I really don't need it.....but

This thread is worthless without some pictures!!!!!!
Picture = 1000 words. So all the comments are equivalent to a few pictures. But actual photos will be nice and I'm sure Art will post a few soon.

Here are a couple of photos of my new to me CZ 550 in 458 Lott. I called CZ and found out that the rifle was built on June 4th 2007. Note that there are no crossbolts which gives me cause for some concern.

IMG_2094.jpg
IMG_2099.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of photos of my new to me CZ 550 in 458 Lott. I called CZ and found out that the rifle was built on June 4th 2007. Note that there are no crossbolts which gives me cause for some concern.
Crossbolts are easy enough to install, I will say, that drop at the comb is going to make the muzzle want to climb on firing. Have you shot it yet?

Crossbolts are easy enough to install, I will say, that drop at the comb is going to make the muzzle want to climb on firing. Have you shot it yet?

@Shootist43 I have a CZ550FS in 6.5x55. The drop comb or hog back stock works better for iron sights and not so much for a scope. I couldn't get a good sight picture through the scope and also get a good cheek weld. I put one inch raised cheek pad on the stock and that helped.

You might consider getting a CZ550 American stock and swapping out the Safari stock, before going to time and trouble to add crossbolts.

McMillan makes anExpress kevlar stock for CZ btw
Bell & Carlson as well.

Stocks from either of these companies should put your mind at ease about the crossbolts. Personally, I've never been a fan of the hogback comb on a rifle.

Beautiful rifle Art. Congratulations.

Very lucky!

As others have mentioned, I would have cross bolts installed.

-Matt

Great buy, I'm glad to grabbed it you just might need it.

Bell & Carlson as well.

Stocks from either of these companies should put your mind at ease about the crossbolts. Personally, I've never been a fan of the hogback comb on a rifle.

Beautiful rifle Art. Congratulations.
I’ve seen several of the hunchbacked stocks here turn quite different with a Mac or BC stock on them . Shot an .458 Lott in 602 modded once . It was a good mix of them both

I’ve seen several of the hunchbacked stocks here turn quite different with a Mac or BC stock on them . Shot an .458 Lott in 602 modded once . It was a good mix of them both
Not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate please?

I shot a 602 in .458 with a McMillan Kevlar stock on some years back , it was very good and handy to use , being more sturdy so recoil was not so bothersome as with original stock owner said was a “ great plus”

I am so so happy for you, @Shootist43
Let’s plan a safari together and go after hippopotamus on land, soon !
Thats a great idea, I may have to stand in for my dad but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

My apologies to the people on this thread this will be Trip’s 4th dangerous game rifle not his third, to my knowledge he has a 375 H&H, a 404 Jeffries, a 416 Remington Magnum and now a 458 Lott. That’s not a bad collection for a 5’-5” tall, 135 pound 13 year old.

Last Thursday, Dec. 7th. I went to Cabela's just to kill some time. While there, I saw that the Gun Library was open. It had been closed for almost three years. Sitting on the shelf was a CZ 550 in 458 Lott. My immediate thoughts were that this is a "Safe Queen" if there ever was one. I mean not a mark on it. The asking price was $1,199.00. The salesman told me that Cabela's was selling all of their firearms at a 10% discount till Christmas. But then he mentioned that on Monday the 11th everything in the store would be getting another 10% knocked off it. Then he mentioned their Veteran's discount of 5%. I could hardly wait for Monday to get here. After all of the discounts I bought it for $899.00.

Now I need to locate some brass either once fired or new, bullets and dies so I can make up some dummy rounds to determine if the rifle has any function and or feeding problems. Anticipating that it may need a little tweaking, I've already contacted Tim at Matrix Gunsmithing for potential costs and timing. The sixty four dollar question is . . . . . . Do any of you 458 Lott owners have brass and or bullets for sale? If so, please PM me to arrange for payment and shipping information.
when I spoke to Tim a few months ago he said he was not taking anymore work he suggested another gunsmith for work, can't remember the guys name. is Matrix open again?

I have 458 Lott ammo and I might have some brass. I'll check.

Don't know how easy it is to ship ammo from Calif, brass shouldn't be an issue.

Choice Ammunition has 458 Lott.

Congrats Art !

You´re building up a great collection for Trip ;)

just a heads up for everyone... the last Member Monday Sale (10% off guns/ammo for Card holders, and you must use the card) is tomorrow the 18th. The 10% off used guns goes until Christmas eve. So if you're looking for something look TONIGHT and call the store with the gun you want. But wait until they open (9am local). No one will answer if you start calling non stop at 8:50

I wonder if this gun might have internal Weatherby style crossbolts? The stock I bought for my 404 build only had one crossbolt so I added a second internal one behind the magazine. Apparently, internal crossbolts are strong enough.

View attachment 574393View attachment 574395
My CZ Lott with an American style stock doesn't have crossbolts either. No problems yet, but I'm eventually buying a Bell and Carlson stock for it.

My CZ Lott with an American style stock doesn't have crossbolts either. No problems yet, but I'm eventually buying a Bell and Carlson stock for it.

How many shots with no problem?

I only ask as one source said they all fail, you need to have cross bolts professionally fitted. That within a conversation about my cz in .375H&H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thanpan

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia