Lee Factory Crimp Die for .470 NE

All of this detailed knowledge and discussion is so valuable - thank you everyone for contributing!

So is it correct then that the “best” solution ignoring cost would be to have multiple specific crimping dies at different lengths to accommodate the ranges of case length that you might have?

This is just my opinion- I have a crimping die for my 9.3 and I see no visually discernible difference in crimp using a seating die.

This is just my opinion- I have a crimping die for my 9.3 and I see no visually discernible difference in crimp using a seating die.
All of this detailed knowledge and discussion is so valuable - thank you everyone for contributing!

So is it correct then that the “best” solution ignoring cost would be to have multiple specific crimping dies at different lengths to accommodate the ranges of case length that you might have?

It’s a factory crimp die per caliber, not per bullet type.

Could a possible alternative solution be to just get a second seating die and remove the seating plug and set it up for crimping rather than seating? That way you can move the seating depth up and down depending on the case length?
I tried that exact thing but it just does not put a good crimp for me

The mechanics are completely different between how the two types of crimps are formed. The tapered crimp ring inside the seating die pushes case metal both inward and downward during crimp formation. The Lee FCD collet only pushes a band of case mouth metal inward, resulting in a very consistent outcome. It’s the downward force part of crimping with the tapered ring in the standard seating die that can cause issues during the process, resulting in variable or even less bullet/neck tension due to the downward force, “wrinkling” effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamamelody

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]