Looking For 243 For Kid's Hunting Rifle

I hear you about wanting something classy for the kids first rifle. I had a beautiful youth Model 7 in 7mm 08. Beautiful gun, but it kicks like a mule.

My kids have a Ruger American with a god awful plastic stock. But, it was suppressor ready. Suppressors have been a game changer for my girls. The recoil and noise reduction have really enabled them to enjoy shooting center fire rifles. It’s not traditional, but it’s effective.

Tikka T3
Sauer 404
Sako 90
Savage 334

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.35 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.35 AM Large.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.36 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.36 AM Large.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.47 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.47 AM Large.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.58 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.58 AM Large.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.48.59 AM Large.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.02 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.02 AM Large.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.10 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.10 AM Large.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.11 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.11 AM Large.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.12 AM Large.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 7.49.12 AM Large.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 27
Gents,

I agree that the 6.5 and 708 are great cartridges for kiddos (and grownups). I would say the same about the 257 Roberts, 25-06, or 6.5x55. I've actually got a Swede stashed away for them but because the Husky 1640 stocks are so hard to come by, that one isn't getting cut down to 12 or 12.5". The main reasons I'm looking at 243 instead of 708 and 257 are: 1) factory ammo is just easier; and, 2) I've got another 243 and like the idea of hunting together with the same cartridge.

Thanks y'all.

Good luck with the 243 it IMO is an excellent choice.
I think the .243 is a great choice too and is fairly popular in Australia with many.

The 6.5cm is widely available now and probably taking a market share where the .243 was filling the need.

I bought my oldest son a Tikka rifle and put a youth stock on it, that I traded the adult stock for. I also have another youth stock I picked up on another forum for my youngest son. It may be something to consider is buying the nice adult blue/walnut stock. If you want a synthetic youth stock contact me, I can sell it really cheap

Yea, the 6.5 is probably infringing on the 243, but I think it's really doing the most damage to the 708. For a really little kid, the difference in recoil between a 243 at 85-95 grains and a 6.5 at 130 or 140 is still significant. Once they're big enough to handle full-size rifles and more powerful cartridges, they'll have options haha.

I second this motion.

Any reason other than maybe nostalgia for 243 Win? First rifle I bought my daughter was a 7mm-08, she's about 5'6" and 125#. She could shoot the 139 gr Hornady White Tail all day long and never complain of recoil. 7mm-08 will push 140 gr bullets to around the same velocity as 100 gr in 243, 2900-ish fps.

Tikka makes their model T3X in both calibers, with wooden stock, under $1K. I have one in 6.5x55, wouldn't trade it for the world. It's definitely wood you wouldn't mind cutting down. Not bad, but it's not like it's got Citori Grade VI wood.

Given similar ballistic coefficients and similar velocity, a 7mm-08 140 gr will shoot every bit as flat as a 100 gr 243.

I'm sure @Bob Nelson 35Whelen will be along shortly to chime in. ;)
And my grandson shot a 7X30 Waters for many years out of a Contender Carbine...... another really good 7mm starter gun.

I have decided that some of the members on this forum are "terrible" people . The original poster asked for very specific help at the beginning of this thread , but instead of getting what he asked for he has received a lot of suggestions and advice that he did not request . Some of the advice is really good based on sound reasoning , other advice based mainly on emotions and personal preferences . By the time everybody is finished giving their input either the original poster is going to be totally indecisive or he will have been influenced to acquiring additional rifles in other calibers , obviously based on what he perceives to be very valid reasons based on everybody's advice . This pattern of psychological indoctrination and coercion is common to this forum and often leads to sleepless nights , spending many ours googling firearms and calibers , long discussions with likeminded friends , visits to gun shops , and eventually a bigger portion of ones bank account being converted into items that one originally had no intention of having . I myself have fallen victim to this most devious behaviour , but strangely the result normally causes happiness and many hours of fun . What a problem to have ! Also don't try blame the enablers on this forum when trying to explain to your wife , it wont work .

The key preferences the OP stated (which he stated in American Firearm Acronyms):

1.) Kid gun
2.) Walnut and Blued
3.) Curio & Relic ideally (C&R)

So far, I think I was the only person to post an option for a C&R compliant youth gun.

A pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .243.

1.) Kid Gun - Check
2.) Walnut and Blued - Check
3.) Curio & Relic - Check

Bonus includes: Most affordable pre-64 that exists. Super accurate. Appreciating asset. Not junk. Control Round Feed.

**Curio & Relic Definition: A firearm made greater than 50 years ago that is not a sporterized military gun.

The key preferences the OP stated (which he stated in American Firearm Acronyms):

1.) Kid gun
2.) Walnut and Blued

So far, I think I was the only person to post an option for a C&R compliant youth gun.

