Lockable ammo container

There are some good points here. I had a group in Namibia hunting a couple years ago. On departure from Windhoek I asked the ticket counter personnel if we could put our ammo in the suitcase as it was checking through to Delta and we would have no opportunity to get it in JNB and repack. They allowed me to go upstairs to the directors office and I sweet talked the lady into letting us do it! It is Africa and you never know, good or bad, what is going to happen.
Regards,
Philip
Good point Philip. Again, since Murphy might show up and the ammo case MIGHT end up as a separate piece of checked luggage all the way back to the US, I feel more comfortable having a Pelican or similar type case. The baggage handlers could throw a small box like that a LONG way into the cargo hold and/or "misplace" it. Probably wouldn't happen, but ..... ?

And that Benjamin needs to be as crisp as a new leaf of lettuce.
Actually this is very true. Only take the new $100 bills over seas. Some won't accept the old ones as they think it is counterfeit.

That is with the Emirates route with the long layover. We are taking Qatar DFW-DOH-HRE and only have a 4 hour layover in DOH.
I don’t doubt there are 49 hour travel options. I just don’t like Africa travel being turned into something that’s more difficult than it actually is, particularly South Africa. It seems to happen fast here unfortunately, especially regards to travel with firearms. I’ve been on 10 trips to Africa. I’ve never had a problem I wasn’t able to get sorted out, no bribes involved. Unfortunately, it’s some of the crazy “advice” that gets remembered when people plan their first trips.

I go a step further and put my cattle brand on all my Pelican cases with an electric brander. Mine won't get mixed up with the others. I realize that no one does this but hey I have to be different!

As much as I hate to copy someone else's idea on something like this, I am absolutely stealing this one.

Hi, I did not mean to ignore you...

As another stated, a local trophy shop. Actually, it is advertised as a laser engraving shop. They make a lot of neat personalized stuff.

The laser left an awful lot of fiberglass fuzz around every engraved letter. I scraped it off with a bit of work using a razor blade glass scraper. Then I used white Testor's model paint to fill in the letters.
I did the same thing to my Pelican rifle case.

If you can't find a laser engraver locally, send me a PM and I will send you the contract info for my local Michigan shop. They charged me less than a hundred dollar bill for two cases. One could purchase a case for delivery to any laser shop. Once engraved, the ship could ship it to the client.
I just went to the local sports shop that does trophy's etc. and had them engrave a 6x6 gold plate with name, phone number and city and state for 10.00 total and got some of those pound together rivet's to hold it to the gun case and now I think I will do the same to my Pelican ammo case

Jim
My rule on using your carry on for a day pack with ammo etc in it is as follows. Unpack and open up all zippers and shake the hell out of it. Double check it and triple check it and then have a buddy look through it. Getting to the airport with ammo in the carry on in Africa. No thank you!
Philip

As much as I hate to copy someone else's idea on something like this, I am absolutely stealing this one.
I don't have a branding iron, so I think I'll get some giant elk stickers from RMEF and put on the gun case and ammo box.

Seven pages and the second post answered the OP's question.

Seven pages and the second post answered the OP's question.
Isn't that typical of most questions?

They are usually answered in the first few replies and then there are 10 pages of opinions along with other questions and answers.

All this discussion reminded me to follow up on a ten year procrastination. My pelican is a model 1400. I remembered it had a dovetail slot in the front so you could remove it and slide in a nameplate instead. Ten years ago it was a mail-away endeavor so I never did it. It turns out for $17 on Amazon, I was able to get a bright red name plate made with white letters for my ammo carrier.

name
Phone
Email

If you have ammo containers that have this pre-made slot for a nameplate, getting one custom made is now cheap and a click away. Thanks for reminding me to get it done via this thread discussing it.

Harbor freight knock off pelican case for the win. It’s like 12 bucks, lightweight, and plenty sturdy enough to hold a couple boxes of ammo.

You’re welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.44.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.44.31 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.44.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.44.38 AM.png
    461.2 KB · Views: 39
Jim
My rule on using your carry on for a day pack with ammo etc in it is as follows. Unpack and open up all zippers and shake the hell out of it. Double check it and triple check it and then have a buddy look through it. ...
I go a step further. I have bags I use for range and bags I use for carry on. I never use my carry on bags to transport firearms or ammo.

Harbor freight knock off pelican case for the win. It’s like 12 bucks, lightweight, and plenty sturdy enough to hold a couple boxes of ammo.

You’re welcome.

Great link, great deal @sureshot375 . The ammo box I’ve used for all my safaris is the pelican 1400. Harbor Freight has a direct knock-off of that size for a bit more, still only $28. The interior dimensions of about 12x9x5 is enough to carry the max 11lbs of ammo regardless of caliber combos. Just packed it tonight with 50 rounds (5 ten round boxes) of 470NE and 50 rounds (2 cube shaped 20 round boxes and 2 small 5 round boxes) of 375HH. Total weight a few grams under total limit. I’ve also managed to squeeze the ammo in it for a 3-gun safari before too.

It would be overkill if the reader is a one-gun safari hunter that only brings 40-60 rounds, 2-3 boxes, of a small bore ammo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.45.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.45.32 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.45.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 9.45.38 AM.png
    701.8 KB · Views: 48
One thing. I dug out the firearms regulations from Emirates. They actually require the ammo box to be INSIDE your suitcase not checked-in separately. I let Travel Express take care of the permits etc.. Of course, then you have TSA rules which eliminates packing the firearm inside the suitcase.

1644813574607.png

One thing. I dug out the firearms regulations from Emirates. They actually require the ammo box to be INSIDE your suitcase not checked-in separately. I let Travel Express take care of the permits etc.. Of course, then you have TSA rules which eliminates packing the firearm inside the suitcase.

View attachment 452594
was the purpose of this post to sell locking ammo cases and up airline baggage fees??? lol

was the purpose of this post to sell locking ammo cases and up airline baggage fees??? lol
Once again, in 7 trips, this has never been required. Soft ammo/range bag inside luggage containing hard ammo boxes. No problemo.

It takes between 18-24 hrs to get to your destination in Zim (even if it's 16 to Joburg and 5 hrs driving to Messina/Beitbridge-my preferred adventure). If it's 2-3x that amount, you're a special sort of traveler! You can get to argali hunting in Mongolia quicker than mentioned above, including 24 hrs of driving...

Misinformation is the reason we have the present administration we do in America.

"49 hours to Zimbabwe"? Say it ain't so! Is that by jet aircraft or a commuter prop plane? LOL
what happens when you check Longest/Cheapest flight in Expedia or very low Travelocity :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChuWnz1204

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]