How many is too many?

Well, i guess i'll chime in here.

I dont do wildcats. I dont reload so i stay pretty Vanillia. BUT i think i have most needs filled in.

Handguns:

.22lr
.38spl.
.32acp
9mm- several
.45acp
.44magnum

Shotguns:

12ga
20ga

Rifles:

.17hmr
.22lr
.223rem
5.56nato
6.5 creedmore
.308 win
.300 win mag
.375H&H

I can do whatever i need to with this list.

As weird as it may sound, shooters develop a strong attachment to cartridges. As such, there is often the desire to collect a whole range of them--sometimes by their specialized positioning (varmint, predator, deer-size, big stuff, long-range, etc.), sometimes according to a theme (classic British nitro expresses, European Mauser calibers, Old West buffalo cartridges, wildcats like the OP, etc), sometimes simply as an excuse to buy another rifle.

In my experience as a marketing professional in the gun industry, the whole shooting public can be ultimately reduced to two camps: those who view their gun as a tool, and those for whom the ownership and use of the gun itself is the main source of pleasure.

The first group tends to own fewer guns in fewer calibers, although in that case too there is a curious, often morbid attachment to certain cartridges. For instance, try finding a .44 Special revolver at a decent price, or try talking down the 6.5 Creedmoor to a millennial with a black rifle and a man-bun. For the second group, money, physical space--and a wife's degree of patient resignation--are the only limits; these are the guys whose handloading area looks like an isle in a pre-pandemic Midway USA warehouse.

So, short answer: if you like collecting rifle/cartridge combinations, knock yourself out. Life is short and passions are what make it enjoyable.

As weird as it may sound, shooters develop a strong attachment to cartridges. As such, there is often the desire to collect a whole range of them--sometimes by their specialized positioning (varmint, predator, deer-size, big stuff, long-range, etc.), sometimes according to a theme (classic British nitro expresses, European Mauser calibers, Old West buffalo cartridges, wildcats like the OP, etc), sometimes simply as an excuse to buy another rifle.

In my experience as a marketing professional in the gun industry, the whole shooting public can be ultimately reduced to two camps: those who view their gun as a tool, and those for whom the ownership and use of the gun itself is the main source of pleasure.

The first group tends to own fewer guns in fewer calibers, although in that case too there is a curious, often morbid attachment to certain cartridges. For instance, try finding a .44 Special revolver at a decent price, or try talking down the 6.5 Creedmoor to a millennial with a black rifle and a man-bun. For the second group, money, physical space--and a wife's degree of patient resignation--are the only limits; these are the guys whose handloading area looks like an isle in a pre-pandemic Midway USA warehouse.

So, short answer: if you like collecting rifle/cartridge combinations, knock yourself out. Life is short and passions are what make it enjoyable.
You have seen my reloading area?

Rifle: .22, .223, .22-250, .243 (Sorry Bob), 6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Jap, .280, .30-30, .300 Savage, .308, .30-06, .300 WinMag, .338 Marlin, .35 Remington, .45-70

Pistol: .22, .243, .38 Special, .380, .40 S&W

As with others I have multiple guns for a good many of the calibers listed.

Like @Joker12 said: less than I want. :unsure:;)

Could gun purchase rehab be in the future?

One thing I noticed: a “Bi-Whelen”? Didn’t know the Whelen existed in a bisexual flavour!
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
I assume that you know that AI stands for "Ackley Improved". Well, my rifle is chambered for the "Brown Improved" Whelen, the subject of a long article in Gun Digest back in the early 1960's. It seems to be an interesting commentary on how your mind works for you to mistake "BI" for "Bi".

I think that it is important to have a gun for a task. As long as the gun has a task that it fulfills then it is not to many. I think once you have so many guns that the tasks are so small and specific it maybe too many. As an American I believe it is your right to own guns so if you want to have a huge amount go for it. For me though I have guns for important tasks and I get the best there is to fulfill that purpose.

At the present time i have
22 rimfire x2
22 mag
17 hmr
222 rem
223 rem
22 ppc
22 hornet
260 rem
6.5 Grendel
6.5x55 x2
243 win
240 weatherby
7x57
8x57
270 win
270wsm
6.5 creed moor
308 win x2
280 rem
30/06 x2
350 rem mag
9.3x62 in build
318 WR in build
12 gauge
20 gauge
My wife thinks i need help?

Yes you do need help you don’t even have a 257 Roberts or 25/06, and by the looks of it your not a magnum guy. But you don’t have two of my favorites. A 300 Win. And 375 H&H. I think a intervention is called for.

There no such thing as too many when you are exploring and testing, go as far and wide as you can go.

Could gun purchase rehab be in the future?

Gun hoarders anonymous meets here every third Wednesday of the month.............:)
There is a saying that I often say....
"It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit!!"
Check out my Christmas Guntree!

First, there is no such thing as "too many"

The ammo shortage has showed me that there is value in having obscure calibers.

In the Southeast, US it has not been hard to find hunting ammo in:

224 Valkyrie
303 British
30-40 Krag
350 Legend
450 Bushmaster

As things seem to be getting a little better, it looks like the more popular "military/police" rounds are coming back first:

5.56 x 45 (223 Rem)
7.62 x 51 (308 Win)
limited 30/06
9mm Luger
40 S&W
45 ACP

It's never enough, "too many" is not in my vocabulary. :)

The answer to the OP's question can only be answered with a question-how many calibers are there? Might have to add, how many different models are there in each caliber?
Had to go look, which is a good problem to have. Except when you find missing calibers that one has ammo for, but hasn't yet acquired the peashooter to go with it. Need to rectify a few of those. This is just a good start imo...

44 Cal BP
45 Cal BP
50 cal BP

12 Ga
20 Ga
28 Ga
410 Ga

17 HMR
22 LR
22 WMR
223 Rem
5.56 Nato
243 Win
250-3000 Sav
25-06 Rem
256 Gibbs Magnum
6.5 Jap
270 Win
270 WSM
7MM-08
7x65R
30 WCF
30-30 Win
308 Win
30-06 Sprg
300 WSM
300 Win Mag
9.3x74R
375 H&H Mag
43 Egyptian
45-70 Govt

9 MM
357 Mag
38 Longo (Long Colt)
40 S&W
10 MM
44 WCF
44-40 Win
45 ACP
45 Colt

Sometimes I just get jealous to hear how many rifles you guys have, In South Africa it is difficult getting that many as it is a hell of a process to get it licensed. So if that isn't holding you back, I don't think you can ever have too many....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khandi

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?