A pre-64 Winchester Model 70

1.) Kid Gun - Check

Bonus includes: Most affordable pre-64 that exists. Super accurate. Appreciating asset. Not junk. .

Control Round Feed

Control Round Feed

Control Round Feed

**Curio & Relic Definition: A firearm made greater than 50 years ago that is not a sporterized military gun.

I see, controlled round feed has come into it again.

I think the .243 is a great choice too and is fairly popular in Australia with many.

The 6.5cm is widely available now and probably taking a market share where the .243 was filling the need.

I like the .243 too.
Was out on a Fallow hunting trip last year (same place we went) and saw my mate drop 2 Fallow with one shot using one.
And that was with plain-Jane factory gain 100gn soft-points - not Barnes or anything fancy.
Both dropped on the spot - just as quick as the Fallow l shot with my .338...
With a well placed shot l would feel confident using the .243 on deer, no problem.

Russ

Gee Bob 35 W must be on holidays he has not blown a gasket yet with all this 243 talk .
I am going on a hunting trip next week with my Son & grandson, who is 13 years old his father has a Win 70 Featherweight 243 & i a Weatherby Vanguard 243 we will take along for the young man to shoot. A wood stock Howa 1500 243 would be a good rifle for your young boy to get started with.

Hey Russ, all I'm hearing is there are more Deer there, hmm.

No minimum calibre requirements for Fallow that I'm aware of but from memory NSW DPI suggest .243 as a minimum for pest management etc as a guide to government agencies etc for their pest plans.

@rdog , Bob may well blow a boiler when he catches up. I'm keen to photograph him with my wife's Weatherby Vanguard GH2 because it has Purple accents on the stock and it's in .243.

The best we can hope for is he will be fine with the Howa & Weatherby Vanguard suggestions because Howa have proven themselves in Australia many times over.

1.) Kid gun
2.) Walnut and Blued

A pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .243.

1.) Kid Gun - Check

Bonus includes: Most affordable pre-64 that exists. Super accurate. Appreciating asset. Not junk. Control Round Feed.

I don’t know, I actually offered up a rifle, and a nice one at that. Now whether that meets the criteria, only the OP can decide.

Mossberg Patriot Youth, Comes with spacers for the stock as they grow (or if more than one person is using it (NOT at the same time, of course), Great guns, great value

I got a patriot for my kids too, there was a 243 and a 7mm08 on the shelf at the time and the action felt kinda shitty on the 7mm so I got the 243. The action is pretty slick on that one and it shoots good.

Went the same route.. but mine pre-dates the patriot.. I got mine a mossberg ATR Bantam in 243

Doesn’t meet the OP requirements in any way… but was great for us… affordable with lots of features (fluted barrel, adjustable trigger, etc)… accurate, light weight, short LOP, in a caliber my kids could handle when they were 7 years old, etc etc…

Knowing it would likely only last 1-2 seasons per kid before they’d step into something else, I didn’t want to put a lot of money into it.. I just wanted something I could teach them the fundamentals on and take them hunting with, then pass it down to the next kid…

They’ve all graduated to 308’s and 30-06’s now.. but the little mossberg remains in the safe… it’s been an outstanding training tool and “first” rifle for every kid (and a couple of small statures ladies) I’ve used it with…

It would probably help to get a better idea of what budget range @clockwork_7mm_gator has in mind. That notwithstanding, I can think of a handful of rifles that would meet the ideal criteria:

1. Pre-64 Model 70 as @rookhawk suggested
2. Pre-Garcia Sako L461 or L579
3. Browning Safari Grade with the 22" pencil barrel and Browning-specific Sake L579 action.
4. FN Sporter (e.g. the Model 57)

...but I don't want to suggest ~$1,500 rifles if they are a bank buster.

Gents,

I don't mind all the semi-related talk about other rifles... I have the same disease as the rest of you! For this one, though, I am trying to stay within my specific parameters. I want the first to be a bolt action to start that training early... find target in scope, fire, work bolt, re-acquire, etc.

A pre-64 Winchester in 243 would be great... but is likely beyond what I'm hoping to spend on what's going to be used and abused by 3 kids in succession. In the past, I've had good luck with Winchester 670s, Zastava M70s, Husky 1640s, in above average shape, walnut, etc., in the $500-600 range. (I do all of the cleaning, bluing, bedding, stock work, re-crowning if necessary myself.) They've got significantly nicer/more expensive options waiting for them in the safe... this one is just to get started.

I guess what I'm trying to determine now is if the days of pretty nice commercial 98s are over. (I'm not wedded to a 98... if someone had a Savage 10 or Howa 1500 that met the criteria I'd be just as interested.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregoryBud

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?