Lockable ammo container

Once again, in 7 trips, this has never been required. Soft ammo/range bag inside luggage containing hard ammo boxes. No problemo.

A lot will depend on where your final destination is. If you just fly into one location such as Joberg and have your outfitter pick you up then there would be no problem, however if you fly within South Africa it may be or other countries.

A lot will depend on where your final destination is. If you just fly into one location such as Joberg and have your outfitter pick you up then there would be no problem, however if you fly within South Africa it may be or other countries.
i would never fly after Joburg. Just enjoy the country and see it as opposed to flying over it. I crack up when PHs don't want to pick people up there-it's not that far of a drive to anywhere in the RSC! Don't be controlled by others' greed or laziness.

i would never fly after Joburg. Just enjoy the country and see it as opposed to flying over it. I crack up when PHs don't want to pick people up there-it's not that far of a drive to anywhere in the RSC! Don't be controlled by others' greed or laziness.
flights from Tambo to Windhoek, Rundu, Harare, Vic Falls-NEVER an issue. As you say, driving from Tambo (to within RSA or Zim-NEVER an issue.)

**I'm selling the new fool's gold-plated, additionally checked ammunition box locks specified by the International Safari Transportation Association, Ltd/LLC/Gmbh of the Milky Way Galaxy! AHF Special: 100 of any First World Country currency for 1 lock. 2nd lock on 250 ea. (Pricing is double for 6.5 Needmore) PM me for details. You NEED this specific lock. I read it on the internet....

It takes between 18-24 hrs to get to your destination in Zim (even if it's 16 to Joburg and 5 hrs driving to Messina/Beitbridge-my preferred adventure). If it's 2-3x that amount, you're a special sort of traveler! You can get to argali hunting in Mongolia quicker than mentioned above, including 24 hrs of driving...

Fastest flight from my region of the world is 13:25 to Dubai. 14:05 layover. 9:45 to Harare. Then overland 6:00-8:00 hours in country, plus stops for petrol/diesel, etc. More time, less risk, less permit fees.

Alternatives to that are highly unpleasant. Options include similar flights to Jo’Burg, SAPS permits, then hitching a ride on SAA Airlink where the guns don’t always arrive on same flight depending on occupancy, losing a day. Plus in many cases it would force an overnight at Afton house.

More unpleasant alternatives would be prior-day flights to ATL-DUL-JFK, the latter which would be a felony with guns unless you stay in the sanitary side of the airport, then fly more carriers to Jo’Burg, more carriers to rest of Africa.

I’d rather suffer longer on certain plane routes to de-risk than to do alternatives. It also saves a variety of fees that allow me to hunt more, the savings include: 1.) No Afton overnight, 2.) No SAPS fees, 3.) No riflepermits.com meet and greet, 4.) No travel agent surcharge, 5.) Avoiding several hundred dollars in travel agent up charge Versus buying tickets direct with the carrier. 6.) Avoiding use of secondary airlines in africa.

what about JFK to Joburg 15 hrs, then drive or another flight? Yeah don't get me started on the "overnight" $ugge$tion$. LOL I want to hunt out in the bush asap and absolutely do not wish to be checking guns/ammo 6x. I carefully review all options to minimize layovers, even if it (occasionally) costs more. My time/life/guns are worth more than a few more bucks and if you don't get stuck at the local "hostel," it pretty much pays for itself. The less connecting flights, the greater the chance you'll see your rifles again, and when you do they'll not be late for the safari! (Newark NJ has a direct flight 14.5 hrs for $860.) Spend the other 40ish hrs hunting the week (or an extra 5 days!)

You do not need riflepermits.com Fill the 520 out, hand over, say hello and off you go! The college gals they employ are cute, but highly unnecessary. Just like many other things along the way...

Fastest flight from my region of the world is 13:25 to Dubai. 14:05 layover. 9:45 to Harare. Then overland 6:00-8:00 hours in country, plus stops for petrol/diesel, etc. More time, less risk, less permit fees.

Alternatives to that are highly unpleasant. Options include similar flights to Jo’Burg, SAPS permits, then hitching a ride on SAA Airlink where the guns don’t always arrive on same flight depending on occupancy, losing a day. Plus in many cases it would force an overnight at Afton house.

More unpleasant alternatives would be prior-day flights to ATL-DUL-JFK, the latter which would be a felony with guns unless you stay in the sanitary side of the airport, then fly more carriers to Jo’Burg, more carriers to rest of Africa.

I’d rather suffer longer on certain plane routes to de-risk than to do alternatives. It also saves a variety of fees that allow me to hunt more, the savings include: 1.) No Afton overnight, 2.) No SAPS fees, 3.) No riflepermits.com meet and greet, 4.) No travel agent surcharge, 5.) Avoiding several hundred dollars in travel agent up charge Versus buying tickets direct with the carrier. 6.) Avoiding use of secondary airlines in africa.

