In memoriam - Professional Hunter Greg Michelson killed by Buffalo

Irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients can lead to people getting hurt. It’s not irrelevant to the topic especially if someone considers what they could do differently to avoid a bad situation like this.
So what "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" led to this tragedy? None that I know of for sure. Wounded game can still be the result of responsible behavior and decisions by clients. It happens. It's happened to me and I'll bet my crusty shorts it's happened to you too. After that everything was textbook followup. Not having the client and his wife along at the end was not necessary and probably a benefit. I cannot imagine any PH objecting to any client who wanted to return to the truck. I would expect relief was felt all the way around ... as long as the client agreed to give up his gun to someone capable in the posse. And he did. A client who refuses to go on and won't give up his gun is thoroughly irresponsible. Three men well armed in pursuit of wounded buffalo was more than adequate. No one could anticipate the bull would double back and ambush. I'm sure he'd been listening to them come through the tall grass for some time, knew they were spread out, did an end around, and bushwhacked the end man. The buffalo's reaction was textbook military tactic. How do you counter it? Without air support recon, it's pretty much impossible. Hard to say what happened during the charge but at that point it's doubtful anything anybody did can be deemed irresponsible. Branding anyone in this tragedy irresponsible is itself irresponsible.

Last edited:
So what "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" led to this tragedy? None that I know of for sure. Wounded game can still be the result of responsible behavior and decisions by clients. It happens. It's happened to me and I'll bet my crusty shorts it's happened to you too. After that everything was textbook followup. Not having the client and his wife along at the end was not necessary and probably a benefit. I cannot imagine any PH objecting to any client who wanted to return to the truck. I would expect relief was felt all the way around ... as long as the client agreed to give up his gun to someone capable in the posse. And he did. A client who refuses to go on and won't give up his gun is thoroughly irresponsible. Three men well armed in pursuit of wounded buffalo was more than adequate. No one could anticipate the bull would double back and ambush. I'm sure he'd been listening to them come through the tall grass for some time, knew they were spread out, did an end around, and bushwhacked the end man. The buffalo's reaction was textbook military tactic. How do you counter it? Without air support recon, it's pretty much impossible. Hard to say what happened during the charge but at that point it's doubtful anything anybody did can be deemed irresponsible. Branding anyone in this tragedy irresponsible is itself irresponsible.
No one really said it did. But a buffalo, wounded by a client, did result in the death of his PH, left a grieving family, and a hunter, assuming he is a normal human being, with a terrible burden to bear the rest of his life. Those are facts and not suppositions. I and several others simply noted it is a cautionary reminder for all of us that we owe it to everyone in the party to insure we take every effort to make no decisions - whether about weapon, ammunition, or shot that would contribute to a scenario like this.

No one really said it did. But a buffalo, wounded by a client, did result in the death of his PH, left a grieving family, and a hunter, assuming he is a normal human being, with a terrible burden to bear the rest of his life. Those are facts and not suppositions. I and several others simply noted it is a cautionary reminder for all of us that we owe it to everyone in the party to insure we take every effort to make no decisions - whether about weapon, ammunition, or shot that would contribute to a scenario like this.
I see. So "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" now becomes "a cautionary reminder." That's some significant watering down. :D

I see. So "irresponsible behavior and decisions by clients" now becomes "a cautionary reminder." That's some significant watering down. :D
My response was in direct reply to a member who says discussion of proper cartridges and proper bullets is irrelevant and made some sarcastic remarks. A PH died as a result of a buffalo hunt with a client. I think it’s very appropriate to consider what we as clients can do to limit the potential of this happening. There are some mistakes that don’t need to be made.

You can try to make an issue of this if that makes you feel better. My posts were very consistent. I simply hope you, like all the rest of us, pay very close attention to every variable affecting the first shot at a cape buffalo. The consequences are potentially life altering for a lot more individuals than the buffalo and oneself.

My sincere condolences to the bereaved family and wish they have the strength to bear this irreplaceable loss.

While we hunters debate on what could have been done or was not done, nothing at this point will bring Greg back to his family. However, there are some important lessons to be learned so that we are more informed before we embark on DG hunting.

Facts are sacred and there are many unknowns, I for one would like to know what firearm Greg had on him, was he able to get a shot in?

I keep hearing of a stopping rifle or a big bore, which even a not properly placed shot can have enough steam to stun the animal to change course. Did Greg have one such DB rifle and if the answer is Yes, and he was able to hit the animal "stopping rifle" may turn out to be a myth and or does not work every time and shot placement overrides larger is better.

I believe from this unfortunate incident valuable lesions can be learned and hence I choose to post albeit reluctantly.

"stopping rifle" may turn out to be a myth and or does not work every time and shot placement overrides larger is better.
If you hit the animal to central nervous system with any caliber it will drop.

But if you hit in marginal area of central nervous system, it may or may not drop, or will be stunned.
This scenario made the basis of famous Taylors theory of knock out value, still disputed today. I tend to believe larger is better in that case. But it is personal belief, there is no scientific proof of that.

Greg Michelson of GM Safaris of Zambia and before that Zimbabwe. An excellent and well known professional hunter, someone I respected very much was killed by a wounded Buffalo in the Luangwa Valley today.

I copied this from a Facebook group. Sad news indeed.

Very sad to hear this

Rip
Condolences to the family

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatharineR

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]