Looking For 243 For Kid's Hunting Rifle

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Gents,

Looking for something in .243 to be a kid's first hunting rifle. Only interested in walnut/blued. (They're going to get traditional and they're going to like it!) Not looking for a bank buster, but also not looking for something beat to hell. If you have something that seems to fit the bill, please just shoot me a PM. Not required, but if it could go C&R, that would be a bonus.

Thanks y'all.

Look at the Henry single shot. They are beautiful, tight, and shoot great. I sneak it to the woods on occasion.

Gents,

Looking for something in .243 to be a kid's first hunting rifle. Only interested in walnut/blued. (They're going to get traditional and they're going to like it!) Not looking for a bank buster, but also not looking for something beat to hell. If you have something that seems to fit the bill, please just shoot me a PM. Not required, but if it could go C&R, that would be a bonus.

Thanks y'all.
Great caliber and not only for kids & women - plenty for deer and I’ve taken 2 bear with .243 although it’s not my 1st choice for bear. I started my Son with a .308 and also look into .260 rem - both light recoil and good deer cartaige. I like the Winchester model 70 featherweight and Browning ABolt — and Xbolt. The Browning has a faster operating bolt action due to a short rotation on the bolt and very easy to operate....but the are many good rifles out the in that caliber. Good luck - and YES “traditional” is something worth teaching: Wood stock, blued barrel, NO plastic

Browning X-bolt micro-Midas is a great first gun. Don’t overlook the 7mm-08. Micro-Midas in background. :-).

E79AA91C-29EF-48D9-850C-BA93BAA5D681.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,

Thanks y'all.

I bought a pre-64 Winchester featherweight. They are less valuable than the standard option, and the most common of calibers was .243.

I think I paid $1400 for a mint condition 1956 model. I chopped the stock up and ruined all collector value, reshaping it as a world class youth rifle for kids. I realize that’s all heresy to Winchester collectors, but name a higher quality gun for $1400.

As usual, it was sub-MOA with modern ammo just like every other pre-64 in good condition I’ve ever handled.

If it were two years from now, I’d be willing to sell ours but we need it just a touch longer until my youngest is ready to shoot his 30-06 confidently.

I also decided a couple of years ago that the "grandkids" needed a .243 to shoot with . I managed to find a beautiful old Sako that easily shoots half MOA . I really enjoying shooting it , obviously I need to test it out to make sure it is reliable and accurate before the grandkids are able to shoot it , considering that their ages are 6 , 4 and 1 . I am just being proactive .

Gents,

Thanks y'all.
I think you are doing the correct thing , the caliber is great and sticking to traditional wood and blueing will hopefully make them appreciate the simple beauty of wood and blued steel . Let us know what you eventually get them .

Not sure what your definition of bank buster is, but I'd check out the Henry long ranger .243 if it's in your budget. I have one in 223 and it's very lightweight and accurate with beautiful wood and a classic feel. In local forums though it seems like there are plenty of folks looking to trade off .243's so you shouldn't have to look long.

Do they still do a Weatherby Vangaurd youth model?

My wife has the GH2 (girls hunt 2) it's a Bell and Carson composite stock in Blued but it has a short length of pull.

I’ve got a .243 I could part with but it may not be what you’re looking for. M70 Super Grade (CRF), Leupold VX6 2-12x (fire dot), dies, brass, bullets. I don’t see myself using it now that I have a custom 6.5 PRC.

While my first fee rifle was a .243 and I still have and hunt with one a lot when it was time to get my son his first deer rifle we bought a Howa mini action ( barreled action only no stock) and put it in a walnut youth stock from Boyd’s. We caught the barreled action on sale and I have less than 600 in the entire set up.

He has killed a number of deer with that 6.5

I've got a limited edition Ruger model 77 Hawkeye with engraving that I would sell. New in the box. I'd have to research a value. If interested I'll dig it out and get pics.

Gents,

Thanks y'all.
I started my children on a youth model Remington in 243 that was ideal even though I am not a Remington fan

My kids started with a post-64 featherweight 257 that I put a basic stock on , cut to youth length. They grew up and daughter still hunts that rifle, now with the original stock.

My kids started with a post-64 featherweight 257 that I put a basic stock on , cut to youth length. They grew up and daughter still hunts that rifle, now with the original stock.
I’ve guided a lot of first time youth hunters and as others have said I would urge you to not overlook the .257Rob & 7mm-08

I’ve guided a lot of first time youth hunters and as others have said I would urge you to not overlook the .257Rob & 7mm-08
I second this motion.

Any reason other than maybe nostalgia for 243 Win? First rifle I bought my daughter was a 7mm-08, she's about 5'6" and 125#. She could shoot the 139 gr Hornady White Tail all day long and never complain of recoil. 7mm-08 will push 140 gr bullets to around the same velocity as 100 gr in 243, 2900-ish fps.

Tikka makes their model T3X in both calibers, with wooden stock, under $1K. I have one in 6.5x55, wouldn't trade it for the world. It's definitely wood you wouldn't mind cutting down. Not bad, but it's not like it's got Citori Grade VI wood.

Given similar ballistic coefficients and similar velocity, a 7mm-08 140 gr will shoot every bit as flat as a 100 gr 243.

I'm sure @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will be along shortly to chime in. ;)

Last edited:
Gents,

Thanks y'all.
Great Choice. I still hunt with one…

IMG_4441.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
I bought a pre-64 Winchester featherweight. They are less valuable than the standard option, and the most common of calibers was .243.

I think I paid $1400 for a mint condition 1956 model. I chopped the stock up and ruined all collector value, reshaping it as a world class youth rifle for kids. I realize that’s all heresy to Winchester collectors, but name a higher quality gun for $1400.

As usual, it was sub-MOA with modern ammo just like every other pre-64 in good condition I’ve ever handled.

If it were two years from now, I’d be willing to sell ours but we need it just a touch longer until my youngest is ready to shoot his 30-06 confidently.
MIGHT BETTER SAVE IT FOR THE NEXT GENERATION..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksportsmkcom

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]