Hunting with dangerous game cartridges outside of Africa?

Cast bullets are not recommended for African DG....

I can't see any reason why a 400 to 450 grain cast bullet would not settle the hash of most anything in Africa, excepting the really big guys like elephants, rhino.
Better throw Hippo in there as well.

In the bays of black powder the bullets/balls were all cast lead. Seem to remember reading of more than one or two where the cast lead did not seem to work too well.

In the bays of black powder the bullets/balls were all cast lead. Seem to remember reading of more than one or two where the cast lead did not seem to work too well.
Yes, and bearing in mind that with black powder rifles and caste led bullets, bore sizes from 450 to 577 were considered medium bores. DG rifles started around 8 bore and went to 4 or even 2 bore.

Yes, and bearing in mind that with black powder rifles and caste led bullets, bore sizes from 450 to 577 were considered medium bores. DG rifles started around 8 bore and went to 4 or even 2 bore.
Seleous used a 10 bore and cast ball to shoot elephants when he was first shooting for ivory.
gumpy

Cast ball and heavy for caliber cast bullets are very different creatures.

I still wouldn’t hunt any DG with them though…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trangchuhi88

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!