Is Blaser Trying To Price Themselves Out Of The American Market???

Pretty much everywhere runs suppressors now. I don’t know any serious shooter (besides here) that don’t run suppressors. Just no downside I can find.

I bet you most camp rifles are supressed in Africa now too. Really behooves the PH to have them canned.

There are many countries in Africa where surpressors are not allowed with Namibia and South Africa being an exception.

This is something which could be added to the "Hunting info by country" section of this forum by the way.

So European Blaser barrels are threaded to Euro thread (Metric TPI) spec instead of our Imperial TPI spec. In chatting with Kevin Wistner at their SCI booth this year, he reminded me that Blaser barrels require special handling when threading. They have a gunsmith in Texas that they send all US R8 barrels to that can thread them and not invalidate the warranty or accuracy guarantee…. Since I use suppressors a lot, I order my barrels from Eurooptic and Blaser USA has them threaded before shipping them..

When looking at price comparisons of various rifles, if you set aside the straight pull and interchangeability for a moment and simply compare the price of any other takedown rifle to the R8, Blaser rifles are actually a better bang for the buck.. add in the ability for multiple barrels and return to zero scope mounts and I find its still a great deal.. ( I have 4 full R8s and numerous barrels) LOL..

For me, traveling with the small Blaser Pelican case is incredibly easier that a full length case - especially when hunting in Europe and Asia..

Admittedly they have gone up in price but what hasn’t :-(
Interesting... I still think their barrels should come from the factory threaded, especially if they want to cater to the younger (30s-40s with disposable income) US market. I breeze right over rifles that aren't threaded with the only caveat being older classic rifles.

The cost isnt exactly prohibitive to me but certain basic features should be included in a high price.

Id still love to try one out one day

Pretty much everywhere runs suppressors now. I don’t know any serious shooter (besides here) that don’t run suppressors. Just no downside I can find.

I bet you most camp rifles are supressed in Africa now too. Really behooves the PH to have them canned.
Turns a perfectly balanced rifle of exactly the right length into a surf rod. They are fine on my ARs. I have no use for one on a rifle for North American or African big game. I also don't hunt in Africa where they are popular. And I am a very serious shooter.

Although I've always thought I'd like to try a Blaser, the cost doesn't seem worth it to me. I can get a rifle with a synthetic stock and my specs produced for less money than a Blaser if I plan ahead.
Spoken like most critics who have never used one.

Turns a perfectly balanced rifle of exactly the right length into a surf rod. They are fine on my ARs. I have no use for one on a rifle for North American or African big game. I also don't hunt in Africa where they are popular. And I am a very serious shooter.
Nah. Thats been discussed as nauseam. Blaser rifle with 20 inch barrel is shorter with can than average rifle. Gonna have to find another argument.

I said besides on here. Try not to take personal offense and stick to topic please.

Interesting... I still think their barrels should come from the factory threaded, especially if they want to cater to the younger (30s-40s with disposable income) US market. I breeze right over rifles that aren't threaded with the only caveat being older classic rifles.

The cost isnt exactly prohibitive to me but certain basic features should be included in a high price.

Id still love to try one out one day
And I will not buy a hunting rifle with a threaded muzzle. I breeze right over them.

Nah. Thats been discussed as nauseam. Blaser rifle with 20 inch barrel is shorter with can than average rifle. Gonna have to find another argument.

I said besides on here. Try not to take personal offense and stick to topic please.
I don't shoot 20" barrels except on a self-defense weapon or an AR. And I don't think I'll let you lecture me.

I will not buy a threaded R8 barrel. All of mine are equipped with open sights - something else I won't hunt in Africa without.

And I will not buy a hunting rifle with a threaded muzzle. I breeze right over them.
You’re the exception not the rule.

Most don’t hunt with a ph beside them. That’s pretty specific to African or other guided hunts.

I hunt with my kids a ton. Better believe I’m gonna have a can on there. Them trying to deal with sound protection is dangerous as heck.

If I was a ph I wouldn’t want my client with ear protection in. They might not hear my command at a vital moment. I would probably require can.

Cans are cheaper than the high end hearing protection.

I don't shoot 20" barrels.
Well. Don’t want you having a surf rod.

Just letting you know the echo chamber here isn’t the real world. Most have embraced supressors, even most ph in Africa.

Well. Don’t want you having a surf rod.

Just letting you know the echo chamber here isn’t the real world. Most have embraced supressors, even most ph in Africa.
No they haven't - certainly not in the US. And in Africa, a rather large place, it is pretty much a South African phenomena. Even there they are far from being in use by "most PH's." South Africa is a very different hunting environment than the Africa I prefer to hunt.

No they haven't - certainly not in the US. And in Africa, a rather large place, it is pretty much a South African phenomena. Even there they are far from being in use by "most PH's." South Africa is a very different hunting environment than the Africa I prefer to hunt.
Yes. They do. In the US most serious shooters have embraced suppressors. That’s just a fact. See how many new rifles come threaded.

In Europe I would say they are ubiquitous. The USA has been slower due to Hollywood acting like they create assassins. But that has changed.

