Hunting Southern Alabama

GerardV

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, UK
I'm fortunate enough to be working in Alabama for five months later this year and figured I'd make the most of hunting an new country whilst there.
Unfortunately I'll not be able to use a firearm, so it would all be bow hunting.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the public land and wildlife management areas are like for deer and hogs in southern Alabama, specifically around Ft Novosel?

I just returned from Australia and went through the anal exam required to obtain an International Visitor Firearm Permit from the Victoria Police. We do not have the same requirements here in the states if that is why you think you could not use a firearm while here.

As far as places to hunt, Alabama appears to be like many southern states, and has limited public land availability. Here are links to state and federal lands that are open to hunting. Alabama WMAs & Alabama National Forests

Last edited:
I just returned from Australia and went through the anal exam required to obtain an International Visitor Firearm Permit from the Victoria Police. We do not have the same requirements here in the states if that is why you think you could not use a firearm while here.

Ah, welcome to Australian firearms bureaucracy....

Unfortunately I had to sign an agreement that I wouldn't purchase or use a firearm outside of work whilst over there.

Understood. Just didn't want you to think you couldn't use one due to permitting issues. I added some links to public land in Alabama for you to look through. Hopefully some locals will chime in and can give you more specific advise on hunting opportunities!

Understood. Just didn't want you to think you couldn't use one due to permitting issues. I added some links to public land in Alabama for you to look through. Hopefully some locals will chime in and can give you more specific advise on hunting opportunities!
Much appreciated! I will check them out.

Unfortunately I had to sign an agreement that I wouldn't purchase or use a firearm outside of work whilst over there.
What on earth man??? That’s just tragic.

I’m sure there are some members here who could set you up with a weekend of hunting.

If you don’t mind riding over to Georgia one weekend I could probably make something happen.

I’ve never heard of such a thing, what a travesty! Is this a government or employer issue?

I’ve never heard of such a thing, what a travesty! Is this a government or employer issue?

Gov, I believe it was introduced after a foreign military student shot a number of people in Pensacola a few years ago.

@sureshot375 that is a very kind offer. I may have to take you up on that if I can't find any deer around AL.

Gov, I believe it was introduced after a foreign military student shot a number of people in Pensacola a few years ago.

@sureshot375 that is a very kind offer. I may have to take you up on that if I can't find any deer around AL.

I have had foreign friends come to the US and hunt with me. It didn’t seem to be an issue at all.

"Use a firearm"? Something I don't understand, and probably won't. I won't get into that.

Regarding the area in South Alabama, I will check with a good client I work with, just north of Mobile. Good folks, hunters, riflemen and women, and good country with real hunters and law abiding citizens, friendly folks.

I like when my clients have deer mounts on the wall, gun safes with bird guns and deer rifles, in the office. And an AR, just in case.

Will check with some local contacts for a guide that may be able to help with a rifle hunt.
Just be prepared to have beer, meat, and whiskey.
You won't be disappointed.

And plan a trip down to Ft. Walton Beach Florida, just due South. The northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico is really nice, and the seafood is good. Good fishing in season.

Or for a more low-key experience, go to Orange Beach, Alabama. Our favorite spot.

I have had foreign friends come to the US and hunt with me. It didn’t seem to be an issue at all.
I believe it is just in the job role I am coming over with, but stipuated by the US gov. If I had been coming over on holiday there would be no such restriction

Reactions: WAB
"Use a firearm"? Something I don't understand, and probably won't. I won't get into that.

Regarding the area in South Alabama, I will check with a good client I work with, just north of Mobile. Good folks, hunters, riflemen and women, and good country with real hunters and law abiding citizens, friendly folks.

I like when my clients have deer mounts on the wall, gun safes with bird guns and deer rifles, in the office. And an AR, just in case.

Will check with some local contacts for a guide that may be able to help with a rifle hunt.
Just be prepared to have beer, meat, and whiskey.
You won't be disappointed.

And plan a trip down to Ft. Walton Beach Florida, just due South. The northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico is really nice, and the seafood is good. Good fishing in season.

Or for a more low-key experience, go to Orange Beach, Alabama. Our favorite spot.
Many thanks, I've heard the game fishing down south is excellent. It is certainly on my bucket list to check it out!

I'm fortunate enough to be working in Alabama for five months later this year and figured I'd make the most of hunting an new country whilst there.
Unfortunately I'll not be able to use a firearm, so it would all be bow hunting.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the public land and wildlife management areas are like for deer and hogs in southern Alabama, specifically around Ft Novosel?
Took me a moment to remember they renamed Fort Rucker.

The stipulation by the US gov't really aggravates me since you could legally possess and handle a firearm as a visitor so long as you had an non-resident hunting license.

Took me a moment to remember they renamed Fort Rucker.

The stipulation by the US gov't really aggravates me since you could legally possess and handle a firearm as a visitor so long as you had an non-resident hunting license.
Yeah it is frustrating as I had some good pistol coaching courses lined up as well.

I can see the intent behind it but having someone sign an agreement saying they won't buy/use firearms won't stop some nutter or AQ supporter go on to commit an act of terrorism.

Hopefully I can make it to SHOT Show in Jan.

Clarity regarding "foreign nationals" using a firearm.
NAS Pensacola Dec. 16, 2019. A Saudi national. The local sheriffs took him out.

A completely different situation for many other foreign visitors, perhaps an Aussie businessman, professional, expert, engineer, technician working in the US.

Maybe you can hire a hunt to carry a rifle for a proper hunt. 30-06, .308, or .270 will handle that.

I love the people and beauty of the Fertile Crescent.

Mate, best for your work in the US, and having a hunt.
I'll find some Marmite!
And cook some Shrimp PoBoys.

Clarity regarding "foreign nationals" using a firearm.
NAS Pensacola Dec. 16, 2019. A Saudi national. The local sheriffs took him out.

A completely different situation for many other foreign visitors, perhaps an Aussie businessman, professional, expert, engineer, technician working in the US.

Maybe you can hire a hunt to carry a rifle for a proper hunt. 30-06, .308, or .270 will handle that.

I love the people and beauty of the Fertile Crescent.

Mate, best for your work in the US, and having a hunt.
I'll find some Marmite!
And cook some Shrimp PoBoys.
Pardon me. I meant VEGEMITE!.

There are a lot of public hunting opportunities in Alabama if you are archery hunting, Especially if you have access to a boat. Most of the Mobile/Tensaw delta is under the Forever Wild program. I believe it is over 20,000 acres in that one area. Most of the public land hunting I have done in Alabama, was in the Demopolis WMA, and there is some really good hunting there. The Outdoor Alabama app and OnX would give you some info on location, terrain, and regulations for the public hunting areas. You could also find some information on the ALDeer forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelMart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?