Heym 89B

It is my understanding there are three frames.

1.) the small bore frame. This is for 9.3x74r and 375HH flanged. You can order a special order 450-400 on this frame.

2.) the standard frame. Roughly the size of a 20 bore action. This is for 450-400, 450NE, 470NE, and 500NE.

3.) the jumbo frame. This is really for 577 and 600. It can be special ordered for 500NE (and I infer 470NE).
From talking with Chris there are now 5 frame size in the 88/89b with a greener action style cross bolt then there is the jumbo action which is different

When I ordered my 450NE 89B (Picture below) there were two frames available in that caliber. I selected the heavier frame as I planned on shooting it a lot. It is not easily decerned from the picture but the heavier frame requires larger diameter barrels at the breech end which makes it appear a little less trim than the light frame doubles.
89B.gif

When I ordered my 450NE 89B (Picture below) there were two frames available in that caliber. I selected the heavier frame as I planned on shooting it a lot. It is not easily decerned from the picture but the heavier frame requires larger diameter barrels at the breech end which makes it appear a little less trim than the light frame doubles. View attachment 465725
Beautiful!
Here is a picture of the light frame, which is the lightest they do, next to the Africa frame, the next one up. I wish Heym produced a comparative picture of all the frame sizes next to each other.
B26FC305-00A7-44C3-B189-C97011124A12.png

When I ordered my 450NE 89B (Picture below) there were two frames available in that caliber. I selected the heavier frame as I planned on shooting it a lot. It is not easily decerned from the picture but the heavier frame requires larger diameter barrels at the breech end which makes it appear a little less trim than the light frame doubles. View attachment 465725
That is truly a piece of art! I would be afraid of all the thorns scratching it up!

Beautiful!
Here is a picture of the light frame, which is the lightest they do, next to the Africa frame, the next one up. I wish Heym produced a comparative picture of all the frame sizes next to each other.
View attachment 465739
Kevin did I miss it? I have been waiting to see pictures of your new DR. When you ordered it you said 6-8 months and I know that time has passed. You saw all my pictures of the big buff and 4 PG I took with my 450-400 DR

Left to right jumbo frame, Grossbox, African or Large frame, then the medium frame. Picture is missing the last two smaller frames I got it from there German YouTube video. It would be nice to see some finished receivers/frames in all size with weights for each to give a idea.
from what info I got was the jumbo is for 577 and 600 with a option for 500 nitro.
then the grossbox was for 470,500 and could be had in 577 as well
Then there large frame could be had from 450/400 up to 500 and the medium frame could be had from 375 up to 450 so you had two option on frame size for a variety or nitro calibers. Depending on what you felt like.

4A34F1A8-306D-454C-BF8D-611B65177A07.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen either, Still Prefer the 88!
Outstanding, as mentioned before .. I've seen neither in person, however, almost still prefer the 88. I thought you had one to compare it by? Just curious
Thank You.

Last edited:
Addl: Does anyone know the Proverbial "Wait Time" for Heym?
Order to Delivery.

Thank You.

Addl: Does anyone know the Proverbial "Wait Time" for Heym?
Order to Delivery.

Thank You.

I’m at 15 months and counting, but I ordered a .577, so the longer wait is anticipated. I did recently get a serial number assigned, so things may be moving soon.

I think Chris Sells does this on purpose…while waiting on my Heym, I’m buying another Heym. Working with Chris now on snagging one of the remaining 26b’s they still have in Germany. 8x57 IRS of course…

I’m at 15 months and counting, but I ordered a .577, so the longer wait is anticipated. I did recently get a serial number assigned, so things may be moving soon.

I think Chris Sells does this on purpose…while waiting on my Heym, I’m buying another Heym. Working with Chris now on snagging one of the remaining 26b’s they still have in Germany. 8x57 IRS of course…
I am really curious to see this. The 1st 89 in 577!!!
Thank you & best of luck.
I remain,
Wbr, Dan.

Pity Heym dont make a .600 on the Grossbox frame...if they did I would seriously consider it. The Jumbo is waay to expensive...

As requested, a picture of my 89B and 88B 450NE doubles. The 89B is the heavier frame and the 88B the lighter frame. There is not a lot of visual difference in the breech area but the breech end of the barrels are bit larger in diameter on the 89B.
88B - Copy.gif
89B.gif

I believe there is a difference from the grossbox frame and the jumbo frame. The Grossbox is the larger of the standard box lock frames. It the 470 and the African frame it puts the rifle at 10-10.5 lbs in the grossbox it adds about a Lb to that to put the rifle in the 11lb range. It also adds about $1,000 to the gun US vs the jumbo being a lot more.
I went over this in detail with Chris Sells when I ordered my 89b in 450-400 as there was also two frame sizes I could have gone with on it as well being the standard or smaller size. Standard size put the rifle at 10lbs and the light frame put it at 9lbs it was mention that if I wanted to put a scope on the gun to go with the lighter frame and if I did not go with the larger frame.
My 88b in 500 nitro is on the African frame or standard PH frame and it just over 10lbs if I was going to have a 89b built in 470 or 500 I would probably opt for the larger grossbox frame to put the gun in the 11lb plus I think it also makes the bigger calibers balance better with the weight of the frame in the center of the rifle. Just my opinion. I have felt a few 89b in different calibers and sizes.
Thanks Uintaielkhunter… yeah that is exactly my interpretation - and opinion… and why im thinking to go with the grossbox. Diff in cost is not significant in the overall picture. Wait time im told by the Aussie dealer is 10-12mths. I dont believe that. Is the 89 gross box noticeably wider across the top and affect the “feel”? Looking at the picture of all the actions lined up - doesn't seem alot but in a finished gun it may change the feel?

As requested, a picture of my 89B and 88B 450NE doubles. The 89B is the heavier frame and the 88B the lighter frame. There is not a lot of visual difference in the breech area but the breech end of the barrels are bit larger in diameter on the 89B.
View attachment 465771View attachment 465772
Thanks Engineer.. Good comparison… very helpful… beautiful guns!.. esp the 89. For perspective, what are the wood grades on those two?

I placed an order at the beginning of April for a 450/400 and was told 12 months to delivery.
Waiting for a double is such a rewarding experience, you dream about it, you dream of using it and with every passing day it gets closer.

Hi Daniel, it isn't exactly spelt out for the 88B, but this is the story for the 89B and I should think it is the same for both:
PH model has grade 3 wood, no engraving, silver metal finish. Calibres available are 450/400, 470NE and 500NE. Frame weight is the medium 4.5kg.
You can also choose the Africa model which is also the 4.5kg frame in the plain spec, so in theory there is an overlap. There are a few other calibres you can choose for the Africa model that are not offered for the PH, I think 375 for example.
On price it is very confusing. I just ordered an Africa model in 450/400, with no frills, in effect the bottom PH model. I can't see Heym charging a premium because I didn't call it a PH, but strictly looking at their price list the PH is the cheapest.
Since posting this I have a few more pieces of information. It appears that the bottom of the Africa spec and the PH model are indeed the same thing. It isn't that the Africa version costs more, it is that the PH version costs less, the catch is that you have to be a PH to get the discount.

Beautiful!
View attachment 465739
So, heavier frame ='s Larger Barrel Profiles?
Thank you, when you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vera40518

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well