Love the 222 Rem

I have been shooting the triple deuce since the mid-70’s and love the cartridge. I am on my second Remington Model 722 in the Deluxe version which means it has nice checkering.
Easy to load for and extremely accurate.

Have 2x 222Rem one is a crf Sako inherited from my grand mother who won some bisley comps 3 times with this rifle......frightfully accurate....the other is a Mini Mod90 Musgrave limited edition. 100 where made and I own number 0055......great little caliber....Hornet on steroids

Love the round. I shoot hundreds of monkeys in the sugarcane yearly with mine and superbly accurate Berger FB 52gr SP. Every year she takes a few Impala, springbuck, pig, blesbuck or what have you.

Sako L461

View attachment 453062View attachment 453063View attachment 453064View attachment 453065View attachment 453066View attachment 453067
No monkey pictures? They can be a pest--even go inside your house and steal your fruit if you leave a window or door open--then off they go down the electrical wires!

Have 2x 222Rem one is a crf Sako inherited from my grand mother who won some bisley comps 3 times with this rifle......frightfully accurate....the other is a Mini Mod90 Musgrave limited edition. 100 where made and I own number 0055......great little caliber....Hornet on steroids
I think it’s a bit more than the Hornet on steroids. The Hornet is nice in itself.

222’s are great. I have an Ithaca LSA-65 (made by Tikka) and a Tikka T3 Hunter. Both good shooters. I‘ve mainly used them for prairie dogs. I’ve always wanted one in A 600 Remington but not bad enough to pay what they are asking for them now. Too many of them were rechambered to 223 in the day. Pretty good predator calling round too. Mostly shoot paper with them now, all of the dog towns I used to shoot have been poisoned out. Now I bring them to shoot when shooting heavier recoiling guns. I shoot the 222’s when waiting for the other barrels to cool. I think this helps me to not get flinchy when shooting my 338 win Mag and 35 Whelen (yes Bob. I keep them both in the same gun safe and they get along ).

No monkey pictures? They can be a pest--even go inside your house and steal your fruit if you leave a window or door open--then off they go down the electrical wires!

I don’t think I have any pics. A few baboon pics, and one particularly big male vervet shot with a Winchester defender and scull mounted. Most of the monkeys are either given to the Mozambican cane cutters who eat them, or left in the thick Lantana or Cremolina where they fall. The spotted hyena, bushpigs and other small predators and scavengers clean them up.

596.JPG

595.JPG

The closest thing i have to a 222 is this old Sako L461 with stutzen stock that was originally chambered in 222 Rem; but at some point was rechambered to 223 Rem by a previous owner. It is one sweet shooter for sure; 1/2 MOA most of the time, as long as I do my part.

20200423_124424.jpg

Lovely little muntjac deer caliber. I used a beautiful Parker Hale Safari in .222 Remington for Muntjac stalking in Great Britain.

What bullets and weights are you all using?
Anyone used TSX or Oryx? I have two thoughts for a standard setup.
I had a Sako Vixen in Africa that shot well with V-Max and Prvi SP. Now I need something else for a Winchester I am waiting for.

What bullets and weights are you all using?
Anyone used TSX or Oryx? I have two thoughts for a standard setup.
I had a Sako Vixen in Africa that shot well with V-Max and Prvi SP. Now I need something else for a Winchester I am waiting for.

In the Sako with 1:14” twist 50-55gr V-max, 52gr Berger fb varmint, or Barnes TSX 45-50gr. The 53 and 55gr TSX doesn’t stabilise.

Great cartridge, I never owned one ( yet) but an old timer on a neighboring farm hunted woodchucks with one and he let me shoot a snapping turtle in his pond with it when I was probably 12 or so. Hit that turtle in the head first shot.

Hi I just picked up a Sako Riihimaki 222 magnum. Unfortunately the previous owner had set the barrel back and rechambered it to .223
It has the heavy Bofors barrel. I took it out and shot it with some cheap Federal bulk ammo I had laying around. and it shot very well.
I don't really know anything about these rifles
But it is a very nice looking rifle shoots great.
And came with a old Weaver K8-60B
I think I will be having a lot of fun with this rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia