Lockable ammo container

Pole Pole

AH veteran
Reaction score
I am searching for a small lockable container that meets air travel rules. I have been using a old camera case but it is big and bulky. Something that would hold two boxes of 375. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, JP

I agree with BaxterB on the Pelican.

I recommend a larger pelican, the 1450. The reason being that you are allowed 11lbs of ammo on an airplane, max. In most countries, there is such a disasterous supply chain that you will be bringing ammo into the country for your use and using it all up there. Wink. Wink. Always 11lbs.

Add to that, it counts as your 2nd checked bag. If its too small, it gets lost as a checked bag. You put your ammo in it and you can also put culling belts, ammo pouches, your knife, and maybe your sling in there.

A pelican 1450 can hold about 3 boxes of 375HH and about 3 boxes of a largebore. Mine has made it over and back almost ten times now.

Apparently, incorrectly, I was under the impression that ammo containers had to travel inside of other luggage. Anyway, that is what I would prefer to do so still looking for a small container. The 1200 is about the size I have now. Thanks

Good day sir. I've used a small pelican on occasion but do check the regs for the country you're going to or transiting through. I believe South Africa requires a metal ammo box (lockable) and I've always packed mine in my checked bag. 5 kilos max weight. I've started using a metal ammo box sold by a major supplier here in the states. Jim specializes in supplying African hunters. Hope this has been of some help.

Another vote for the Pelican 1200. They seem to be the dominant case for African hunting trips.

Apparently, incorrectly, I was under the impression that ammo containers had to travel inside of other luggage. Anyway, that is what I would prefer to do so still looking for a small container. The 1200 is about the size I have now. Thanks

Your statement is a common one, but it is not correct. They have really cracked down on commingling of things. Tuffpacks that had rifles plus clothes as padding get seized now. Ammo inside your normal luggage also gets seized.

The letter of the law airline rules are as follows, subject to any whims or differences a particular airport, carrier, or TSA/CBP office wishes.

Your checked baggage is:

Bag 1 - Max of 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business/first) for your rifles. ONLY rifles may be in this bag, not socks, knives, etc. Just guns. The locks must be durable NON-TSA locks that only you possess the key for in your possession. EVERY SINGLE hole on the case that has a place for a lock must indeed possess a lock.

Bag 2 - Max of 11lbs of ammunition, maximum total weight 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business) of JUST YOUR AMMO. Which makes it a horrible deal because you are burning your entire checked baggage limit for ammunition. The ammo must be secured with TSA approved locks only. We bend the rules ever so slightly by putting our culling belts, ammo pouches, and our knives in the same pelican 1450 ammo container. *Reminder, always carry 2x the TSA required locks because they reserve the right to open the locks but they are slobs and they break the locks. Now that the locks are broken, they cannot permit the bag to fly. TWICE I've had to put new locks on after TSA animals destroyed the locks because they aren't intelligent enough to use their own master keys so they pry.

Your carry on baggage is:

Bag 3 - Maximum of 12lbs, maximum size of a carry-on bag. We break this rule every time but emirates has been great about our trespass over the past 8-9 safaris. We have an orvis duffle bag (gym bag size) that is canvas with a leather bottom and unstructured. I kid you not, we carry on 70-100lbs in this bag. It contains 50 lithium batteries because lithium can only be carry-on. It contains the binos, rangefinders, and rifle optics, all wrapped in Shemaghs for extra protection, then inserted into socks for even more padding. 2-3 shirts. 2-3 pants. 3 underwear. 1 spare hat. Sample size toiletries. And whatever 50lbs of stuff you're bringing over for the Africans.

Bag 4 - Your "Purse" or personal item. Has to be laptop bag / purse sized. It contains phones, chargers, ipad, flashliights, and the bungee cords that we use to lash Bag 2,3,4 on top of bag 1 to roll it all through the airport. Also contains your permits and papers which amount to at least 2lbs alone.

If you have a second hunter flying with you, thank god, because you're out of room with very little stuff if you're flying solo. BOTH your checked bags get occupied with guns and ammo respectively so you're literally wearing whatever you can carry on for the whole safari. With an extra person, you can put lots of clothing, larger toiletries, etc in the additional checked bags.

I’m a little confused. As I think I understand, what you currently have is about the size of the Pelican 1200, but you consider it bigger and bulkier than you want. So are you looking for something smaller to use as a checked bag for ammo? I think that would be inadvisable if so.

Your statement is a common one, but it is not correct. They have really cracked down on commingling of things. Tuffpacks that had rifles plus clothes as padding get seized now. Ammo inside your normal luggage also gets seized.

The letter of the law airline rules are as follows, subject to any whims or differences a particular airport, carrier, or TSA/CBP office wishes.

Your checked baggage is:

Bag 1 - Max of 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business/first) for your rifles. ONLY rifles may be in this bag, not socks, knives, etc. Just guns. The locks must be durable NON-TSA locks that only you possess the key for in your possession. EVERY SINGLE hole on the case that has a place for a lock must indeed possess a lock.