I agree with the above, though I must say you are more courageous than I am for traveling at night at roads in Zimbabwe where a single lane of highway is shared by traffic moving in both directions (For those curious the procedure is for both cars to partially move to the left shoulder to pass avoiding a head on collision, doesn't always work though)

I spend the night at Amanzi lodge and take a charter in the morning. LAX flight to Dubai is 15 hours for me though, you must catch your flight from somewhere in central time zone.

I don't mind paying Travel Agents due to the work they do with airline rifle permits etc., not to mention re-bookings and refunds, my time doing the same thing is worth more than what they charge.

what about JFK to Joburg 15 hrs, then drive or another flight? Yeah don't get me started on the "overnight" $ugge$tion$. LOL I want to hunt out in the bush asap and absolutely do not wish to be checking guns/ammo 6x. I carefully review all options to minimize layovers, even if it (occasionally) costs more. My time/life/guns are worth more than a few more bucks and if you don't get stuck at the local "hostel," it pretty much pays for itself. The less connecting flights, the greater the chance you'll see your rifles again, and when you do they'll not be late for the safari! (Newark NJ has a direct flight 14.5 hrs for $860.) Spend the other 40ish hrs hunting the week (or an extra 5 days!)

I’ve looked into similar options as you propose. They all fall apart under one unfortunate truth. No early AM red eye flights from Central Time Zone to Eastern Time Zone same-day that will make the transfers out of Newark/JFK/Atlanta/Dulles. So you’re dealing with an overnight in the US which is sort of worse than an overnight in Africa. And back to the start of this thread, yet more know-it-all rule interpreters from yet more airlines, plus TSA / airport interpretations to deal with before you go wheels up with your ammo containers and rifles.

Smoothest approach I’ve found is ammo in the boxes discussed, rifles separate, rest of things carry on, fly on one carrier (emirates/ethipia/etihad), do your own single rifle permit direct with the airline, get to country of safari with as few hops as possible. Long in-country roadtrips are much preferred when you know all your stuff is in the cruiser you’re riding in.

I traveled in August of 2021. (ATL - Newark - JNB - TET and back the same way)

The cheapest, lockable metal cash box, with an "el cheapo", built-in, keyed lock was perfectly fine for going to South Africa from the USA via United. It was fine being packed in the gun case or, in my case, being inside another checked bag.

When I got to South Africa, it had to come out of the checked baggage and be treated as a separate piece of checked luggage for the trip from to Mozambique.
I didn't know this ahead of time, so it caused a bit of delay because the baggage handlers had to "fish it out" of my checked luggage that had been checked directly through to Mozambique. I didn't have to pay anything extra for this 4th piece of checked baggage

It made absolutely no difference if it had a TSA lock or another type of lock. Mine just had the most rudimentary lock you could imagine (it could have been opened with a paper clip) - nobody cared.

I carried 4 boxes of factory ammo. If I had only 2 boxes of 375 H&H, I would have had plenty of room for slings, gun cleaning items, whatever - it really didn't matter.

Great link, great deal @sureshot375 . The ammo box I’ve used for all my safaris is the pelican 1400. Harbor Freight has a direct knock-off of that size for a bit more, still only $28. The interior dimensions of about 12x9x5 is enough to carry the max 11lbs of ammo regardless of caliber combos. Just packed it tonight with 50 rounds (5 ten round boxes) of 470NE and 50 rounds (2 cube shaped 20 round boxes and 2 small 5 round boxes) of 375HH. Total weight a few grams under total limit. I’ve also managed to squeeze the ammo in it for a 3-gun safari before too.

It would be overkill if the reader is a one-gun safari hunter that only brings 40-60 rounds, 2-3 boxes, of a small bore ammo.

This is the one I purchased last week. Seems well built. Their Apache 1800 is too small. I bought a tan one, but I’m going to exchange it for an orange one.

Seeing as the flight miles from Joberg to Port Elizabeth is close to 600 miles which is my final destination for my hunt I think that I'll fly instead of having the outfitter pick me up for a very long drive.

All of the above, is fine and dandy. However what counts, is what the airline requires.
So first check with the airline as to what they require.

I’ve seen enough in my ten trips to Africa that I take the following approach: never, ever, ever change carriers. This is a painful personal policy, it means over land 8-12 hour truck rides. It means going around the world the wrong way. (E.g 49 hours to Zimbabwe) The positive is, if you clear TSA and you clear your airline and watch it get on the plane, it’s probably going to arrive. It’s changing carriers or changing planes or changing foreign to domestic routes that invite people to make decisions without you present to discuss or debate the misinterpretation.

