Help Me Choose a 1911 Pistol

Phil, I don't have a good answer for that. The sights I purchased were standard height. I fitted all parts together and installed the sights. I had no issues With the sights other than small left to right adjustment. The sights were 6 o'clock low after installation. Some people prefer dead on.

If you have major issues of up or down, the barrel or slide may not be fitted correctly, or you could just change your sights. That's a worst case scenario. A good gunsmith could tell you what's wrong with it.

Phil, I don't have a good answer for that. The sights I purchased were standard height. I fitted all parts together and installed the sights. I had no issues With the sights other than small left to right adjustment. The sights were 6 o'clock low after installation. Some people prefer dead on.

If you have major issues of up or down, the barrel or slide may not be fitted correctly, or you could just change your sights. That's a worst case scenario. A good gunsmith could tell you what's wrong with it.

Not suggesting anything is wrong per se. I just know the Glock I shot today was shooting 4" or so left and an inch or two low of point of aim at roughly 20'. I'm certainly know crack pistol shot, but the grouping was respectable. The PMC ammo may have contributed to this. But it made me wonder what I'd do at that point.

Rear sights are almost always drift adjustable, sometimes the front as well.

For elevation issues different weights of bullet will impact differently.

One thing I have discovered is absolute truth, getting old sucks. The Glock had the 3 dot night sights. But as far as my eyes were concerned, it was one dot that I was looking at cross eyed and seeing ghost dots to either side.......looks like a red dot for me. Lighting wasn't great in the indoor range, but still even in good light I don't think it would help much.

I highly recommend getting a fiber optic front site for your 1911. They are amazing- light up super bright during daylight hours.
020_262_00__78597.1434639155.1280.1280.jpg

You can also get fiber optic rear sites now- I just discovered these, not sure if they're any good...
S1.jpg

For at night/low light, crimson trace laser is definitely the way to go.

Attachments

• 020_262_00__78597.1434639155.1280.1280.jpg
    020_262_00__78597.1434639155.1280.1280.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by a moderator:
Kimberly hands down. Feels good in my hands. Not a Glock fan sorry.
Regards,
Philip

She cleans up real pretty from time to time! And I'll bet she does feel good inn the hands!

Does anybody shoot any of the Dan Wesson 1911's?

Phil
If you want a classic American gun go for the 1911. Is your club a normal pistol (bulls eye) or a IPSC/IDPA club. I would advice that you and your son first shoot the pistols to feel the ergonomics, kick and function of the pistol. For the 9mm for you son I would advice also the Clock or CZ 75/85 variant. (too many models to choose from) This pistols is very popular with IPSC/IDPA shooters and can be converted easily into a more competition gun if needed. Maybe buying yourself also a 9mm is perhaps a better sense seeing that you can developed the same load for both pistols and don't need to change dies when reloading. More ammo can be carried by the 9mm and for a defensive load the 9mm 147gr (rangers) also does the same job as the big 45/10mm at less cost with less bang.

If this is your first 1911, you most certainly do not want to be buying a Wilson Combat, let alone a Les Baer. These are extremely expensive guns for very experienced 1911 shooters. I would also tend to stay away from Colts as a first timer because they can be rather finicky. Also, please stay away from 10mm for now. It is a lot more than most people are looking for and quite pricey. Definitely not the best cartridge for a first 1911.

I recommend you start with either a Remington, Springfield, or Kimber. The latest Remington R1 is trash, but if you can one from a few years ago it will be the perfect first 1911. The Springfield Range Officer is a great gun and I think they also offer it in 9mm. I personally love the Kimber Eclipse and the Kimber Raptor. They are both pricier than the other two but just feel great.

If this is your first 1911, you most certainly do not want to be buying a Wilson Combat, let alone a Les Baer. These are extremely expensive guns for very experienced 1911 shooters. I would also tend to stay away from Colts as a first timer because they can be rather finicky. Also, please stay away from 10mm for now. It is a lot more than most people are looking for and quite pricey. Definitely not the best cartridge for a first 1911.

