Leopard Hunting Accident Involving Craig Boddington's Daughter

Seemed much ado about not very much. She shot a guy accidentally trying to save his life. So what? Anybody trying to make bad news out of that would just shoot themselves in the foot.

On the other hand, this FundMe campaign really stinks of fish to me. What kind of outfitter doesn't have insurance? Really? I can tell you no outfitter anyplace I've ever hunted can be licensed without at least liability insurance. In that line of work it would seem health insurance for staff would be essential. I don't see any way that Ms Boddington could ever be held liable for damages. The Good Samaritan principle is usually an iron clad defense. It's hard to believe any lawyer would be foolish enough to launch a claim against her. Making a claim against the outfitter would be the route to take. It was not the Boddington's responsibility to look after the tracker. It is the outfitter's responsibility. I think it was a noble gesture to campaign for funds to help out (but who was being helped?). However, playing the "we must accept the blame" game and then switching to "but my bank accounts are empty" doesn't wash with me. No one was to blame so no one needs to accept responsibility. And I don't believe for a minute Craig Boddinton was living on welfare. Looks like a publicity stunt. And why not? That's how influencers make a living. Is what it is. I just accept it as a fact of life in the internet age.
I believe in everything you just said. I don't blame the daughter for trying to do the right thing, and YES I agree as well that an employee of the PH or outfitter is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY .

That said I do believe that morally, Boddington (or anyone) needs to do something to make it right. Boddington asked for other people's money which doesn't sit right with me

As far as his bankruptcy is concerned, it is a fact, and I'm sure it's online somewhere because I remember reading about it

Again, I am not looking to argue with any of you or am I telling anyone that they are wrong for what they posted, as I am simply stating my OWN PERSONAL OPINION on boddington

Does he pay for these hunts? I always thought the well known writers hunted for free (or severely discounted), then made money writing about it. Writer gets content and PH gets their name in print in front of thousands of readers.
Incorrect! Craig has said before in some of his articles he pays for his hunts. Yes he then makes his living writing about them and yes recommending them

Incorrect! Craig has said before in some of his articles he pays for his hunts. Yes he then makes his living writing about them and yes recommending them
It always amazes me so many people think these people are wealthy when in fact they are not

It always amazes me so many people think these people are wealthy when in fact they are not
And that is exactly my point...how does he pay for all of those hunts on a writers salary...especially with a limited consumer base as African hunters?

He stated one time that he has been to Africa alone more than 120 times and these aren't South African cull hunts, they are big dollar big five hunts...we are taking MANY MILLIONS of dollars to pay for all that. Then his North American, Marco Polo, Asian, European, etc hunts.

And he DID claim bankruptcy...look it up it's a fact

Who were his creditors...I'm glad I'm not one of them

Well it’s your lucky day. Today I have more free time than common sense.

But no, I wouldn’t recognize him.
@Aaron N
Even tho I have read one of his books and some article by him if he knocked on my door I would have to ask him who he was. I wouldn't recognise him as I don't follow him that closely.
Bob

And that is exactly my point...how does he pay for all of those hunts on a writers salary...especially with a limited consumer base as African hunters?

He stated one time that he has been to Africa alone more than 120 times and these aren't South African cull hunts, they are big dollar big five hunts...we are taking MANY MILLIONS of dollars to pay for all that. Then his North American, Marco Polo, Asian, European, etc hunts.

And he DID claim bankruptcy...look it up it's a fact

Who were his creditors...I'm glad I'm not one of them

I would guess that his hunts are a business expense against his writing income. After all, no hunt, no story, no income. I also do not doubt his bankruptcy. Choosing to be an outdoor writer is not a path to riches.

I have known Craig Boddington for over 2 decades, having served with him on active duty and socially since. He is a "stand up" gentleman whose words and actions have always been honorable and trustworthy.... in garrison, on the battlefield or socially. I find it disheartening to read some of the earlier comments written by folks that don't know him, his character or his family.
Chip Parker
BGEN USMC (Ret)

I have known Craig Boddington for over 2 decades, having served with him on active duty and socially since. He is a "stand up" gentleman whose words and actions have always been honorable and trustworthy.... in garrison, on the battlefield or socially. I find it disheartening to read some of the earlier comments written by folks that don't know him, his character or his family.
Chip Parker
BGEN USMC (Ret)
Ralph, I would expect a Marine to defend another Marine to the death.

I said a lot about him here, and I did call a few of his actions and bankruptcy "shady"

That said, I said all that I have to say so I won't comment any further

And as I said before, just giving you all my 2 Cents

Chip Parker
BGEN USMC (Ret)

Thank you, that is certainly my impression of the man based on far less experience than yours. I have always appreciated his willingness to visit and share his knowledge freely. I, like you, am disheartened by some of the comments made. We should be better than that.

While living in Alaska in late 70 I met 2 service men who had been to Kodiak bear hunting. Wounded a bear that went into brush. They had to follow up and they decided if the bear got one down the other should shoot til it was over. It happened. Bear was swing his buddy holding him in his mouth. The other fired until bear was dead. He shot his buddy in the ankle but there THEY stood talking to me-both of them. He was still alive and they were still buddies. Would you rather be shot in the ankle or eaten alive!! You could still see a long wide wound thru his pants when pulled tight. I was in on 7 bear kills on the Ak peninsula and that was the rule we played by-thank God it never happened. She did good or better really.