As to bribes, I don’t recommend bribing any foreigner. You know what bribes are kosher and not kosher in your land. Twenty years ago, donating to the police fraternity would get you out of a ticket without it looking too sketchy. Bribing a building inspector or a tax agent will potentially go very very wrong. No one knows these nuances in a foreign land. If your PH says “thank you” and hands a $10-20 unwarranted gratuity, he knows the nuance of the moment. Foreigners start throwing around Benjamin’s and you could end up in a foreign prison if you guess wrong, what’s better for the crook, $100, or a major bust getting them a promotion? F around and find out.

lastly, bribes are just stupid. Paying someone off, a crime, when you’ve committed no crime, just makes you a criminal. It also sets a custom they expect in the future from everyone more often. Let locals in your employ decide when a can of soda, or a gift is appropriate.
I don't agree with paying bribes either.

The law in many countries, does, however, distinguish between "bribes" and "facilitating payments" (the law in Canada and the US did at one time as well). The former is paying an official money to do something that is not legal. For example, letting me leave the country without the proper firearms export permits (in Canada) or bringing a firearm into a country without a valid permit. A facilitating payment is paying someone to do something they are legally required to do, or which is not otherwise against the law (that is, to get something done a bit faster than the person might otherwise be inclined to do, for example).

I would not think of paying a bribe in situations where I have seen many Africans hand over money - such as when they are caught speeding, but many are more than happy to do that. On the other hand, I have helped certain officials understand that my firearms permit from their embassy in North America is indeed a valid firearms permit (which it is), when they are suggesting that it is not. Or - and this is actually quite common - when they have transcribed a serial number incorrectly on a permit (usually one digit), and then tell you that the problem can't be fixed. Yes, it can be fixed, if the person wants to fix it, because they have the legal authority to fix it.

The example I gave in my post about the ammo in a locked container is apropos. This is an airline rule, not a legal requirement. The official is not even a public official, but an agent of the airline. No laws were broken when I thanked someone for acting reasonably and allowing my ammo on an airplane in accordance with IATA rules.

Flexibility, within reason, is helpful when travelling.

+1 on the less permanent option.

I have our last name hand written with a Sharpie on our Pelican cases because I like something easier to remove than engraving in the event I want to sell it later. Black cases have names written in silver Sharpie and it can be taken off with a little Simple Green & elbow grease.

Adding the phone number is a good idea. Might be doing that next time.
Lighter fluid removes Sharpie well too.

Just want to relate a few experiences I’ve had.
Headed to Zim in ‘13. I stayed at Africa Sky in Johannesburg. Their meet and great was great and helped me get thru SAPS, The following AM when they dropped us of at the airport. When I checked my guns in, the woman behind the counter flat out asked for $$. Another $20. Upon arrival in Zim the terminal was shut down and they were using a hanger as customs. We had to wait outside the hanger. A gentleman in a suit walks up to me and calls me by name. “Come with me please.” How he knew who I was, I have no idea. He took me t9 the head of the line for checking in. I thanked him and gave him $20. He then led me and my wife over to get our visas.
Then he summoned a customs officer to check our luggage. He matched the serial number on my rifles to the permits and counted every round and checked a couple of head stamps.
On the return trip, I had given my extra .375 ammo. The agent asked where the balance of the ammo was. I told her I shot it up. She questioned that but ultimately stamped my paperwork.
In ‘18 when leaving Namibia, they required I remove the locked ammo box from my duffle and check it as an extra piece. No charge for it. I was using an MTM box that wasn’t the best, but it showed up in Atlanta. I stuck it back in my duffle for the flight home.

Out of curiosity I stopped at Harbor Freight yesterday and checked out the Pelican knock-offs. They are cheap but sturdy. I bought an 1800 series that is an excellent fit for 4 boxes .404 and 4 boxes .375 - but that's over the 11 lb. limit. I also bought a couple larger cases (# 2800 - orange and tan) that are same size as the Pelican 1400. I discovered that the small 1800 case fits neatly inside the 2800 with room for cleaning kit, knives, slings, etc. The small case - $12.97, the larger cases- $29.99.

Out of curiosity I stopped at Harbor Freight yesterday and checked out the Pelican knock-offs. They are cheap but sturdy. I bought an 1800 series that is an excellent fit for 4 boxes .404 and 4 boxes .375 - but that's over the 11 lb. limit. I also bought a couple larger cases (# 2800 - orange and tan) that are same size as the Pelican 1400. I discovered that the small 1800 case fits neatly inside the 2800 with room for cleaning kit, knives, slings, etc. The small case - $12.97, the larger cases- $29.99.

For 13 bucks, I would just leave it with the PH and not even bother bringing it back home.

For 13 bucks, I would just leave it with the PH and not even bother bringing it back home.
I figured that I could recoup the cost of my safari by selling my .404 and .375 brass on GB. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fgrttuyty673

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]