I recommend you start with either a Remington, Springfield, or Kimber. The latest Remington R1 is trash, but if you can one from a few years ago it will be the perfect first 1911. The Springfield Range Officer is a great gun and I think they also offer it in 9mm. I personally love the Kimber Eclipse and the Kimber Raptor. They are both pricier than the other two but just feel great.

It will sort of be my first 1911. I had a Beretta 92 something or other many years ago. Rarely shot it, got tired of looking at it and sold it for slightly more than I paid for it. That was more than 20 years ago.

I do like the Kimber Raptor. Haven't shot it, but a local shop had one and I checked it out a couple weeks ago.

Anyone have opinions on the Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm? Having a look at one on GB. That would be more for my son.

Phil
If you want a classic American gun go for the 1911. Is your club a normal pistol (bulls eye) or a IPSC/IDPA club. I would advice that you and your son first shoot the pistols to feel the ergonomics, kick and function of the pistol. For the 9mm for you son I would advice also the Clock or CZ 75/85 variant. (too many models to choose from) This pistols is very popular with IPSC/IDPA shooters and can be converted easily into a more competition gun if needed. Maybe buying yourself also a 9mm is perhaps a better sense seeing that you can developed the same load for both pistols and don't need to change dies when reloading. More ammo can be carried by the 9mm and for a defensive load the 9mm 147gr (rangers) also does the same job as the big 45/10mm at less cost with less bang.

They have various leagues and levels. Couldn't remember them all.

I've shot a friends Dan Wesson long slide. It was very a accurate with his handloads.

That Raptor site is a nice looking gun! I found a hell of a deal on my Two-Tone that I couldn't pass on. Like most of my gun purchases, I wasn't looking to buy that day....
Maybe that's why my daughter says I have a problem!

Got a bobtail that I carry quite a bit, great gun. I was glad to see the name rejuvenated.

It will sort of be my first 1911. I had a Beretta 92 something or other many years ago. Rarely shot it, got tired of looking at it and sold it for slightly more than I paid for it. That was more than 20 years ago.

I do like the Kimber Raptor. Haven't shot it, but a local shop had one and I checked it out a couple weeks ago.

Anyone have opinions on the Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm? Having a look at one on GB. That would be more for my son.
If you like the Raptor then I highly recommend that you get it. I have shot the P226 and it is a really solid feeling gun but pretty bulky for anything other than range use. I own a Sig P239 in .357 sig that is great for carry and they now make it in 9mm if you want. It seems that you are looking for a 9mm not in the 1911 platform. I would take a look at the H&K P30. I love mine.

If you like the Raptor then I highly recommend that you get it. I have shot the P226 and it is a really solid feeling gun but pretty bulky for anything other than range use. I own a Sig P239 in .357 sig that is great for carry and they now make it in 9mm if you want. It seems that you are looking for a 9mm not in the 1911 platform. I would take a look at the H&K P30. I love mine.

Kind of looking at both I guess. A friend who shoots competitively and is quite good from what I can tell pointed me in the direction of a Sig P320. There's a version that includes a red dot and can be had for $800 give/take.

I have been a 1911 fan for many years and have owned several and shot many more. Not to ruffle any feathers but the Sig and the S&W 1911 pistols are not really true 1911's the both have external extractors, not that there is any thing wrong with them but neither floats my boat. There are several good choices that are basically Colt clones, on the low end price wise are RIA/Armscor and ATI both are solid guns and can be had in some variations for less than $500.00. I went looking for another shooter 1911 a couple of weeks ago and fell into a Colt National Match made in 1967, the gun belonged to an older gentleman and was his daily carry gun for many years, it had been modified and had a lot of holster wear so I got it for a song. Had I not done that I would likely have bought a Springfield or Kimber, I really like the looks of the Springfield Range Officer or the Kimber CDP. The Ruger is also a nice pistol but I have never shot one of these. I also love Colts, any of them!

Dude.... get a crimson trace on the grip of that 1911..... badass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarloBarge

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?