Long Range - My Take

I guess I’m lucky to have an uncle who was really into hunting and shooting, training for the hunt @ distance up to 800-1000 ,
He would collect milk , juice, water bottles and secretly go out to the ranch and set up a hunting shooting course, shots could be 100 yards or 600 , no bench shooting, only rocks, trees, stumps as rest , only using the same equipment you hunted with ,
It was like a split between golf and sporting clays and it’s great fun having to figure distance, wind , ect in a mock hunting game

I really like this answer. There's a lot of wisdom here. I'm not a fortune teller and flight time can be a make or break
At 30-06 velocities, 400 yards is about half a second of flight time for a 180gr.

@NIGHTHAWK , Training is always a good idea, long range, sure, if you have the opportunity.

Where I live, civilians will have access to no more than a 200 meters range. If you have access to a military facility, then 300 meters is normal.

Long range facilities where snipers train are rare and very difficult to access for a civilian.

So for hunting purposes I sight my rifles with a 100m zero and secondary 200m zero, and try to shoot within these limits, although my last roe deer was taken at 247m.

I Africa, most of what I´ve shot has been within 100m, but if someone is plannig to shoot an Ibex or Marco Polo in Eastern Asia, then they need the equipment and training for the really long shots !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNBChassid

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]