Attachments

Yes. They do. In the US most serious shooters have embraced suppressors. That’s just a fact. See how many new rifles come threaded.
That is simply incorrect. How many times have you hunted Africa? Which countries? With how many different PH's and how many different outfitters? Just curious the breadth of your survey.

In the last twenty years of hunting Africa and a lot of other places on this and a couple of other continents, I have yet to hunt with a PH or guide lugging around a rifle with a can on the end of it. Judging by the photography, it does seem to be something of a South African and UK phenomena. Were an outfitter to "require" one, I simply would not be his client.

The rifles I use for serious hunting are not threaded. And except for ARs and the occasional muzzle brake on an otherwise perfectly good rifle, nor are those of the vast majority of my rather broad group of hunting acquaintances. Are there exceptions? Certainly. One of the correspondents I respect here on this site has a deer rifle so equipped for use here in Texas. But he is pretty unique.

That is simply incorrect. How many times have you hunted Africa? Which countries? With how many different PH's and how many different outfitters? Just curious the breadth of your survey.

In the last twenty years of hunting Africa and a lot of other places on this and a couple of other continents, I have yet to hunt with a PH or guide lugging around a rifle with a can on the end of it. Judging by the photography, it does seem to be something of a South African and UK phenomena. Were an outfitter to "require" one, I simply would not be his client.

The rifles I use for serious hunting are not threaded. And except for ARs and the occasional muzzle brake on an otherwise perfectly good rifle, nor are those of the vast majority of my rather broad group of hunting acquaintances. Are there exceptions? Certainly. One of the correspondents I respect here on this site has a deer rifle so equipped for use here in Texas. But he is pretty unique.
So, by your logic, if I find someone with more experience than you that feels cans are good, you will change your mind? Because I can easily do that.

That experience fallacy is a hard one to overcome. I know your answer, you won't change your thought. That is fine. I just want others to come here to not fall into the trap of thinking there is only one way to do things....

You hunting Africa a ton is great! Good for you. Doesn't make things I said about suppressors any less true. I'm glad you have had the time and money to go to some cool places. The average Joe will go to South Africa, and shoot with a can.

So, by your logic, if I find someone with more experience than you that feels cans are good, you will change your mind? Because I can easily do that.

That experience fallacy is a hard one to overcome. I know your answer, you won't change your thought. That is fine. I just want others to come here to not fall into the trap of thinking there is only one way to do things....

You hunting Africa a ton is great! Good for you. Doesn't make things I said about suppressors any less true. I'm glad you have had the time and money to go to some cool places. The average Joe will go to South Africa, and shoot with a can.

Red Leg,
Your a very small sample size. Ten years ago I didn't know anyone who used one, now a great many people I know own several and use them. Many hunting rifles now do come threaded, and are much more common on hunting shows. My PH had a can and a thermal sight. We didn't discuss it, we just used it, as it wasn't important enough to merit discussion. You can hate on them all you want... they are clearly arrived and being sold in record numbers. 3.6M and growing...

Red Leg,
Your a very small sample size. Ten years ago I didn't know anyone who used one, now a great many people I know own several and use them. Many hunting rifles now do come threaded, and are much more common on hunting shows. My PH had a can and a thermal sight. We didn't discuss it, we just used it, as it wasn't important enough to merit discussion. You can hate on them all you want... they are clearly arrived and being sold in record numbers. 3.6M and growing...

Sigh. I said that I own them. I even posted a picture of my DDM4 so equipped. I will also agree a lot of the cheaper massed produced rifles are now threaded - anything to sell one more. I just don't see any use for one hunting big game in most of North or South America or Africa. I can't imagine having one on a rifle I am carrying while trying to walk down a buffalo or eland through thick Caprivi thorn, Zim mopani, or the Zambezi Delta; or climbing three or four ridges looking for an elk or muley; or hauling one up a mountain after a sheep or a goat. I am quite confident I am pretty good company in that opinion - the company of very serious shooters and hunters.

You didn't answer my question @Daisy. How many different outfitters, PHs, and countries have you experienced in Africa? If not personal experience, what do you base your assertions upon?

My disagreement with you is that "most" PH's use them. I agreed with you that they seem to have become common in much of the South African Lodge hunting environment. I admitted that I have rarely hunted that environment - most recently was four years ago (though neither my PH nor those who worked for him used cans :unsure: ) - and I am unlikely to do so again (its a fence thing). But there is a whole lot of Africa besides the RSA. You could travel a lot of Mozambique, Northern Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania and Zimbabwe and search a very long time before finding a suppressor in use.

As this being an R8 conversation: please note that even though in Europe (Blaser being a German company) many people are ordering a threaded barrel this always comes with a premium to a non-threaded one as it adds additional costs (not only threading the barrel but you need to proof the barrels while there's a more efficient way in handling non-threaded barrels). This is true for all rifle makers. And even in Europe silencers are not allowed everywhere.
Nobody will offer the barrels threaded and will give you a discount if you order them unthreaded so your idea would contribute to inflation.
As we're talking about hunting in Africa please consider that most African countries don't allow silencers. And after hunting in SA once the list of remaining countries where silencers are allowed and hunting game is really interesting is pretty slim (I know this might be controversial but this is at least my lessons learned).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
africanscenicsafaris

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well