I really don't need it.....but

Two years ago our local gun shop was closing up due to retirement. Everything was marked way down. For whatever reason, Gerry had two boxes of 458 Lott Hornady brass on the shelf. Very weird. I'm sure no one in this neck of the woods loads an African DGR ... except me. I bought one box for my PH @ $50. Now I wish I'd bought them both.

Three years ago on Black Friday I spotted a like new Sako Finbear in 375 at a local gun shop in Kalispell, MT. The price tag was $900. Clerk said it was on commission and the owner would deal. Probably should have had my brother buy it for me. But I'm no gun collector/dealer. I know my limitations. At that time I'd already shot my second Cape buffalo and figured I was done hunting dangerous game. Wrong.

There are bargains to be had for those who are patient. And then there's downright thievery. How does the OP shave in the morning without looking in the mirror? Shameless! :D

DAMN, what a snag and you didn't even have to wear a mask. Good luck hunting with it.

Everyone congratulating the guy and nobody has even considered the fact that now the poor guy is going to have to spend significantly on Airfare, Trophy Fees and Taxidermy! I for one feel genuinely sorry for the man, I'm afraid he know not what he hath done! GOOD FOR YOU, nice score!!

Last edited:
Every few years I get something way underpriced at my closest cabelas. I think the gun library manager thought he knew Everything so didn't research.
Sako AV in 300 with leupold scope. Oh, here's an extra stock that comes with it, McMillan something. Lol $900 total

Every few years I get something way underpriced at my closest cabelas. I think the gun library manager thought he knew Everything so didn't research.
Sako AV in 300 with leupold scope. Oh, here's an extra stock that comes with it, McMillan something. Lol $900 total

That song brought back a memory. The year was around 1985 . The place was a old farm house in the center of a grapefruit grove. I was with two twin brothers. We were on horseback. One of the brothers said they had something they wanted to show me. We rode up to the house knocked on the door and older lady came out and they asked if they could show me her sons car. We went into the barn and they pulled back tarp there was an original Shelby Cobra.

After a bit of oohing and aahing. I asked if she was interested in selling. She said “oh no its my sons car and he is still in Viet Nam, but he will be home soon. As we rode out my friends told me how years before before he had gone MIA. The ride that day was very quiet. I do not think about the Cobra, but I do think about the mother especially every Veterans day or if I see a MIA flag.

Lon

I once bought a Ruger Express in 30-06 at cabelas for 680 after tax and a G&H 30-06 built on a Pre-64 M70 action for a fraction of what I should have paid. They had the G&H tagged as Winchester “no model”. I have plenty that keeps me waking up at night but neither of these cause it!
Sleep well Art! Congratulations. Send me a PM if you need help with brass, I might have some extra.
Cheers,
Cody

Even at $1200 it would have been a good purchase.
Graf’s has brass for sale..

Attachments

Congrats! Were you quietly crapping yourself during those 4 days hoping that nobody else would snag it?

I bought my 550 in 375 last year for $1100. Came with 30mm rings, 50 new brass and 50 bullets. Good feeling when you see people asking $1800.

That song brought back a memory. The year was around 1985 . The place was a old farm house in the center of a grapefruit grove. I was with two twin brothers. We were on horseback. One of the brothers said they had something they wanted to show me. We rode up to the house knocked on the door and older lady came out and they asked if they could show me her sons car. We went into the barn and they pulled back tarp there was an original Shelby Cobra.

After a bit of oohing and aahing. I asked if she was interested in selling. She said “oh no its my sons car and he is still in Viet Nam, but he will be home soon. As we rode out my friends told me how years before before he had gone MIA. The ride that day was very quiet. I do not think about the Cobra, but I do think about the mother especially every Veterans day or if I see a MIA flag.

Lon

When I was in high school in the mid 70s, a buddy asked me to ride with him to go look at a car he might buy. His dad told him about a guy selling a "Vette" for some ridiculously low price. It turned out the "Vette" was not a "Corvette" but a "Chevette"

1702432497181.png

Good deal you got there! I wouldn't have been able to get to my wallet fast enough. I used a Lott for about a year, it was a Ruger Safari Magnum, but it just never fit me right, and too many rough edges, like computer-made and laser-cut checkering, a bona-fide hardware store gun, and I was not too fond of the cartridge either, but others like it. I'd take that CZ action and save/use it for a custom.

That's an awesome rifle! I can keep an eye open at my local shooters supply for bullets and brass. He's a wheeler and dealer, so sometimes I walk in there, and he'll have a whole box of 375 H&H brass, dies, and bullets for like $60. He carries some of the weirdest stuff you won't find anywhere else. I'll see what he has for the lott if you want. Whats your budget for bullets and brass?

He also had about 1000 rounds of .41AE and a few boxes of 9mm RIMMED in case anyone has a gun that uses those!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QSGAli3189

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?