Lion hunting SA

I love that hat only problem with it is the 22 LR and not a center fire cartridge. I may or may not have learned an improperly hit cat with only a 22 can run a long ways and someone might not be happy about it. Only 223 and up now . . . If that incident occurred . . .
lol. i’d go with a 22mag. Kind of like a member of the tiny 10 of domestic predators

Having hunted a CBL in the Kalahari, and having been on two more hunts for them that same week with my hunting partner, I can say that it is a very exciting, fun hunt. These lions had been roaming the property for over a month. They were hunting their own game on the property, and were far from tame. We tracked them on foot, and it was honestly one of the best hunting experiences I've had so far. I've shot several buffalo, a Tuskless Elephant and many head of PG, and the lion hunt was right up there as far as the experience is concerned. We hunted on several thousand acres of land, and I didn't feel at all like I was shooting fish in a barrel. Your mileage may vary, but if done correctly, it's a fun hunt.
spot on by @TOBY458 if you have actually done this type of hunt then please share your thoughts. but if you have not then shut your mouth. getting pretty tired of lion snobs especially ones who have not taken one

spot on by @TOBY458 if you have actually done this type of hunt then please share your thoughts. but if you have not then shut your mouth. getting pretty tired of lion snobs especially ones who have not taken one
Your choice. But if you choose to post and brag about your canned hunt experience (that isn't sanctioned by RW, DSC, or SCI) on an open forum, please have enough intestinal fortitude to accept differing views.

i absolutely don’t mind criticism just don’t have much respect for opinions versus actual experience. it’s easy to speak from the cheap seats of no experience. if you have actual experience and differ from me you have my complete respect. that is what makes our forum great

i absolutely don’t mind criticism just don’t have much respect for opinions versus actual experience. it’s easy to speak from the cheap seats of no experience. if you have actual experience and differ from me you have my complete respect. that is what makes our forum great
I (and a bunch of other forum members) don't want the experience of a CBL hunt. Absolutely ZERO interest. If and when I shoot a lion (which is a high likelihood in the next few years) it will be wild. CBL is Pathetic.

Last edited:
Every major hunting organization aside from PHASA says this practice is damaging to the reputation of hunters and provides no conservation value, but I should shut my mouth and give full support to whoever participates? I think not.

Attachments

Can't get it to post from WhatsApp, but was a video of another outstanding lion "hunt" in SA.

The bottom line is.. it's not good for the sport . Do I think it should be illegal? No. But if you put yourself out there, be able to take the heat.

It affects all of us (for example .. being able to import lion and other trophies in the future). Should it? No . But that's the political landscape we all live in.

Last edited:
i have zero problem taking any heat whatsoever. so many more forum members privately PM me asking questions due to “the non CBL” hunters ridiculing them. i say again if you have done this hunt then i respect your different opinion but too many of you speak of that which you don’t know…bring the heat i have little respect for those type of non experience contributors only their opinion

Attachments

by the way don’t hide behind some organization…if you have no experience with this type hunt then don’t hide behind DSC or SCI both of which i have membership for over 20 years…i only trust my actual experience…no one else…me. if you have done this hunt and feel it was “canned” then i respect you even while i don’t agree with you

Nobody is saying it’s not exciting. It obviously is. It’s just that it’s unethical and antithetical to conservation.

The experience argument is also flawed.. Do you have to have experience with a put and take operation in order to condemn it?

Nobody is saying it’s not exciting. It obviously is. It’s just that it’s unethical and antithetical to conservation.

The experience argument is also flawed.. Do you have to have experience with a put and take operation in order to condemn it?
you know how much i respect you! you have earned it my friend. i will honor your point and let it rest due to my respect for you

I don’t know your experience level. Do you understand the costs you are looking at? A wild male lion all in would start at around $50k and the top hunts might push $100k all in. I thought this offer for a lioness was a great offer. Lioness (outside South Africa) aren’t widely available.
@375Fox i respect you greatly! our experience and opinions differ on this subject but i have nothing but the highest respect for you my friend!!!

by the way don’t hide behind some organization…if you have no experience with this type hunt then don’t hide behind DSC or SCI both of which i have membership for over 20 years…i only trust my actual experience…no one else…me. if you have done this hunt and feel it was “canned” then i respect you even while i don’t agree with you
I choose not to post hunt reports and photos for many reasons (like several well known members on this forum). Unfortunately, that's the world some of us have to live in (perhaps after I retire...) . But feel free to PM me.

@375Fox i respect you greatly! our experience and opinions differ on this subject but i have nothing but the highest respect for you my friend!!!
We can talk about this subject all you’d like at the DSC dinner in a few weeks! Look forward to meeting you there

I may need to attend so that I can be "unmasked". Lol

In all seriousness, I think this is the greatest hunting forum out there and while we can disagree, it's nothing personal. Sometimes a little liquid refreshment gets the passion going a little too strong, My apologies if anyone was offended.

I may need to attend so that I can be "unmasked". Lol

In all seriousness, I think this is the greatest hunting forum out there and while we can disagree, it's nothing personal. Sometimes a little liquid refreshment gets the passion going a little too strong, My apologies if anyone was offended.
Ditto my friend!!! too much bourbon tonight!!! looking so forward to seeing everyone. if you sit at my table i buy the first round!!!

Having hunted CBL I have enjoyed and it was a great experience both times plus one other time with a client when I was still filming hunts.

You quickly see and find out who takes short cuts but doing it with a Proper Outfit like @DE KLERK SAFARIS you will get a proper hunt like they use to do tracking lions in the Kalahari.

Each to his own but I would not mind doing it again for the experience.
I am lucky being a resident I have two skulls and two flatskins in my home.

Every major hunting organization aside from PHASA says this practice is damaging to the reputation of hunters and provides no conservation value,
Bad reputation of hunters, probably yes.
But on another side, a blue collar hunter has this options: no lion hunting at all, or affordable south lion African hunt. That is the reality due to prices formed in wild lion countries.

2nd-ly.
Conservation value is scrutinized, but maybe also not utilized or optimized, or assesed to full potential.
Practice shows there is a real conservation potential in this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vlonehoodie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with