Yes I'm sure that it was a total shit show and I don't blame her one bit...plus I think that she was 16 at the time
I believe she was 23 at the time....
I also believe if they were not shooting a tv show this incident would not have happened.....
The PH took the first shot wounding the leopard...
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. I was not there. However given the circumstances(agressiveness of the leopard and failure to tree) I am not sure I would have had the client go in there the second time after the dogs where watered and rested.....hanging back a bit may have been a better option...

She was not guilty of any crime..

For Hemingways 2nd safari, magazine life paid 10.000 usd. Big money at that time. His wifes family covered other part of financing.

Safari industry needs face, and advertising, and magazines, and publications, and aticles, and books.
Sponsors follow.

Every generation of safari hunters and safari industry had one face of the industry to show.
Now can be CB. He can talk, and he is prolific writer, willing to make movie as well.

Before him was Capstick

Before capstick was Ruark.

Before Ruark was Hemingway.

And it all started by Roosevelt.

Who was paying all of them? For Roosevelt safari we know who were sponsors. And he had them. 2 million dolars of todays worth, plus double rifle valued 200.000 at least.

Bottom line, industry needs contemporary face, and the face needs sponsors. ClassIc PR.
There is not too many of them per generation, but one or few always come out. Outfitters, gun industry, hunting organisations. They all need face to show, money will follow.
Basically same system as financing internet influencers, with many followers. Who sponsors Kardashians?

Last edited:
Lots of discussion here, but in my mind only the outcome matter.

1. Is Punky today able to function and work 100% the same way he could before?
2. If he can't, did he receive compensation that would cover his loss in income potential
3. Was his medical expenses and loss of income covered by CB?

If Craig sorted out Punky then he is a gentleman. If he did not, then is is not one.

I know and have worked with hundreds of Punkys in my life, and a incident like that has the potential to change the life of a low income person into that of a pauper.
We don't have social safety nets here.

Lots of discussion here, but in my mind only the outcome matter.

1. Is Punky today able to function and work 100% the same way he could before?
2. If he can't, did he receive compensation that would cover his loss in income potential
3. Was his medical expenses and loss of income covered by CB?

If Craig sorted out Punky then he is a gentleman. If he did not, then is is not one.

I know and have worked with hundreds of Punkys in my life, and a incident like that has the potential to change the life of a low income person into that of a pauper.
We don't have social safety nets here.
Careful now...some of the Hero Worshippers here might not like what you are saying;)

I believe she was 23 at the time....
I also believe if they were not shooting a tv show this incident would not have happened.....
The PH took the first shot wounding the leopard...
Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. I was not there. However given the circumstances(agressiveness of the leopard and failure to tree) I am not sure I would have had the client go in there the second time after the dogs where watered and rested.....hanging back a bit may have been a better option...

She was not guilty of any crime..

I wondered when they said age 16. Perhaps a 16 year old should not have made the call to take the shot. I'm sure many are capable shots at 16 but it made me think.

Maybe she was 23 or over 21 or something.

Perhaps the PH should be responsible for follow up. As a client you may have saved his life but it's still potential for a fatal outcome or investigation in a foreign country.

I wondered when they said age 16. Perhaps a 16 year old should not have made the call to take the shot. I'm sure many are capable shots at 16 but it made me think.

Maybe she was 23 or over 21 or something.

Perhaps the PH should be responsible for follow up. As a client you may have saved his life but it's still potential for a fatal outcome or investigation in a foreign country.
She was 23...

The PH did back up(shoiting at the charging unwounded cat) wounding the leopard(the first bullet the cat received)....

She then took a shot at its back as it was what she could see....

She was 23...

The PH did back up(shoiting at the charging unwounded cat) wounding the leopard(the first bullet the cat received)....

She then took a shot at its back as it was what she could see....
I thought that she wounded the cat off of the bait? What happened that it was unwounded and charged??

I thought that she wounded the cat off of the bait? What happened that it was unwounded and charged??
No, the cat was run with dogs, and jumped the tracker when wounded.

For Hemingways 2nd safari, magazine life paid 10.000 usd. Big money at that time. His wifes family covered other part of financing.

Safari industry needs face, and advertising, and magazines, and publications, and aticles, and books.
Sponsors follow.

Every generation of safari hunters and safari industry had one face of the industry to show.
Now can be CB. He can talk, and he is prolific writer, willing to make movie as well.

Before him was Capstick

Before capstick was Ruark.

Before Ruark was Hemingway.

And it all started by Roosevelt.

Who was paying all of them? For Roosevelt safari we know who were sponsors. And he had them. 2 million dolars of todays worth, plus double rifle valued 200.000 at least.

Bottom line, industry needs contemporary face, and the face needs sponsors. ClassIc PR.
There is not too many of them per generation, but one or few always come out. Outfitters, gun industry, hunting organisations. They all need face to show, money will follow.
Basically same system as financing internet influencers, with many followers. Who sponsors Kardashians?
More trash?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NXWRod0839

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg