Help Me Choose a 1911 Pistol

For stock 1911, I'd recommend Springfield armory and Kimber.

If you really want custom, I recommend you call Caspian. They can provide you the name of a qualified gunsmith in your area. Then select the material, SS or carbon steel, serrations, trigger, hammer, sights, grips, checkering, etc, to get yourself a truly custom 1911. If someone else can purchase the same thing from Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk or the like, then it's not truly custom.

I built a custom for my wife last year, and it is truly hers.

For the .45, a Colt, Kimber or Sig, to stay under $1500. If you go custom, the sky is the limit. For the 9mm for the son, a world of choices. A Glock is a great pistol, but a completely different animal from a 1911 of any brand. I carried a Beretta M9 internationally for over 12 years because I had to . I shoot them well if not perfect. But they are heavy and clunky. I despise them and would never buy one.

2nd that Beretta comment

IMG_4686.JPG
Phil,
Here is that Sig Max.

Phil, you mentioned the guys at your club were shooting in a league. To me that means competition, in any competition accuracy is the name of the game. Ask ALL of the manufacturers named in the answers to your post to guarantee you a group size and furnish a target shot by the gun you bought to show that it did. They won't do it. Mind you that in Bullseye you shoot 50 yards. The guns I recommended to you will shoot a 10 shot 1 & 1/4" group at 50 yards, and either one will send you the targets backing up their claim. My Accuracy X shoots 1.2" groups at 50 yards with factory ammo. If a 4 to 8 inch group floats your boat than several but not all of the "other" guns mentioned will do.

Ruger & Remington are more than half that budget & great. You're welcome to shoot both of mine when you're in town

Colt, Ruger, Springfield, S&W, Remington, Kimber--all these are great 1911s right out of the box. And they all can be endlessly customized. (Well, "endlessly" up to your budget's limit.) I've owned most and used them all. Surprisingly, I've found the Remington R1 one of the easiest and most accurate, and it's less pricey than some. The Kimber is wonderful. Really, you can't go wrong with any of these. As for the Glocks: well, I'll admit they're not big on aesthetics, but they are absolutely dependable, easy to master, and easy to maintain. I've owned several. Still do. For what it's worth, my carry guns are usually Glocks.

BTW.... Walther makes a great firearm. Their new Creed is badass. Go grip a walther pistol, if you do.... you buy. I chose a walther over H&K

I haven't used any Walther besides the P22, but it shot very well.
HK VP9 for me was the best pistol grouping I've ever shot. 12yd swinging target, and maybe 3 inches on the set. I'll not win a competition, but I could certainly hit within one "minute of a-hole" with it

Well I stopped by an indoor range that rents out various handguns, primarily Glocks. Tried a Glock 40 in 10mm. Not a big deal recoil wise as far as being painful. But definitely not what I'm interested in for shooting in leagues. Too much muzzle jump to stay on target. So thinking a 9mm and a .45 just cause I've always wanted one of the latter.

One thing I have discovered is absolute truth, getting old sucks. The Glock had the 3 dot night sights. But as far as my eyes were concerned, it was one dot that I was looking at cross eyed and seeing ghost dots to either side.......looks like a red dot for me. Lighting wasn't great in the indoor range, but still even in good light I don't think it would help much.

You can get hi-viz sights in differing colors. Green rear, orange front, or a few other combos

I did see one mention of STI and I second that, they make a nice 1911 within your price range, notice I didn't say point:eek:, most annoying,:ROFLMAO: LOL. I have one and its great, also have a Colt in .38 Super that is a joy to shoot, and a Remington R1, a rare bird with the OD green frame. And last but not least my most recent 1911 is an Auto Ordnance from Kahr, all steel GI model made in the US. Less than $500 and well worth it. For a nine, you might look at the Ruger SR9, we have one here and its an excellent reliable pistol that shoots verrrry well. I have been pondering the Springfield Mil Spec model, which is just different enough from my others to justify it.

Well I stopped by an indoor range that rents out various handguns, primarily Glocks. Tried a Glock 40 in 10mm. Not a big deal recoil wise as far as being painful. But definitely not what I'm interested in for shooting in leagues. Too much muzzle jump to stay on target. So thinking a 9mm and a .45 just cause I've always wanted one of the latter.

One thing I have discovered is absolute truth, getting old sucks. The Glock had the 3 dot night sights. But as far as my eyes were concerned, it was one dot that I was looking at cross eyed and seeing ghost dots to either side.......looks like a red dot for me. Lighting wasn't great in the indoor range, but still even in good light I don't think it would help much.
I remember my late dad once told me when he was about my age, now 63, he said. "Lemme tell you something son, the Golden Years suck!" Or the loopy nurse that told me when I had just turned 60 and was whining about something, "oh don't you know, 60 is the new 30". To which I replied, yeah bullshit!

More reasons for me to not get old. People ask my age: 29 again. I'm not certain, but I think I'm on round four.....

I forgot to take a picture of my wife's 1911 I made for her.
1490674213826.jpeg
1490674240107.jpeg

I aspire to build myself a Caspian one day. I've got a long YouTube list of a guy's chronicle of doing it I'll reference when the time comes

Yes, slide and lower. Did the work myself. Storm lake barrel, Ed Brown sear, disconnector and hammer. Wilson recoil spring. Chip McCormick magazines. Tritium sights.

I aspire to build myself a Caspian one day. I've got a long YouTube list of a guy's chronicle of doing it I'll reference when the time comes
It is well worth it. I have about $1000 in parts, and three months work in it. I took my time fitting each part. Smooth as silk. I didn't make the trigger too light as my wife wants to make this her carry. It is a commander 4".

Stupid question....for the non-adjustable 3 dot sights, if the rounds you're shooting are significantly off from point of aim, what do you do now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim T

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!