shot with it. Sako has a nice new 222, but nobody seems to want them. I never see one for sale. And I don't really have anything to shoot it at, with changes in our hunting regulations.
Old Sako L46 &461in 222 are very sought after in Australia about $1500 + in as new condition & more for 222 mag.

Agree, ugly as hell and the magazine in noisy as all hell, but I haven’t been behind one that shot badly

Ive got two 222's. Both sako L46 and a L461 , both stutzen style. Great rifles accuracy is very good from both. I run nosler shots in 50gr Hope to use them a bit more down south, where game is more suited to calibre.
The 46 and 461 are sought after in Aus dont last long on the used market.
Heres a few pics, Cheers Mick
L46 top L461 bottom
DfPQor.jpg

L46 222, photo bombed by my Wei Styer
ociSiv.jpg

L461
jvXGAr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a number of 222 rifles, they have all shot well. The CZ shot well but I Prefer my 788 and 722 Remingtons. My 722 Rem Magnum also is a great rifle. I've never bought an Anschutz due to the reasons listed by others.

Love the round. I shoot hundreds of monkeys in the sugarcane yearly with mine and superbly accurate Berger FB 52gr SP. Every year she takes a few Impala, springbuck, pig, blesbuck or what have you.

Sako L461

307.JPG
312.JPG
368.JPG
555.JPG
556.JPG
004. .222 Rem Sako L461.JPG

The .222 REM is about my favorite varment ctg. Very accurate, mild to shoot, easy to reload, just overall fun. The .222 rem. also dominated the bench rest target matches for over 20 yrs, I believe, in the 60s.
Very nice ctg!

Was the first rifle I ever bought with my own money. I think I was 10. Western Field model ??? Monkey Wards or Western Auto. I don’t recall. About $75 or so in 1971ish. I do know I killed my first twelve Texas white tails with it. Several coyotes as well

45 years ago, as soon as I had an adequate deer/elk/moose rifle, my next purchase at 18 years of age was a small game/varmint rifle. Remington 700 in .222. I've owned at least one rifle in that chambering ever since. Wonderful for long walks after jack rabbits ( hares) fox, coyote, beaver, and shot hundreds of ground squirrels and crows. I replaced that rifle with a couple of nicer Sako L461 rifles, and still have one of those, a heavy barrel "varmint" version that is superbly accurate. Have a nice light and handy Anschutz sporter too. And a Brno ZKK 601 with the pop up peep sight and single set trigger. It has Mauser type controlled round feed for peace of mind while hunting dangerous varmints ;-) For a while I had a Heym BBF in 16/.222 which was a great gun for small game in the bush or for shooting beavers. Our province recently made hunting deer and even elk, bear and moose legal with a .222. Doubt I'll use mine for that purpose, but I'll always have a .222 in my rack.

IMG_2903.jpeg
IMG_5269.jpeg
IMG_5386.jpeg

A 222 Remington is a cartridge i seem to have had all my life, old Sako L46, Remington 722, 600 700 i have them all at one time & sold them to get something else, my first center-fire rifle was a REM 722 in 222 i think i was 17 at the time & purchased the rifle during my lunch break at a sports store in George st in Sydney Australia, there were 5 gun shops in that street at that time, i took that rifle home wrapped in brown paper on a bus. I have played with 223, 22 PPC, 22 hornet 220 swift ect. Just got a mint Remington 700 ADL 222 1968 vintage its like new so i am in love again with the 222.
I'm only a young fella but I've been Lawrence Ordinance in George St Sydney in 2019?
An old fella in Cobar NSW was still operating a gunshop from home at 80+ years old last I went through there. He had worked in Mick Smith's Sports store in Sydney.

I remember various conversations with Arthur Langsford of Myra's Sports Store Broken Hill when I was as a teenager. He had a patent on the extruder Rimfire.
The Triple duece is a great cartridge, got one in a 788 and 722. My first coyote was killed with Dad’s 788.
I have a mate who still, in March 2022 shoots Roos for a living with an old Rem 788 in .222

I have had two 222's, both of them 722's. The one I still own today is the DeluxeModel 722 so it has the hand checkering on it.

They are just so accurate and fun to shoot. My two favorite loads are using the Nosler 40 gr BT and more recently the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade.

I have several varmint calibers I shoot more but the triple deuce will always have a stall in the barn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.