Large Botswana Bull

That’s a great bull!

Jeans and a long sleeve shirt, you were lucky to get out of there alive!

, are you thinking I should still be going to the doc and getting more IV treatments, I had one IV in Africa. I still feel weak and crappy especially when the sun hits me, though I think I am very slowly getting better.
hmmmm,

like many ailments in our lives, that i believe is the answer, getting slowly better. what that tells me is that you basically ran yourself into the ground (think of an airplane doing that). it takes time to recover. just be intentional and you will get better. the thing is....dont repeat it, cause next time it could be worse. be aware and slow down and take the time to cool off or things could end up worse.

all this said, i am just a dumb EMT with 20 years experience. i suspect there is a doctor or two on this site that could give you better advice. get well.

That’s a great bull!

Jeans and a long sleeve shirt, you were lucky to get out of there alive!
Yes, I never wear shorts or short sleeves , but if I go again, I may very well wear shorts

Thanks your thoughts , are you thinking I should still be going to the doc and getting more IV treatments, I had one IV in Africa. I still feel weak and crappy especially when the sun hits me, though I think I am very slowly getting better.
I will try to get the videos posted. Thank you Sir.
Glad you are ok. I think @1dirthawker meant liquid IV electrolytes drink supplement not a liquid IV into your arm.

Yes, I never wear shorts or short sleeves , but if I go again, I may very well wear shorts

Well my advice would be, adjust the wardrobe or stay out of the desert. I’m glad you are on the path to recovery!

Congratulations on a magnificent bull

I have had multiple heat exhaustion episodes, being a rancher and boat captain really puts a strain on the body, we had to unload 6 tons of feed one day in 104* ( 120 heat index) and got way too hot and as said before it’s not a easy recovery and can easily go south if you don’t learn to pace yourself, I wear deluth pants and a full sleeve fishing shirt ( any cool dry material) and alpaca socks, and keep a special towel that is made for cooling after being soaked in cold water, and a large brimmed hat
If you’re near bananas or watermelon eat some when you start feeling the heat and take a break and eat some, carry some packages of salted crackers or almonds in your pack or vehicle
a fish oil daily supplement will help ward of HE also , oysters are full of zinc, magnesium, and other essentials
image.jpg

Good god man what a great bull. I must say the picture looks cool as hell.

I want to be like you when I grow up!!

Good luck on getting back to full speed.

Congratulations on a magnificent bull

I have had multiple heat exhaustion episodes, being a rancher and boat captain really puts a strain on the body, we had to unload 6 tons of feed one day in 104* ( 120 heat index) and got way too hot and as said before it’s not a easy recovery and can easily go south if you don’t learn to pace yourself, I wear deluth pants and a full sleeve fishing shirt ( any cool dry material) and alpaca socks, and keep a special towel that is made for cooling after being soaked in cold water, and a large brimmed hat
If you’re near bananas or watermelon eat some when you start feeling the heat and take a break and eat some, carry some packages of salted crackers or almonds in your pack or vehicle
a fish oil daily supplement will help ward of HE also , oysters are full of zinc, magnesium, and other essentialsView attachment 627857
On a side note. Those cooling towels are the ducks nuts!!! Had one for my last Cooker who could not handle the heat at all. Just soaked it and put it over him. He would walk around with it no problem. Never tried to pull it off.

Congratulations on the elephant! You have to drink plenty of water and possibly rest in the heat. Your body is going to need time to recover and rebuild.

Great bull congrats, heat stroke aint fun. The exitement and adrenaline of the hunt must have overpowered your senses of getting weaker and felling off and then it hits you hard.

Slow and steady recovery is the only treatment I know off.

I'm not a fan of short pants either. I have some Kuiu pants that have mesh pockets and leg slits with zippers to open. They are awesome! Zip up in the early morning and evenings, but when it starts to warm up unzip the pockets and leg slots and you quickly feel a nice breeze coming through yet still have protection from scratches and sunburn. You can also get long sleeve sun protection shirts that are thin and breath well. Fishing shirts.

I live in South Texas and wear long pant and long sleeves almost everywhere I go. I find that long sleeve shirts cool better when you get a bit of a sweat going. Now I do agree that they need to be the correct weight. I like the Carhart Cargo pants because they are thin and breath better than jeans and I usually wear a light weight fishing style shirt. I am becoming a big fan of shirts with a hood though so I can pull the hood over my neck and ears. I also really like wearing neck gaiters for the same reason. Not to criticize, but I think the jeans and thick shirt were retaining heat and it caught up to you.

Love that elephant thought. The battered and broken ends of his tusks make me think he must have lead quite a life and he was probably spectacular if he was fully intact. Congrats on the amazing trophy.

I live in South Texas and wear long pant and long sleeves almost everywhere I go. I find that long sleeve shirts cool better when you get a bit of a sweat going. Now I do agree that they need to be the correct weight. I like the Carhart Cargo pants because they are thin and breath better than jeans and I usually wear a light weight fishing style shirt. I am becoming a big fan of shirts with a hood though so I can pull the hood over my neck and ears. I also really like wearing neck gaiters for the same reason. Not to criticize, but I think the jeans and thick shirt were retaining heat and it caught up to you.

Love that elephant thought. The battered and broken ends of his tusks make me think he must have lead quite a life and he was probably spectacular if he was fully intact. Congrats on the amazing trophy.
Excellent advice. Lightweight clothes that cover up as much skin as possible helps a lot.

My wife keeps me supplied with those WhataBurger SPF hooded fishing shirts
They really are the real deal for the summer heat and sun!
Same for the face / neck gators, a silk scarf wrapped Hodjie style helps keep me comfortable

Last edited:
Excellent advice. Lightweight clothes that cover up as much skin as possible helps a lot.
That’s what I’ve found too. Lightweight long pants and lightweight long sleeves plus a neck gaiter keep the sun off me. They might be a little bit warmer while hunting but I find it a lot easier to recover that evening and be ready for the next day than being exposed to too much sun. I also try to stay ahead on electrolytes drinks whether I think I need them or not.

Well my advice would be, adjust the wardrobe or stay out of the desert. I’m glad you are on the path to recovery!
I am ashamed to show my birdlegs, but I'm probably the only one that really cares anyway, but now I have to take all the precautions I can. Thanks for your thoughts Sir.

You are right about the jeans and shirt holding in a lot of heat. Thanks for your thoughts Sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamakatoo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with