In memoriam - Professional Hunter Greg Michelson killed by wounded Buffalo

Greg Michelson of GM Safaris of Zambia and before that Zimbabwe. An excellent and well known professional hunter, someone I respected very much was killed by a wounded Buffalo in the Luangwa Valley today.

I copied this from a Facebook group. Sad news indeed.
Sad stuff. Saw that post on FB as well.

RIP to him and prayers for his family

Wow, very sorry to hear this. May he rest in eternal peace. My thoughts and sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

So sad. I hunted with Greg in the Luangwa; he was a very experienced and savvy hunter. Difficult to grasp something like this would happen to him. Just emphasizes what we all know - it could happen to any of us, anytime.

Prayers and condolences to his family. RIP Greg

Last edited:
My sincere condolences to his family and close ones

My sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones. RIP @Greg Michelson.

Last edited:
As @Red Leg stated we have lost too many good PHs not just this year, but over the years to wounded buff. And I will add ele as well.

It's one thing, that a PH give is his life protecting a client, yet another for the PH give his life protecting a morph stupid client.

A Great PH is a highly valued PH, because they have experienced both ends of the extremes:of the spectrum most every plausible senerio a client ends up successful,....or has endangered everyone in the hunting party for various asinine reasons

Losing PHs due to life expectancy is one thing,. As we all are somewhat aware that we all die sometime. Loosing one's life prematurely should never be acceptable. Contrary to those that claim: "That's why they get paid the big bucks!"

As @Red Leg stated we have lost too many good PHs not just this year, but over the years to wounded buff. And I will add ele as well.

It's one thing, that a PH give is his life protecting a client, yet another for the PH give his life protecting a morph stupid client.

A Great PH is a highly valued PH, because they have experienced both ends of the extremes:of the spectrum most every plausible senerio a client ends up successful,....or has endangered everyone in the hunting party for various asinine reasons

Losing PHs due to life expectancy is one thing,. As we all are somewhat aware that we all die sometime. Loosing one's life prematurely should never be acceptable. Contrary to those that claim: "That's why they get paid the big bucks!"
Do we have any idea if Greg died protecting a “morph stupid client”?

I have not found any details as to the circumstances around his death beyond a post on Facebook saying he was killed by “a wounded Buffalo”

While there is zero disagreement that all hunters should be prepared to deliver a killing shot and be selective as to which shots to take (ESPECIALLY on DG but also on any game anywhere) I think it is prudent to get more information before we start assigning blame.

All I can find is a single Facebook post by someone who lives in Las Vegas but is apparently originally from Zimbabwe

We don’t if know if it was even a buffalo wounded by HIS client…or a Lion.

I can’t even find any confirmation he is dead

Literally this is all we know about him being dead as far as I can find is the FB post below.

I can’t imagine someone would post this if they didn’t have it from a good source in Zimbabwe, so I imagine it must be true, but man, we don’t know much about what happened at this point.

And odds are that it WAS a buffalo shot by his client…but we don’t know that yet unless there is more information out than I can find.

And even perfectly shot, mortally wounded buffalo can change before kicking the bucket…

If anyone has any information beyond this single FB post I would love to hear it because this is all I can find

I the meantime I am just gonna wait for more information before I tar and feather anybody

IMG_3030.jpeg

Last edited:

I have not found any details as to the circumstances around his death beyond a post on Facebook saying he was killed by “a wounded Buffalo”

While there is zero disagreement that all hunters should be prepared to deliver a killing shot and be selective as to which shots to take (ESPECIALLY on DG but also on any game anywhere) I think it is prudent to get more information before we start assigning blame.

All I can find is a single Facebook post by someone who lives in Las Vegas but is apparently originally from Zimbabwe

Literally this is all we know about him being dead as far as I can find is the FB post below.

I can’t imagine someone would post this if they didn’t have it from a good source in Zimbabwe, so I imagine it must be true, but man, we don’t know much about what happened at this point.

And odds are that it WAS a buffalo shot by his client…but we don’t know that yet unless there is more information out than I can find.

And even perfectly shot, mortally wounded buffalo can change before kicking the bucket…

If anyone has any information beyond this single FB post I would love to hear it because this is all I can find

I the meantime I am just gonna wait for more information before I tar and feather anybody

View attachment 628721

The only info that I have so far is that he was following up a wounded buffalo when the incident occurred.

Very sad news.
Good ph and good friend to many in the industry here.

Condolences to the family

View attachment 628721

RIP Thoughts and prayers go out to those he left behind .

When I started this thread I had only that a Zimbabwe PH had been killed.

Absolutely horrible. May God/Allah grant our poor brother sportsman heaven/Jannat.

Right now, reports are very conflicting. Some saw his neck was broken and he died on the spot. Others are saying, he took a buffalo horn through the stomach.

The reality of hunting dangerous animals is that they can take the life of the hunters.

I certainly echo those here that have said that we as clients have a solemn responsibility to carry an adequate weapon and to be carefully prepared to use it with all competence.

Condolences to the family and associates of the PH.

So very sad to loose yet another PH. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

As @Red Leg stated we have a responsibility as clients/hunters to prepare to make a solid lethal first shot or just don't take the shot at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emyy23ly

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!