Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, Poland, Zambia, Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Greenland, Spain
Hi guys,

Just a little bit of a rant here, but looking for thoughts on a recent experience I had with an outfitter that I hunted buffalo with in Tanzania a few years ago. I recently reached out to him asking his thoughts about a lion hunt and he said he had some in his concession in Tanzania. We chatted a bit on WhatsApp about it, and then he asked if I was going to the shows and I said I would probably go to SCI. He said well let's talk there. Make an appointment and see me at my booth. At that point in my mind I heard "get with my secretary and get on my calendar", and it turned me off completely to put it mildly. I realize it's hunting season and he was probably busy, but that came across like he wasn't taking me seriously. I only reached out to him because I hunted with his outfit before. Maybe I am taking that a bit hard, but to me if I am going to lay out the kind of cash for a true wild lion hunt, then I would expect better than that.

Thoughts?

Hi guys,

Just a little bit of a rant here, but looking for thoughts on a recent experience I had with an outfitter that I hunted buffalo with in Tanzania a few years ago. I recently reached out to him asking his thoughts about a lion hunt and he said he had some in his concession in Tanzania. We chatted a bit on WhatsApp about it, and then he asked if I was going to the shows and I said I would probably go to SCI. He said well let's talk there. Make an appointment and see me at my booth. At that point in my mind I heard "get with my secretary and get on my calendar", and it turned me off completely to put it mildly. I realize it's hunting season and he was probably busy, but that came across like he wasn't taking me seriously. I only reached out to him because I hunted with his outfit before. Maybe I am taking that a bit hard, but to me if I am going to lay out the kind of cash for a true wild lion hunt, then I would expect better than that.

Thoughts?
I’m not saying switch outfitters but you may reach out to @ActionBob, @Wheels and @Royal27 about the outfitter they hunted with in TZ and the cat situation there

I wouldn’t take it too personally. If you had a good hunt previously and he has a good reputation and a good area follow up at SCI like he asked. He might be sold out a long time in advance or just feels in person is the way to plan a hunt of that caliber plus he probably was busy.

It’s a bit impersonal but written communication is always challenging, especially if he is ESL. I would show some grace and meet with him.

Hi guys,

Thoughts?
It’s a $100,000 hunt so that may be part of the issue with him. Who knows.

Good morning
Thought about your post and knowing the outfitter you hunted with a couple years ago and with it being the middle of the hunting season in Tanzania, in addition that he picked up some of the clients from his partner company due to a death in that family, my bet is that he is overwhelmed keeping all the irons in the fire so to speak.

Would suggest that you send him another Whatsapp text and tell him you would really like to discuss the options sooner rather than later as you are looking to make serious plans before the show season. Would it be possible between clients in camp to set up a short whatsapp call. If that doesn't work move on and find a better fit.

Hi guys,

Thoughts?
First off, I personally would not take issue with that note. I'd take it as "let's talk in person, this is a big deal, a special hunt and I want to discuss it in person."

From there it becomes pure speculation. Does he want to give you a deal? Or are prices going up? Is the lion population down? Maybe its up?

If you really want to get it booked sooner than later, take the advice from @AZDAVE

If you can have patience, wait and visit at SCI.

If you want a better deal, shop around. We did not pay $100k for our entire hunt which included 2 buffalo, leopard, lion, full slate of Plains Game, observer fee, full 21 days. No charter was needed but is available at cost.

Prices have jumped since our hunt in 2021. I think some new bidders for the concessions have increased costs and slowed booking. Your Outfitter may want to go over that with you in person also.

I would agree with what has been already said. A hunt of that size may want to be discussed in person. He also may be booked far out and want to gauge timing.

As has been said, meet with him in person.
A free range, wild lion hunt needs more than a few WhatsApp messages to arrange properly.
Most outfitters, especially the good ones, don’t have a lot of time on their hands.
Hunting season with back to back safaris, show and marketing season, family time, travel, maintenance of vehicles and camps, HR, anti-poaching etc.etc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotapparel

Latest profile posts

Got Apparel started out with just a small line of brands in 2007 and today, we’ve become one of the largest online wholesale clothing stores you’ll find. We stock some of the greatest brands including Adidas, Gildan, Port Authority and Hanes.
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?