Bag 2 - Max of 11lbs of ammunition, maximum total weight 50lbs (coach) or 70lbs (business) of JUST YOUR AMMO. Which makes it a horrible deal because you are burning your entire checked baggage limit for ammunition. The ammo must be secured with TSA approved locks only. We bend the rules ever so slightly by putting our culling belts, ammo pouches, and our knives in the same pelican 1450 ammo container. *Reminder, always carry 2x the TSA required locks because they reserve the right to open the locks but they are slobs and they break the locks. Now that the locks are broken, they cannot permit the bag to fly. TWICE I've had to put new locks on after TSA animals destroyed the locks because they aren't intelligent enough to use their own master keys so they pry.

Bag 3 - Maximum of 12lbs, maximum size of a carry-on bag. We break this rule every time but emirates has been great about our trespass over the past 8-9 safaris. We have an orvis duffle bag (gym bag size) that is canvas with a leather bottom and unstructured. I kid you not, we carry on 70-100lbs in this bag. It contains 50 lithium batteries because lithium can only be carry-on. It contains the binos, rangefinders, and rifle optics, all wrapped in Shemaghs for extra protection, then inserted into socks for even more padding. 2-3 shirts. 2-3 pants. 3 underwear. 1 spare hat. Sample size toiletries. And whatever 50lbs of stuff you're bringing over for the Africans.

Bag 4 - Your "Purse" or personal item. Has to be laptop bag / purse sized. It contains phones, chargers, ipad, flashliights, and the bungee cords that we use to lash Bag 2,3,4 on top of bag 1 to roll it all through the airport. Also contains your permits and papers which amount to at least 2lbs alone.

If you have a second hunter flying with you, thank god, because you're out of room with very little stuff if you're flying solo. BOTH your checked bags get occupied with guns and ammo respectively so you're literally wearing whatever you can carry on for the whole safari. With an extra person, you can put lots of clothing, larger toiletries, etc in the additional checked bags.
Notwithstanding discrepancies in how TSA may operate, is the lockable case included in the 11 lb limit? I’ve been a bit confused by that and seen conflictong info. It seems contrary to include that, because that would obviously encourage or necessitate a small case to not use up all the weight in the case itself, but then a small case would make baggage handling burdensome and easy to lose track of something so much smaller than everything else around it.

No, the case and locks probably weigh more than 11bs empty. They weigh the ammo. Must be less than 11bs.

I recommend they very biggest ammo box you can get since you’re paying for it to ride solo and the smaller it is, the greater odds it’s overlooked. Baggage handlers aren’t used to seeing tiny bags

Your checked baggage is:

Wow. Now I am re-thinking my packing for my Tanzania trip in September. So You have TWO checked bags (gun case and ammo case) and TWO carry-on bags (one a standard carry-on and another 'briefcase sized' bag? And you basically stuff everything (except guns and ammo) into the 'carry-on bags'?

Wow. Now I am re-thinking my packing for my Tanzania trip in September. So You have TWO checked bags (gun case and ammo case) and TWO carry-on bags (one a standard carry-on and another 'briefcase sized' bag? And you basically stuff everything (except guns and ammo) into the 'carry-on bags'?

Yes. Because that’s the only way to get this done solo. Maybe on some airlines they have a bend over and here I come option for a third checked bag?

I am searching for a small lockable container that meets air travel rules. I have been using a old camera case but it is big and bulky. Something that would hold two boxes of 375. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, JP
a pelican 1150 works great

Your checked baggage is:

The TSA lock thing isnt true anymore, I have 100s of domestic flights with checking firearms and the non-TSA locks being require hasn't been in place for several years.

The TSA lock thing isnt true anymore, I have 100s of domestic flights with checking firearms and the non-TSA locks being require hasn't been in place for several years.
That may be, but the TSA locks aren’t any more secure than a twist tie. It would be naive to think that there are any baggage handlers or other behind-the-scenes airport personnel that don’t possess or have access to a TSA master key. If given the opportunity, I will use a real lock every time.

I just use a sentry cash box. It works perfect and is cheap. I tape spare key on outside of box and have never had an issue. The rule might be 5 kgs/11 lbs of ammo but if you can keep the box+ammo under 5 kgs you’ll never have an issue. The potential issue will be on Africa side depending who is at counter that day, especially if at a regional airport.

Last edited:
I use a quality plastic (impact resistant) lockable pistol case, lightweight, holds 2/boxes of rounds no problem, & packs easy.

Your checked baggage is:

I'm concerned about my upcoming trip and your comments re only rifles in tuffpak. Is this a written regulation or random decision by a TSA person or overseas offical? In the past I've always put lots of items, clothes etc in tough sack that goes inside the tuff pak. If a written reg can you direct me to the site. Thank you

Small metal tool box with hasp clamp and put a lock on it.

How big are the 375 boxes? If not over 8.25" long and about 4.25" wide, this should work for two boxes plus a little bit of padding. It's too short for my Federal 338 WM boxes that measure 8 9/16" long.

I could not post the link for some reason, but the product number below is MidwayUSA. Only suitable for carry inside your checked bag, IMO.

MTM Ammo Travel-Survivor Dry Box Polymer 10" x 7" x 5"​

• Product #: 693988
  • Manufacturer #: S1074-35
  • UPC #: 026057374352

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deaner20

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt