In memoriam - Professional Hunter Greg Michelson killed by Buffalo

Irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients can lead to people getting hurt. It’s not irrelevant to the topic especially if someone considers what they could do differently to avoid a bad situation like this.
So what "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" led to this tragedy? None that I know of for sure. Wounded game can still be the result of responsible behavior and decisions by clients. It happens. It's happened to me and I'll bet my crusty shorts it's happened to you too. After that everything was textbook followup. Not having the client and his wife along at the end was not necessary and probably a benefit. I cannot imagine any PH objecting to any client who wanted to return to the truck. I would expect relief was felt all the way around ... as long as the client agreed to give up his gun to someone capable in the posse. And he did. A client who refuses to go on and won't give up his gun is thoroughly irresponsible. Three men well armed in pursuit of wounded buffalo was more than adequate. No one could anticipate the bull would double back and ambush. I'm sure he'd been listening to them come through the tall grass for some time, knew they were spread out, did an end around, and bushwhacked the end man. The buffalo's reaction was textbook military tactic. How do you counter it? Without air support recon, it's pretty much impossible. Hard to say what happened during the charge but at that point it's doubtful anything anybody did can be deemed irresponsible. Branding anyone in this tragedy irresponsible is itself irresponsible.

Last edited:
So what "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" led to this tragedy? None that I know of for sure. Wounded game can still be the result of responsible behavior and decisions by clients. It happens. It's happened to me and I'll bet my crusty shorts it's happened to you too. After that everything was textbook followup. Not having the client and his wife along at the end was not necessary and probably a benefit. I cannot imagine any PH objecting to any client who wanted to return to the truck. I would expect relief was felt all the way around ... as long as the client agreed to give up his gun to someone capable in the posse. And he did. A client who refuses to go on and won't give up his gun is thoroughly irresponsible. Three men well armed in pursuit of wounded buffalo was more than adequate. No one could anticipate the bull would double back and ambush. I'm sure he'd been listening to them come through the tall grass for some time, knew they were spread out, did an end around, and bushwhacked the end man. The buffalo's reaction was textbook military tactic. How do you counter it? Without air support recon, it's pretty much impossible. Hard to say what happened during the charge but at that point it's doubtful anything anybody did can be deemed irresponsible. Branding anyone in this tragedy irresponsible is itself irresponsible.
No one really said it did. But a buffalo, wounded by a client, did result in the death of his PH, left a grieving family, and a hunter, assuming he is a normal human being, with a terrible burden to bear the rest of his life. Those are facts and not suppositions. I and several others simply noted it is a cautionary reminder for all of us that we owe it to everyone in the party to insure we take every effort to make no decisions - whether about weapon, ammunition, or shot that would contribute to a scenario like this.

No one really said it did. But a buffalo, wounded by a client, did result in the death of his PH, left a grieving family, and a hunter, assuming he is a normal human being, with a terrible burden to bear the rest of his life. Those are facts and not suppositions. I and several others simply noted it is a cautionary reminder for all of us that we owe it to everyone in the party to insure we take every effort to make no decisions - whether about weapon, ammunition, or shot that would contribute to a scenario like this.
I see. So "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" now becomes "a cautionary reminder." That's some significant watering down. :D

I see. So "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" now becomes "a cautionary reminder." That's some significant watering down. :D
My response was in direct reply to a member who says discussion of proper cartridges and proper bullets is irrelevant and made some sarcastic remarks. A PH died as a result of a buffalo hunt with a client. I think it’s very appropriate to consider what we as clients can do to limit the potential of this happening. There are some mistakes that don’t need to be made.

You can try to make an issue of this if that makes you feel better. My posts were very consistent. I simply hope you, like all the rest of us, pay very close attention to every variable affecting the first shot at a cape buffalo. The consequences are potentially life altering for a lot more individuals than the buffalo and oneself.

My sincere condolences to the bereaved family and wish they have the strength to bear this irreplaceable loss.

While we hunters debate on what could have been done or was not done, nothing at this point will bring Greg back to his family. However, there are some important lessons to be learned so that we are more informed before we embark on DG hunting.

Facts are sacred and there are many unknowns, I for one would like to know what firearm Greg had on him, was he able to get a shot in?

I keep hearing of a stopping rifle or a big bore, which even a not properly placed shot can have enough steam to stun the animal to change course. Did Greg have one such DB rifle and if the answer is Yes, and he was able to hit the animal "stopping rifle" may turn out to be a myth and or does not work every time and shot placement overrides larger is better.

I believe from this unfortunate incident valuable lesions can be learned and hence I choose to post albeit reluctantly.

"stopping rifle" may turn out to be a myth and or does not work every time and shot placement overrides larger is better.
If you hit the animal to central nervous system with any caliber it will drop.

But if you hit in marginal area of central nervous system, it may or may not drop, or will be stunned.
This scenario made the basis of famous Taylors theory of knock out value, still disputed today. I tend to believe larger is better in that case. But it is personal belief, there is no scientific proof of that.

Greg Michelson of GM Safaris of Zambia and before that Zimbabwe. An excellent and well known professional hunter, someone I respected very much was killed by a wounded Buffalo in the Luangwa Valley today.

I copied this from a Facebook group. Sad news indeed.

Very sad to hear this

Rip
Condolences to the family

Unfortunately for the Professional Hunters, Trackers, Game Scouts. If hunting with a new client. They have no idea how the hunter will perform at zero hour.

Its too bad a Hunter does not go through the same level of vetting a PH does. To hunt DG. Of course this isn’t practical. But not impossible.

When I was climbing at extreme altitudes. Several outfits and or teams I climbed with required me to submit a resume’ of experience. And to get a physical and mental examination. Then submit the results before being excepted. Then after arriving we were all tested for skill level and proficiency.

But I’ve seen the opposite while climbing in Nepal. People that had no right to be on the mountain other than the means to pay their way.

I’ve thought many times that PH’s and guides unfortunately have to put their lives in peoples hands that they don’t know.
Buffalo and mountains don’t give a rat’s rear end about your credentials, bullets or pedigree. As someone posted before, shit happens.

Upon reading the report I noted the follow up approached the 3 hr mark. In my experience, for what it’s worth, there is adrenaline and an edge that takes it out of you after just after a short while.
The hunter and his wife stayed with Greg for 3 hours. That took a toll and were honest about their condition.

I extend my condolences, not criticism

May he rest in peace. Anyone who does a dangerous job or hobby, from dangerous game hunting to motorcycles to sky diving, has the talk about going out "with their boots" on and meeting their maker while doing what they love.

I hope in the end it was easy and his family can find peace that he was doing what he loved.
IMG_4285.jpeg

This was our last night in camp with Greg in 2023. Greg is crouched at the beer box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClementDel

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]