Long Range - My Take

I genuinely love target shooting long range, and genuinely suck at it compared to my buddies I shoot with. I have a pretty humble rule with a 400 yard max if I'm comfortable. No ridiculous wind etc etc. I've witnessed firsthand how horrible things go wrong at extended range.

400 is my hunting max…. Any further than that I’ve either got to find a way to get closer.. or I’ve got to pass… and that’s only if I’ve got one of my rifles capable of making the shot…

I’d prefer less than 300…

Truth be told I’ve only made 1 shot longer than 300 on game… a black wildebeest that was about 330… and only a handful of shots north of 200 (maybe a dozen or so game animals tops…)… everything else has been closer..

All that said, I used to be very into long range shooting… I sought out a lot of training back in the day… and put countless hours behind my “precision” guns… while I have no desire to engage an animal at 600 or 1000, etc… training at those sort of distances certainly made me a far better shooter at the ranges I do limit myself in hunting… mastering the fundamentals it takes to connect with a target at say 700 makes connecting on a deer at 200 a walk in the park…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImNumberOne

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]